Help needed Piper Arrow from Just Flight

I need some help the landing of this plane. I can land a C172, C182 etc., no problem. In fact, I usually crash!

However, with the Piper Arrow, I have to push the joystick all the way forward to even start it to nudge it's way to the runway.

My speed is around 60-70, gear is extended, I just can't get it TO THE GROUND!!

I would have gone to the Just Flight site, except I forgot my password and the reset password on their site is not sending me the reset password link :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

try something like this vid, takes you through a whole flight.

you have to setup a correct landing configuration, then its easy.

I just watched the landing, he made it look so easy. He is at the speed I go at, it just seems to fight me to flare out.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

The Piper Arrow is low wing.....thus it has a tendency to balloon close to the ground if your flaps and airspeed at not settled.

You have to set your "Approach Configuration" prior to entering the flight pattern....and then adjust it as you progress to landing.

You describe that the plane "fights you to the ground" and you have to "push it over hard to get it to descent"

This is a classic example of not having the plane trimmed for landing !!!!

If you do not know how to "TRIM" the plane...go back to the Training Section...and review that section.

When you take off....you have slight "UP" trim for correct climb....but then you have to

retrim for straight and level flight.....thus turn the trim down a little so it flies straight and level at

your chosen airspeed for level-cruise flight.

When you return to the arpt for landing...you change speeds to FLIGHT PATTERN...speeds and you RETRIM

for that speed in the pattern.....and every time you change flap settings....you have to slightly adjust the trim

again for that change of speed....and that is prob why you are fighting the controls on the landing.....cuz you

have not adjusted the trim for the new slower speed and the new flap settings

On downwind us 75 kts...one notch of flaps............TRIM THE PLANE !!!

On base us 70 kts.....two notch of flaps...........TRIM THE PLANE !!!

On final us 65-67 kts.....three notch of flaps.........TRIM THE PLANE !!!

Once you have full flaps...set the power for 65--67 kts and TRIM to hold that.

Then you use power to adjust approach angle...dont push pull on the yoke.....

If you are low.....add power........if you are high....reduce power....to maintain the airspeed.

if you push down on the yoke to reduce altitude....you will gain speed with the nose down !!!

That will cause you to gain altitude again !!! Defeats the purpose.

If you pull up on the yoke to gain altitude.....you will loose air speed with the nose up !!!

That will cause you to loose altitude again !!! Defeats the purpose.

SO.....select proper flaps for the flight pattern.....trim the airspeed for the flight pattern speed......

and on final.....INCREASE power to climb...REDUCE power to descent........and maintain final airspeed.

Dont push and pull the yoke up and down.....you will PORPOISE all down final and prob slam the

plane into the runway.......NOT COOL !!!!

When close to the ground....the PIPER WARRIOR will be flying in "GROUND EFFECT" and will balloon if

you are too fast. The Cessnas you have flown are HIGH WING....and do not have as strong "GROUND EFFECT"

as the Warrior. Its actually a nice part of PIPER LOW WINGS....lots of cushion when close to the ground.

To land smooth.....just hold the plane off....nose up 65-67 kts.......and let it settle to the runway on the mains.......

"SQUACK" IT ON !!!

ENJOY !!!!

Thanks for the tips!

I put your advice into practice, adjust the trim on takeoff, and much to my surprise (delightful though), once I passed the wind sock at KHEG, I was at take off speed AND was able to take off at that point, rather then pulling back on the stick hoping I make it. Much smoother :)

I have to work more on the landing, but I understand the concepts a lot better!

I did find out that the flaps were not deploying (least the visual) on the AC when landing, the flaps lever was at 25, yet the visual representation of the flaps on the wings were level. The AC deployed them on approach, but when I deployed them, they showed up moving on the wing, and I was able to land.

Thanks!

Note that those principles that helped you with the Arrow, work for other aircraft too, including the Cessnas -- you should have better success with the Cessnas that way, as well as others.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!