Frame Rate Dropoff

Why does the frame rate decrease after like an hour or 2 of flying but the graphics temp and everything else is the same. And i am not talking about changing scenery i could be flying over the ocean for an hour or 2 and it goes down i start around 43 fps after an hour i am down to 17 to 20 anyone notice this?
windows 11, asus crosshair viii dark hero, 64mb g.skill d4 4000 ram, amd ryan9 5950 clocked to 4.3, noctua nh-u12s, asus rtx 4080 oc, 2x samsung 980 pro ssd 3tb m.2 nvme x3

What is your traffic setting? The traffic is a huge processing load. As you fly, more traffic enters the calculations.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I had this exact same thing happen to me yesterday on a CJ4 flight from Wichita KS to Atlanta GA and I couldn't figure out what was going on. It started out the usual solid locked 60fps and stayed that way for about a half hour. Then while at cruising altitude at FL410 I noticed the FPS start averaging 50s which never happens, especially in clear weather and up that high. Then about every 15 minutes after the average FPS dropped between 5-10FPS. By the time I was on final approach my FPS had dipped to the 20s and it was definitely noticeable.

It scared the heck out of me as I thought my new GPU was failing and throttling back. However GeForce Experience (GFE) monitoring showing no temp, fan RPM, or voltage fluctuations. At first. Then by the last leg of the flight I happened to notice the GPU running very cool at low 40s Celsius and only consuming about 130W of power, about 100W less than normal under load. Something is going on either with the sim or my GPU. I shut down for a few hours then tried the same flight going back to Wichita. The issue did not repeat and the weather and traffic were identical. Same with a later night flight in an entirely different region of the country. A very strange occurrence that to me, a newcomer to MSFS of about a month and a half in and ~60 hours, had never seen (and hope to never see again).

I don't know what your GPU is but if you have an Nvidia try using GFE and use a card monitoring overlay for performance. I took a physical photo of my experience while frames were in the 30s and note low GPU temp and wattage (GFR monitoring overlay is in the lower right of the screen). The FPS here should be banging 60FPS and GPU temp in upper 50s Celsius and wattage draw 230s. Clearly something was going on with the sim not fully utilizing my GPU at that time.FPS Failing (test 2).jpg

Edited by N069NT
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

Kinda makes me wonder if the firmware has some kind of heat protection to preserve the GPU. Are you using a liquid cooler on your card 69NT? If so there goes my theory.

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

Kinda makes me wonder if the firmware has some kind of heat protection to preserve the GPU. Are you using a liquid cooler on your card 69NT? If so there goes my theory.

No sir. Just air like my CPU and I have a very high air flow case (see sig). This never happened in my racing sim games or the classic GPU benchmark test Heaven. In addition, I have a custom aggressive fan curve to ramp up fan RPM to 70% at 60C and 75% at 65C. It has never exceeded 62C. I've tried both Nvidia's own Precision X tool as well as MSI's Afterburner so I know it's not an EVGA or Nvidia issue. Or was. Just finished yet another flight from ATL to MIA and zero issues. All numbers normal.

I think it was just some fluke in MSFS being at the wrong place at the wrong time when loading the sim and something acted as a parasite to the hardware. I'm glad however I'm not the only one to experience this.

PS: Just noticed you are in/from Florala. Destin/FWB native here!

Edited by N069NT
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

If you have live traffic, the CPU will be working hard to position all the aircraft in the area, while the GPU does little to aid the process. Also, live weather might cause some of this. Try disabling live traffic ans live weather and see if it occurs?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Well that's just it. My CPU usage was only at ~20%. Additionally, the GPU is only running at 36%. The GPU usage normally runs between 60-70% in usage and the CPU rarely above 25% anywhere. That's why I keep that GFE tool overlay up on regular occasion to monitor what the hardware is doing. I didn't have HWMonitor running at the time to monitor % use on the eight cores but wished I had.

Again, I have never experienced this until that one time yesterday in 48 flying cycles in a wide variety of locations and traffic/weather. I just finished another one hour VFR flight around the Orlando area with lots of traffic and live weather with cumulus clouds. If it happens again I will document with incremental screenshots. The common denominator here is the continued linear decline in FPS performance no matter where you are in the flight. It's clearly not my hardware and something going on with the sim.

Edited by N069NT

PS: Just noticed you are in/from Florala. Destin/FWB native here!

I noticed the other day you were in GA and started to ask you about it. If you ever fly in here at KOJ4 you will fly right over my house! But watch out for the Heli's and V22's! Its a fuel stop for Army and Navy/Marines training. The BBQ is very popular when they have it as well!

Still playing around with the settings on the new monitor with the under performance video card. Planning on posting when I've exhausted all settings to somewhat satisfy me. Bottom line is you guys were right...LOL

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

is my frame rate good i got everything to the max and i mean everything and ive everything aso, so fying a miitary jet around new york city i am at 43 fps at very low altitudes . i am using

amd threadripper 2990wx 32 core

asus gaming x-399-e

nvidia 2080ti

40 gigs 3200 ram

1tb internal ssd drive

and i dont have many programs loaded

windows 11, asus crosshair viii dark hero, 64mb g.skill d4 4000 ram, amd ryan9 5950 clocked to 4.3, noctua nh-u12s, asus rtx 4080 oc, 2x samsung 980 pro ssd 3tb m.2 nvme x3