I can't find the rudder trim wheel for the Cessna 172 in MSFS. On the real 172, it is right above the fuel tank selector in the lower middle, but it isn't there in MSFS. Am I missing something, or did they just not bother to plan for crosswinds? Thank you.

I can't find the rudder trim wheel for the Cessna 172 in MSFS. On the real 172, it is right above the fuel tank selector in the lower middle, but it isn't there in MSFS. Am I missing something, or did they just not bother to plan for crosswinds? Thank you.

It appears they left it out. I've got joystick bindings for rudder and elevator trim and the rudder trim does nothing in flight.

Like avallillo says, few C-172s have rudder trim -- generally just an adjustable tab on the trailing edge of the rudder. The only one's I've ever seen are on a C-172RG. In fact few light singles with 160 HP or less have rudder trim. Those with stronger engines and more speed range often have rudder trim, such as the C-182 (or Cherokee 235) and up, the Bonanza, Mooney and many more.

or did they just not bother to plan for crosswinds?

I'm not sure what rudder trim has to do with crosswinds. For landing in a crosswind you crab down final until in the flare (this is a coordinated maneuver), at which point rudder pressure is used to keep the nose pointed down the runway and aileron pressure (thus a bank angle) are used to keep the aircraft over the center of the runway (a slip). Those pressures vary* almost constantly, thus cannot be trimmed away.

======================

* The pressures vary as the wind velocity (and/or direction) changes (often gusting) AND as the airspeed changes as you slow to touchdown (usually on one main wheel).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I've flown C172s and C152s in the RW and none of them have had rudder trims. The sim aircraft are very realistic.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)