Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim Vile's approaches for AIs

Hans,

go back to post no. 2 of Tom Gibson, he had answered short, but very exactly to your question.

the tutorial is here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...roaches.14074/

The trick is to force AI to an ILS approach without an existing ILS.

You can use BGL2XML to decompile some of Jim Vile's curved approaches (or mine) to understand the principles of operation.

Quote Originally Posted by hgschnell View Post
    thanks for the information, I will give it a try.
    I discovered Traffic View Board 2.1 installed on my PC long ago, but I did not use it much after I installed MS SDK Traffic toolbox.

I prefer it because I can see more internal details of an AI aircraft on the map.

Mostly is my focus on an approach and not on time tables (for time tables and parking I prefer AIFP)

Quote Originally Posted by hgschnell View Post
    Hans,

go back to post no. 2 of Tom Gibson, he had answered short, but very exactly to your question.

the tutorial is here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...roaches.14074/

The trick is to force AI to an ILS approach without an existing ILS.

You can use BGL2XML to decompile some of Jim Vile's curved approaches (or mine) to understand the principles of operation.
    Here is another fine post:
    https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...pproach.16806/

Guenther,

I have not tested UGAM any further because my AI approaches there are now all being performed correctly and even by different AI types. Very spectacular indeed and many thanks for all your work.

Normal piloted ATC vectored approaces also work correctly but during the last few miles the pilot really needs to know the way through the winding valleys. No problem though because this is what flying is all about.

However, my only remaining and very spectacular airport, where this AI auto-approach system does not seem to be able to work is VQPR, Paro in Bhutan, where the mesh mountains all around are so high and at such close proximities, that even flyable aircraft need very steep final approaches for landing.
    AI take offs also remain a problem because, even after their related aircraft FDEs and CFG parameters have been edited, they cannot realistically climb steeply enough to avoid some mountain tops during their climb-outs.

In the meantime I've seen some YouTube movies about real Airbus 319 approaches/routes through the mountain valleys to both runway ends at Paro and to my great surprise, these can also be more or less followed correctly when approaching the FS9 depiction of this airport, but then again, once the aircraft has entered the initial valley, it's pilot really needs to know the way to the airport.

Thanks again for the lessons.

Regards

Hans

Hi,

I've only ever used ADE to add approach code. Set it up to compile as "AFCAD Split" and it'll create a separate approach BGL file. I've also set it up to compile to a temp folder, so nothing gets overwritten by accident.

As said before:

One needs to set up the approach as an ILS, otherwise ATC/AI will only use that code in IMC conditions.

Only some of the approach header info in ADE is important for ATC/AI.
    The fix (usually the FAF), that's when the AI will drop it's landing gear.
    The alt. at which AI crosses that fix.
    The missed approach alt.
    The course the AI will fly after crossing the fix, in ADE in TRUE degrees. It will also use that course to to fly towards the fix at a ~30 degree intercept.

The old ADE 1.65 pdf can be downloaded here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/8rp6jr7en9xwdls

Regards,
    DDP.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by hjwalter View Post
    Guenther,

In the meantime I've seen some YouTube movies about real Airbus 319 approaches/routes through the mountain valleys to both runway ends at Paro and to my great surprise, these can also be more or less followed correctly when approaching the FS9 depiction of this airport, but then again, once the aircraft has entered the initial valley, it's pilot really needs to know the way to the airport.

IRL, I think only Drukair pilots are allowed to land at Paro.
    About FS9, depending on the mesh, stock or realistic (e.g. FSGlobal), the scenery could look very different.

Regards,
    DDP.

Rwy 33 at VQPR is possible for some AI aircrafts (ATR45, LET 410), the A319 is not able (till now).
    If somebody wants to test my approach, send me a PN.

Do AI aircraft use this if put in the aircraft.cfg?:

[GPWS]
    max_warning_height=0
    sink_rate_fpm=-1500
    excessive_sink_rate_fpm=-2000
    climbout_sink_rate_fpm=-100
    flap_and_gear_sink_rate_fpm=-100

Obviously the figures can be changed.

I dont know [GPWS] section in my FS9, sorry

I suppose it is for panel gauges and AI dont need them
    Last edited by hgschnell; 06-20-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Hallo All,

I have compiled a detailed tutorial on how (using ADE) to alter approaches to avoid mountain areas. In the tutorial, I have used Tivat LYTV approach as an example but the principle can be used at any airport. I now have these (turn) approaches at many Austrian and Swiss Alps airports and in Colorado with AI executing these correctly.

There is one caveat, for AI to fly in, the mountain cannot be too close to the runway which I am afraid at UGAM is. The approach can still be made using my tutorial for self flying but AI would not digest the tight turn.

The tutorial is nine page word document with pictures, so I cannot implant it here but maybe I will try to place it to the files library. If approved, it would show up in "Bendl" search, got few items there already.

Cheers
    Peter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast