VFR in the PNW: I'm Getting a Call from the FAA

engine70

After spending all my flight sim years using a joystick, I've finally upgraded to a yoke and rudder pedals which has really been a game changer. Hand flying with the joystick was okay, but with my new controls I can't get enough of hand flying GA aircraft, and doing it around awesome scenery is even better! Now that I have new controls, I decided to also try out a new area to fly, the Pacific Northwest. This area is really nice, and of course MSFS does a great job of making it feel like you're really there. Today's flight is fully VFR, and most of it is flown by hand with the exception of a few small stretches where the autopilot was used. We departed Darrington Municipal Airport (1S2) in Washington, flew around Seattle, over Orca's Island and then back to Darrington. There was a high overcast layer when we started, but the weather gradually improved as we went along making for a great end to our evening. Here we go!

*Part One of Two*

qHTRTrV.jpg?1

We're on the ramp in Darrington getting ready to bring the Bonanza (with the improvement mod of course) to life under the overcast skies

kih1mDC.jpg?1

With the run-up complete we're getting up to full power on the runway and heading out. See ya later Darrington! For real though, we'll be back later

3c7QBU5.jpg?1

Right after takeoff we spent about ten minutes flying down the valley in the Cascade Mountains as we head towards Seattle

h5c1vht.jpg?1

After leaving the valley we made a left turn and leveled off at 3500' well below the overcast layer. We also had a nice view west of Port Susan Bay

Bej0hyj.jpg?1

Passing over Paine Field in Everett and getting ready to head down the Puget Sound towards Seattle

svI5XlY.jpg?1

Not long after the city of Seattle begins to come into view. By the time we leave the area we will have busted the Bravo airspace and will almost certainly be accused of reckless flying. Lets live a little!

UTmuXAS.jpg?1

It's the Space Needle, ever heard of it?

XIBPeDQ.jpg?1

CenturyLink Field (now Lumen Field), home of the Seahawks, and T-Mobile Park, home of the Mariners

h64TL0t.jpg?1

After already busting the Bravo airspace, we decided to take a close up tour of the city (I'm not a chart expert, but I believe we're at least under the Bravo at this height, so there's that...)

fxJxhT0.jpg?1

And just in case people weren't able to make out our tail number to include in their complaint to the FAA, we decided to do a low pass over Lake Union before leaving the area

Part two in the reply.

Ryzen 5 3600X | RTX 2060 | 32 GB 3200 G.Skill RAM | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 SSD

*Part Two*

sq1Wabl.jpg?1

After our crazy antics around Seattle it was time to get back to business as we leveled off over the Puget Sound on our way towards Orcas Island

4ruL4hT.jpg?1

This is as far north as we would make it on this trip, we're making a turn to the East over Orcas Island airport and will be heading southeast shortly so we can get home before dark (hopefully)

G9QzwRB.jpg?1

Want to know how much time I've spend flying low over water in MSFS? I've had this sim for a year now and just learned that the ships really move in the water, hence the picture that isn't centered

tnvgadS.jpg?1

The valley where Darrington sits in the Cascades is basically a big 'U' shape. Darrington is located in the Southeast side of the valley. We're entering the valley from the Northwest, will follow the valley around and come in for landing on runway 28. The weather is also starting to improve which will help with visibility as the sun is beginning to set

M52GUjW.jpg?1

Passing over Concrete, Washington which is located in the Northeast corner of the valley.

jklnSMn.jpg?1

Flying down the eastern part of the valley towards Darrington. Looks like we're going to beat the sunset!

TKE84Cv.jpg?1

There is a mountain just off the end of the runway here, so our approach involved a sharp turn at low altitude, but we made it! No chance I was pulling that off with my old joystick

OWhyHm7.jpg?1

Parked back on the ramp safe and sound! Now to check my phone and email to see if I already have a message from the FAA

hzVsifv.jpg?1

I'm going to make a quick stop in that Coastal Bank before heading home to see about getting a loan to pay my fines

Thanks for viewing!

*Disclaimer: I'm from the Northeast, so if any of my landmarks or locations are incorrect, blame Google Maps!

2020 sure makes the PNW look good Chris. Fine work with the flight and a very informative narrative as usual. Great job! :cool: :)

I agree great shots!!

As to the discussion of using a yoke versus a joystick. I have both yoke and joystick plus rudder pedals, auto pilot control panel, etc.

When I fly a plane that comes RW with a yoke I use the yoke. It it's a plane that RW uses a joystick or from a chopper guy's perspective a cyclic I use the joystick and when flying a chopper use the throttle as it were the collective. The throttle as collective isn't as realistic as I'd prefer but haven't figured a better way to do it.

I feel when sim flying one should use whatever control setup a specific plane comes out of the factory with.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I agree great shots!!

As to the discussion of using a yoke versus a joystick. I have both yoke and joystick plus rudder pedals, auto pilot control panel, etc.

When I fly a plane that comes RW with a yoke I use the yoke. It it's a plane that RW uses a joystick or from a chopper guy's perspective a cyclic I use the joystick and when flying a chopper use the throttle as it were the collective. The throttle as collective isn't as realistic as I'd prefer but haven't figured a better way to do it.

I feel when sim flying one should use whatever control setup a specific plane comes out of the factory with.

Thank you!

It's funny you mention the joystick versus yoke thing because just the other day I was thinking that, although I really enjoy the yoke, I will probably go back to the joystick when I fly the a320. It just won't feel right flying that with a yoke.

Thank you!

It's funny you mention the joystick versus yoke thing because just the other day I was thinking that, although I really enjoy the yoke, I will probably go back to the joystick when I fly the a320. It just won't feel right flying that with a yoke.

There's an old saying "Horses for Courses."

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.