Where To Buy FS2020 For PC?

OK, this might be the dumb question of the day, but where can I purchase FS2020 for the PC? All I seem to find is the program for the X-Box...Or are they the same download? Excuse my ignorance! (It comes naturally)...

Steve

Steve in Kansas

7 Miles NW of KGCK

For North America the only two officially supported options to purchase the sim are through the Microsoft or Steam online stores. When buying through the Microsoft Store, you get both the PC and Xbox versions as they are basically the same program (the Xbox itself is really just a specialized PC). Part of what makes it confusing is that a couple years ago Microsoft decided to move all of their gaming properties under the Xbox brand, including the PC side.

On top of the above, there is also Microsoft's Game Pass subscription service. This is a similar type service to Netflix, but for games. While the subscription only makes sense if you play a lot of games, you can use the $1 trial for the first month to try out the sim and see how it runs on your PC.

If I may, I would recommend going the $1 trail first. The current attitude of the community towards the sim is, shall we say, ambivalent. So satsifaction is far from garuanteed (although I happen to be quite satisfied myself).

Anyway, I hope the sim is good to you, should you decide to jump in.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Well there is a third option for purchase: a boxed retail copy. I did that only for nostalgia sake with a small hard cover manual and other little trinkets. The down side is that it takes 10 hours to load from an external USB 3.0 drive (the original version has 10 DVDs, my version has 8 DVDs). It may go faster if you have a PC with a built in DVD drive.

If you go that route however, be advised you will still have to download all the updates since whatever DVD version you bought which will rewrite a lot of files. I have full support from MS for it. And yes, when I log in to MS Store to load the sim, it shows up as my Xbox account which I had to create for using it (I do not own an Xbox and never have and never will for a console - Playstation gamer here). You can find DVD copies for sale on aviation store sites (I used MyPilotStore).

All that said, it cannot be emphasized enough you will need serious PC hardware to run it like you see in 4K videos on Youtube.

i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

If I may, I would recommend going the $1 trail first. The current attitude of the community towards the sim is, shall we say, ambivalent. So satsifaction is far from garuanteed (although I happen to be quite satisfied myself).

Anyway, I hope the sim is good to you, should you decide to jump in.

Agree!!

Also, buy the top version you want! There is an upgrade path if you choose the least expensive version, then get permission from your wife (as an anniversary present) to purchase the most expensive one.

You WILL NOT get a break on the $$$

Just an FYI :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality