Hi, is there a known limit for the number of addons that can be added to MSFS? Like there was a limit with FS9.

I know it’s possible to only add what you need for that area/flight but nice to know if there are any restrictions

Thanks

I have not heard anyone yet describe this problem? Keep in mind this is completely different than FSX, unlike any of the FS2000-FSX series, completely different engine. I don't think there are enough addons to test this limit yet?? When the program becomes more finalized, more addons will follow.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

According to the latest FS Development Update, there are currently over 1,000 payware add-ons available, and at flightsim.to alone there are over 16,000 freeware add-ons. I doubt that anyone has them all - I think most simmers would run out of disk space before reaching any limit which would prevent the sim from loading them all!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

This has been much discussed in this forum (and others), and some may be tired of hearing this, but there is a very simple and elegant solution: get Add-on Manager. This is a free utility that allows you to store all the add-ons you want in a file separate from MSFS (even on a different drive), and select only those you need for a particular flying session. A huge advantage is that only links to your selected files -- not the files themselves -- are placed in the Community folder. This method (a) prevents MSFS from "filling up" with 3rd party add-ons, and (b) keeps load times under control.

Bottom line: I have over 800 add-ons stored, but use only a few in any one session, and enjoy quick load times (2-3 minutes max in most cases). It's great!

Edited by cobalt

This has been much discussed in this forum (and others), and some may be tired of hearing this, but there is a very simple and elegant solution: get Add-on Manager. This is a free utility that allows you to store all the add-ons you want in a file separate from MSFS (even on a different drive), and select only those you need for a particular flying session. A huge advantage is that only links to your selected files -- not the files themselves -- are placed in the Community folder. This method (a) prevents MSFS from "filling up" with 3rd party add-ons, and (b) keeps load times under control.

Bottom line: I have over 800 add-ons stored, but use only a few in any one session, and enjoy quick load times (2-3 minutes max in most cases). It's great!

I have read a lot about this utility and it is an amazing and effective way of managing addons. However I'm one of those gamers on the other end of the scale - I want everything loaded. All the time. I dont mind long load times.

The reason is I do short flights globally. Not more than an hour, usually 30 min hops in the Caravan. But I jump from a flight in Idaho to Costa Rica to North Australia to Singapore all in the same session.

I dont want to have to exit and reload the sim each time I wanna fly in an area I have addons for but I have not loaded - UNLESS....unless in the future there is a way to make the game rescan the Community folder while its running :cool:

• 1 month later...

Consider this.

Some (possibly all) of the current batch of addon managers allow you to put your addons into "packages", and when you want to fly, will load as many packages as you think you may want.

So, one package for each addon airplane (or for liveries for one of the standard Asobo planes, one package for each destination you use, and one package for any other classification of addon you might want to use.

Always load all of your Libraries of objects that are needed by other addons, and at run time, load the "Packages" you might want to use today.

Unless they've managed to change load time, you'll find that by doing this you'll optimize the sim load time, without really interfering with your ability to fly multiple flights in one session.

John Glossop

Lapsed FSX scenery developer

In the end the only limit is how long you are prepared to sit and wait for the sim to load.............!

Right you'd be waiting along time.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz /Graphics: Red devil RX6800XT 16GB /MB: X570 Gaming WiFi / ram: 32GB@3600 MHz /500GB M.2 Drive /1TB SSD /3-Asus 27" Displays.

I have read a lot about this utility and it is an amazing and effective way of managing addons. However I'm one of those gamers on the other end of the scale - I want everything loaded. All the time. I dont mind long load times.

Why would you want to load European or African scenery if you are planning flights in the U.S.? Or Australia? Or Japan? I guess you have your reasons, but it makes no sense to me.

Uh... I don't remember any limits to FS9 addons.... it certainly never became an issue for me... I think I had over 200+ addon planes and helis... not repaints, I mean individual unique aircraft in different folders... if I were bored and didn't know what to do or fly, I'd just browse the aircraft folder and think "OH!! Yea, that one! I haven't flown that one in 6 months, let's take that one up!"

• 6 months later...
old thread, but there is a hard limit of about 1028 addons in MSFS, after which the Content Manager will no longer load and the sim will freeze on exit. Using an addon manager will not overcome this hard limit.

Addon linker solves the problem since it loads only links into Community. In other words, with AL your Community folder is always empty (except for the links).

The reason is I do short flights globally. Not more than an hour, usually 30 min hops in the Caravan. But I jump from a flight in Idaho to Costa Rica to North Australia to Singapore all in the same session.

I dont want to have to exit and reload the sim each time I wanna fly in an area I have addons for but I have not loaded - UNLESS....unless in the future there is a way to make the game rescan the Community folder while its running :cool:

I do agree (so far at least).

One reason might be that I am quite picky when choosing add-ons and have never had more than 50 files in the Community folder (currently 43), none of which requires additional libraries.

With such a relatively small amount it isn't difficult to realize which add-on may cause a conflict after a sim update, without the hassle of emptying the entire folder everytime, and my loading times have never been longer that 2-3 min either.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)