Steam could be culprit

Has anyone ever come to the conclusion that maybe some of the problems with MSFS is actually steam. I notice that some of my problems, including this morning makes me think steam is the problem.

Once in awhile I get a bandwidth error during flight, saying my internet bandwidth is to low so it takes me off line, and my scenery goes to shit. This usually happens during high traffic for steam....Friday evenings, Saturday and Sunday or any evening, when everyone is on line playing games or doing what we do - flying.

My theory is that steam is over loaded, and the become clogged with more than they can handle. I think this is also problem with certain times that I get the blue screen of death, or my sim just kicks out or freezes.

we may be too quick to blame all problems on the sim, it could be something outside of the software.

I have a pretty high end machine, and most of the time I am very fortunate that I do not have problems in game operation, but then I wonder if maybe the real problem is steam. I wish sometimes that I could separate my software from Steam , just to see....but I am sure that is not possible.

As far as my internet, I am on cable, unlimited data, If I run speed check I am between 180 - 200 MPS....it is not my internet.

hobbitrocks

Network issues can be hard to diagnose as there are a number of possible issues.

What anti-virus and/firewall are you running? Some of these can interfere with internet traffic.

What router are you using? Have you had trouble streaming from other services, such as Netflix? Are there other devices on the network pulling significant amounts of data at the same time? Some routers, especially the ones ISPs often provide, can't handle much of a load. They may be fine running an internet speed test, but not a continuous load from a streaming service, for example.

Does it happen any time of the day, or only certain times, such as the evening? Cable internet networks are usually shared amongst all subscribers in the area, and if everyone is online at once (before and after work), speeds for everyone can suffer if the ISP hasn't properly provisioned the network.

There could also be issues along the line between your house and the ISP. For example, my parents had intermittent connection problems that took a few months to sort out a few years ago. Turned out to be a loose connection in the phone line between their place the telephone exchange that was occasionally being knocked out by the wind.