Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: After new update menu bar

I keep forgetting you’re an Xbox user now
    So even with an Xbox you still prefer to use a mouse the old way? Lol
    I don’t know why they had to change it.

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset
    Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit - Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

LOL! Yeah I'm one of those LGB people - Let's Get Both!
    I have the PC and Xbox versions, just can't get enough MSFS. The keyboard and mouse are essentials, I got myself a 19.99 Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo with batteries included!
    I've decided to pre-order the Turtle Beach yoke since I have no problem with the trigger-operated rudder on the Xbox controller, and when you look closely, the Turtle Beach yoke is actually an Xbox controller shaped like a yoke - very cleverly done indeed and it's now ideal for both PC and Xbox.
    Oh - the menu bar (I just remembered the subject of this thread!) does fade away on Xbox by the way, but pressing L for Lights doesn't work and neither does / for Spoilers or Enter for Continue on the UI screens.
    Xbox hasn't had a Hotfix yet but maybe it's due for one next week - I hope it doesn't turn out to be the son of the PC version... I'm really enjoying doing a discovery flight on PC, then repeating it on Xbox - I'll leave it to you all to guess why.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 07-31-2021 at 05:08 PM.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    LOL! Yeah I'm one of those LGB people - Let's Get Both!
    I have the PC and Xbox versions, just can't get enough MSFS. The keyboard and mouse are essentials, I got myself a 19.99 Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo with batteries included!
    I've decided to pre-order the Turtle Beach yoke since I have no problem with the trigger-operated rudder on the Xbox controller, and when you look closely, the Turtle Beach yoke is actually an Xbox controller shaped like a yoke - very cleverly done indeed and it's now ideal for both PC and Xbox.
    Oh - the menu bar (I just remembered the subject of this thread!) does fade away on Xbox by the way, but pressing L for Lights doesn't work and neither does / for Spoilers or Enter for Continue on the UI screens.
    Xbox hasn't had a Hotfix yet but maybe it's due for one next week - I hope it doesn't turn out to be the son of the PC version... I'm really enjoying doing a discovery flight on PC, then repeating it on Xbox - I'll leave it to you all to guess why.
    Tim, it may not be the right place for what I'm asking and forgive me if that's the case. I'll probably get an xbox for msfs, when the series x becomes available! Probably many like me so this is not just for me. Any chance you might give us a bit of a comparison between pc and xbox? I do'nt mean the performance, although that too if you think there's comments to be made, but just the general setup. Example, do you have all the options as in general options? Or does the xbox just give you ultra? I'm sure you get the gist of my request. Thanks,
    Roy

Hi Roy,
    The Xbox Series X and S User Interface is identical to the PC version, all the menus and options are exactly the same EXCEPT for graphics where you only get the option to enable HDR10 if your TV/monitor supports it.

Graphics:
    My monitor doesn't support HDR10 so that option is greyed out, it's an Acer K272HL 27" 60Hz at 1920x1080 and I assume that the Xbox has detected that and adjusted itself automatically because it's not displayed or listed anywhere and neither is the FPS. The sim runs without stutters or pauses anywhere I've been so far, all the graphics seem to be on full Ultra and there's no scenery popping.

Controller:
    I began by using the Xbox Controller only, just to get used to the thing (I've tried them in the past and didn't like them) one weird feature of it is that there's no sound jack on the Xbox itself - you plug your earphones or headphones into the controller and to my surprise it works just as well.
    I printed out this screenshot for reference and found it very useful:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Controller Layout.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	322.3 KB 
ID:	226900

The rudder is controlled by the left and right "triggers". I suppose they're called triggers for want of a better word, they are finger operated so it makes sense but they're NOT on/off switches.
    They have a range of movement and can be adjusted in the Sensitivity options just like any other axis.
    I found them surprisingly easy to use, especially when taxiing, I can put my fingers straight on them instead of peeping under the desk to get my feet onto my pedals!

Elevator and Aileron axes are on the left joystick, which can also be clicked down to toggle the cursor in the menu's and in the cockpit. Using this takes me back to my youth and Radio Controlled cars, boats, yachts, gliders and powered planes, but I do prefer a yoke and will buy the Turtle Beach yoke when it's launched.

There's four-axis hat-switch type thing which toggles parking brakes and gear, and raises or lowers the flaps one position at a time.

The Throttle(s) are increased by pressing button A, and decreased with button B.

External and cockpit views are toggled with the Menu button.

Keyboard and Mouse:
    I bought a Logitech MK270 wireless keyboard and mouse combo, it's the cheapest available but since the Xbox is right next to the keyboard and right in front of the mouse, I didn't need anything with huge range or anything. It was supplied with batteries - I know, I'm glad I was sat down when I opened the box - and a small USB wireless receiver which I plugged into the front of the Xbox and pressed the button just above the USB port to detect the new wireless controllers. Both were recognised instantly, but only the keyboard works with the Xbox desktop and menus.
    The mouse does work in MSFS and you have to change the settings for it just as you do on PC.

Add-ons/Mods:
    There are more 3rd party add-ons available for the Xbox at launch than there were for the PC launch, all the suppliers are listed in the Marketplace but only a few have got products available for Xbox. There's still a wide selection of airports, scenery, mesh, airport textures and quite a few aircraft too.
    I already own 3 airports and 2 aircraft on PC and none of them are available yet on Xbox, but it's only been a week since launch so there's plenty of time.
    I currently have over 100 freeware mods on PC, mostly scenery, and I'm waiting with interest to see what develops regarding freeware on Xbox.
    There is a well-hidden folder structure which I've only been able to access when saving downloaded files using Microsoft Edge browser - the folders include Downloads, Documents, Music, and one in particular named App Mods. I was unable to extract a mod file from flightsim.to into that folder because the filename was the incorrect format - I think it's just a matter of time before that issue is resolved by somebody, somewhere.

I hope this answers your questions, and if it raises any others, you're welcome to ask.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 08-02-2021 at 09:08 AM.
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Tim! I am soooo grateful. That's very very kind of you to take the time to explain all this. I hope others will also benefit. Very interesting and instructive. One of the things I most wanted to know about was the graphic settings and to read that it's all set at ultra, for me that's the clincher to get the xbox. Except of course you can't! I read that the S , which is available, does not have the sharpness of the X, hence I'm going to wait a bit. I too have an xbox controller which was suggested in a tutorial on youtube by Squirrel, (From your part of the world I think) which i use for looking around; flying with Logitech 3d pro joystick.
    Regarding the viewing, do you think if i view with a 58" 4K tv it will be as sharp as with a monitor?
    Thanks again,
    Roy

Thanks Roy, glad to help.
    The Xbox seems to adjust itself automatically to whatever screen you connect it to, someone on the official forums is using a 75" Qled TV and is "absolutely blown away" by it so yes, it'll be as sharp as on a monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Thanks Roy, glad to help.
    The Xbox seems to adjust itself automatically to whatever screen you connect it to, someone on the official forums is using a 75" Qled TV and is "absolutely blown away" by it so yes, it'll be as sharp as on a monitor.
    Thanks. Now just gotta get hold of an xboX!

Try requesting a stock alert on legitimate retailers' sites like this: https://www.box.co.uk/RRT-00007-Xbox...e_3201195.html

Quote Originally Posted by roypaglia View Post
    After new update menu bar on top stays on. Used to go after a few seconds. Any way to remove?
    Thanks (Thinking of you Tim!)
    Found how to remove it! There is a utility in flightsim.to which removes the menu bar. It's easy and it works. One tip, make a note of settings in Assistance as they will all go to "Easy" but only the first time, afterwards the settings stay the same.
    Its here
    https://flightsim.to/file/9900/no-handle-bar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123