Frustrated with A320 Autopilot

Sorry, but I've been working on this diligently, and have looked at several YouTubes that pretend to explain the AP in the 320. None of them does an adequate job.

Can someone refer me to a source that explains the very basics of how this thing works? I find that, once airborne with a flight plan generated at the Welcome screen, my plane insists on heading back where it came from -- but then going into an infinite circular path from which there is no escape.

And BTW, what does the "LOC" button do?

Sorry, but I've been working on this diligently, and have looked at several YouTubes that pretend to explain the AP in the 320. None of them does an adequate job.

Can someone refer me to a source that explains the very basics of how this thing works? I find that, once airborne with a flight plan generated at the Welcome screen, my plane insists on heading back where it came from -- but then going into an infinite circular path from which there is no escape.

And BTW, what does the "LOC" button do?

Are you using FBW A32NX or the vanilla version?

The FBW A32NX is the airbus mod Fly By Wire: https://flybywiresim.com/

In the Documentation pages on that website is a comprehensive beginner's guide which explains everything.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The FBW A32NX is the airbus mod Fly By Wire: https://flybywiresim.com/

In the Documentation pages on that website is a comprehensive beginner's guide which explains everything.

Fascinating. I am a hobbyist. I run flight simulators for fun and relaxation. I understand one can delve much more deeply into various aspects of aviation, and I may do that some day. Right now, though, all I want to know is:

(a) How can you get the AP to track a flight plan generated by the sim on the home page, and

(b) what does the "LOC" button do?

B) does A).

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The flight plan should be loaded into the flight computer by the time you load into the sim. Once you get in the air, if you hit the auto pilot button it should follow the flight path.

The "LOC" button is localizer and you use it when you intercept the localizer at your destination airport.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The flight plan should be loaded into the flight computer by the time you load into the sim. Once you get in the air, if you hit the auto pilot button it should follow the flight path.

The "LOC" button is localizer and you use it when you intercept the localizer at your destination airport.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I see this is your first post. Tiger1962, with 3,235 posts (see above in this thread) says, if I understand him, that LOC makes the AP track a flight plan. Not saying you're wrong, just sayin'.

But if simply engaging the AP would track a flight plan, I never would have started this thread. Of course, what should happen in MSFS does not always happen.

I see this is your first post. Tiger1962, with 3,235 posts (see above in this thread) says, if I understand him, that LOC makes the AP track a flight plan. Not saying you're wrong, just sayin'.

I wouldn't use post counts for that purpose.

Cheers!

Give this video a watch. Its made by a real life A320 pilot

One thing to remember with the Airbus autopilot knobs is that they are push-pull.

You push to give control to the airplane

You pull to take control of the airplane

I have the same problem with Flybywire A320neo latest MOD. Previously I used fly and had no problem with AP but with the current mode I could not use the autopilot the controls don't response even you

can not engage the autopilot Master switch. The video is helpful and the video was made with the stock

model long ago. Hope some body will make a new video for autopiloting with the latest FlyBywire A320neo

With Regards

The latest FBW version is 0.7.1, you can download the installer here: https://flybywiresim.com/

This is the 0.7.1 changlelog:

ATA 22: Auto Flight - Flight Management

Use heading as track at low ground speeds - @beheh (Benedict Etzel)

Fixed issue with TO flight phase transition when no V2 is entered and airport is near sea level - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Use correct variable to determine lateral AP mode for APPROACH phase switch - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Fix GPS ground speed monitor to show ground speed in knots rather than meters/second - @donstim (donbikes#4084)

Fix GPS ground speed on IRS status page to show ground speed in knots rather than meters/second - @donstim (donbikes#4084)

Fixed length limitation for system messages - @derl30n (Leon)

Fixed transition alt init and display - @derl30n (Leon)

Fixed misaligned items on ecam memos - @tyler58546 (tyler58546)#

ATA 22: Auto Flight

Improved speed dependent roll law model - @IbrahimK42 (IbrahimK42)

Improved flight director guidance - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Improved turn coordination in manual flight - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Roll normal law is no longer using elasticity table - @IbrahimK42 (IbrahimK42)

Improved LOC law and condition - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Improved LOC ALIGN law - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Improved G/S law - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Allow V/S push and pull during ALT CPT - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Soft Altitude mode uses now FMGC flight phase to detect cruise situation - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Improved LOC* law - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Improved ROLL OUT law - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Improved behavior in cruise when using high sim rate with roll performance - @aguther (Andreas Guther) and @IbrahimK42 (IbrahimK42)

Fixed V/S, FPA or ALT* speed protection to engage too early on high altitudes - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Improved SPD/MACH law model - @IbrahimK42 (IbrahimK42)

Fixed issue with TO flight phase transition when no V2 is entered and airport is near sea level - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Fixed instability of roll law due to turbulence or low performance - @IbrahimK42 (IbrahimK42) and @aguther (Andreas Guther)

ATA 29: Hydraulic

Placeholder simvar to trigger ptu high pitch sound - @crocket6 (crocket)

ATA 31: Indicating/Recording Systems

Fix mach number flickering between mach 0.45 and 0.5 - @beheh (Benedict Etzel)

ATA 34: Navigation

Fix for incrementing ISIS pressure values - @RichardPilbery (tricky_dicky#3571)

ATA 46: Information Systems

Fixed misaligned items on ecam memos - @tyler58546 (tyler58546)

ATA 72: Engines

Correctly adapt fuel burn with sim rate - @aguther (Andreas Guther)

Refactor FADEC and fuel consumption code (comments, variable nomenclature and overall clean-up) - @Taz5150 (TazX [Z+2]#0405)

3D Model / Sound / Textures / Animations

Pack sounds use new APU model variables - @tracernz (Mike)

Landing lights retract fully and independently - @tracernz (Mike)

Miscellaneous

Fix lbs to kgs units conversion to match MSFS - @donstim (donbikes#4084)

EFB - OFP supports all formats - @tracernz (Mike)

But if simply engaging the AP would track a flight plan, I never would have started this thread. Of course, what should happen in MSFS does not always happen.

Here I made a little video to show what im talking about.

and to my other point

From google with the question "what is loc in autopilot"

"An instrument landing system localizer, or simply localizer (LOC), is a system of horizontal guidance in the instrument landing system, which is used to guide aircraft along the axis of the runway."

That google result was located by searching "A320 LOC button"

It depends which part of the flight plan you're trying to follow, but this is progress - you're learning that the Airbus isn't a jump in and go plane, it demands study and practice.

It depends which part of the flight plan you're trying to follow, but this is progress - you're learning that the Airbus isn't a jump in and go plane, it demands study and practice.

Yes. And simple declarative sentences are often confusing.