Flight Simulator Replay System Tutorial - Part TWO - Camera Views and the Timeline

I don't know why it's called a Replay when it's actually a video recorder. Early FS Up to FSX (I believe) had used a system where you could instant replay up to X seconds and not have to save the replay to file. Also it allowed you to switch views during the replay unlike this MSFS video recorder. It was simple and always a staple of FS. This "replay" on MSFS seems clunky and overly complex compared to the earlier replay tools of FS past.
Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10

Agreed, this is way more complicated than it needs to be - I’m not looking to turn every replay of a landing into a cinematic production. Knowing this is the direction they are taking with “replay” it looks like I’ll be pursuing one of the third-party addons, even if it’s payware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have just tried out the replay feature.. and although it’s a little buggy.. it does work. You CAN play it back and change the views during flight!

I did a quick take off and fly aroundafter pressing the record button. I didn’t use my VR headset during the recording.

I stopped the recording and played it back..in VR. I could look around, just as I can normally. I sat back and enjoyed the ride. I checked it in 2D mode and it worked just the same, using my mouse to look around :)

The camera view option in this (part 2) is only if you want to make a video. But to sit back and watch your recording, you don’t need to bother doing this.

It is exactly what I’ve been waiting for! I can now re-fly my flights as a passenger.. in 2d or VR! It’s perfect for demonstrating the sim to friends and family, without them having to worry about controlling the aircraft.

Playback does appear to be a little jerky ( certainly in VR) but it’s not bad.

Edit: actually it doesn’t playback exactly as I would like.l just had another go and although I am free to look around during playback, the view was changing around by itself.. playing the view I was seeing as I made the recording. When I made the (brief) first recording, I did most of it in external view. Then watching the recording while sat inside the plane was fine. However, recording it while sat in the plane also records your head movements. Hope this makes sense.

I take it back… taken the Typhoon (addon) for a spin. Recording in external view now appears to only playback in external view. I can look around though LOL

I guess the new feature is full of bugs, but it’s a start.

If you record a flight, keeping your head/view aimed forward then it’ll work a treat and you can play it back, enjoying the views.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know why it's called a Replay when it's actually a video recorder. Early FS Up to FSX (I believe) had used a system where you could instant replay up to X seconds and not have to save the replay to file. Also it allowed you to switch views during the replay unlike this MSFS video recorder. It was simple and always a staple of FS. This "replay" on MSFS seems clunky and overly complex compared to the earlier replay tools of FS past.

From an interview with Jorg Neumann (head of MSFS) His words:

[Replay system] We intend to improve the UI as it’s a big deal. It’s the area we need to staff up a little bit as there’s so much UI. The replay system isn’t being held back by a technical system, but the UI. We have a path throughout 2022 to make it cool and slick. I want to be able to fly somewhere and have a great experience and the tool backtracks the last 30-seconds and a button spits out what I saw and sends it to my socials.