What are the best storage drives for MSFS?

Hi all

I am pricing up a new PC to run MSFS but am stuck with disk drives. There used to be a simple choice of HDD or SDD but now there’s nvme too.

What is the best configuration for this game, nvme running win10 with SDD for the game? Or vice versa?

I’ve heard that it is possible to have 2x nvme drives but it can cause slowdown as they both share the same interface?

Or will a fast HDD still do a good job?

I’m looking at 2tb drive for the game or should I consider 4tb if I’m adding lots of extra scenery and airports?

Best option.. NVMe drives, without a shadow of a doubt. Forget HDD’s completely & avoid SSD’s if poss.

I use two nvme drives... one (500gb) for Windows and the other (1tb) for Flight Sim. I doubt you will need anything near as big as 4tb - unless you plan on downloading & buying every addon available (also have you seen the prices of 4tb NVME drives? Expensive!)

SSD”s are much faster than HDD’s, but M2 NVME drives are 10 times faster than SSD’s (or something like that)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I concur with the man from the UK!

For me, 250Gb for Windows, 2Tb for MSFS w/ORBX, P3Dv5 w/ORBX, Assetto Corsa Competizione, and F1 2021. Still plenty of room for more add-ons.

I got a data center rated 10Tb HDD with the intention of saving Manual Cache for off-line use. But ASSobo/Microsoft lied about MSFS being usable without a internet connection.

There are now two speeds for NVME (I got the last generation).

PCIe Gen3 or PCIe Gen4

Be sure to get whatever speed your board supports.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Stay away from any HDD!

I have Windows and FSX on a 500Gb SSD and everything else on a WD Black M.2 1Tb drive. With all the updates, you will really appreciate fast download times and smooth operation.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Same as everyone: NVMe all the way.

Even coming from a sata ssd, I was gobsmacked at the speed. My pc, though very humble, is dedicated to msfs. And since I'm not an addon whore, and there's nothing else on my PC, 512 GB is more than enough room.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Even coming from a sata ssd, I was gobsmacked at the speed. My pc, though very humble, is dedicated to msfs. And since I'm not an addon whore, and there's nothing else on my PC, 512 GB is more than enough room.

SSD's are coming down in price now.... I picked up a 2TB for just under 200 quid the other week (I too am not a addon whore)

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Just to point out that you can have all the add-ons you want, and store them on a separate drive from the one MSFS is on. Just use Add-on Linker, which places only links to the add-ons in Community. It's an ingenious solution and works great.

Just to point out that you can have all the add-ons you want, and store them on a separate drive from the one MSFS is on. Just use Add-on Linker, which places only links to the add-ons in Community. It's an ingenious solution and works great.

For the benefit of the OP, this is a great point if you plan to use a lot of addons: Blazing fast NVMe for the primary storage and game files, and then an expansive spinning hard drive for the addons.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Thanks all for the advice. It looks like I will aim for 2x nvme drives. Although most new PCs come with 1x nvme and a HDD, so I will have to ensure there is capacity on the motherboard to allow for a second nvme drive to be added afterwards.

As a previous poster said, the HDD may still be useful for storing downloads etc…

Rather than buy a prebuilt system with a HDD, why not start with a custom build, there are good builders that can create a great custom machine for about what a prebuilt would cost. You will also end up with better ancillary devices such as power supply and case and MB.

I have used AVA Direct and been very happy. Another forum member highly recommends Thermaltake. It might be worth checking out?

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Yes thanks for the advice. I have looked at some custom PC builds but they are coming out more expensive than buying an off the shelf model and adding a new nvme drive afterwards. I guess that’s the cost of a one off build vs a stock option

I bought a “bare bones” pc last year from CCL Conputers, near Bradford

http://www.cclonline.com

Basically it was a custom build but with parts I didn’t need missing. You can add or remove things (like HDD) on their website.

I do t know where in the UK you are but they use carriers and I’ve found them to be good

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

One other thing. If you want to be able to run Windows 11, make sure it comes pre-installed.

Even the latest hardware can fail the Windows 11 compatibility test.

I personally don't want it for now.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro