Trying to create approach in Little NavMap

So I've been educating myself on the art of IFR flying and I think, for the most part, I have it down. My only confusion thus far is the approach. On paper, I understand how it works with capturing the glidescope via autopilot approach function at X altitude at X DME.

The problem is that I'm seeing conflicting information between the approach procedure in Little NavMap vs. the approach plate for the airport/runway of my choice (KCLE RWY24L, in this instance).

The approach plate as shown in the attached PDF shows a starting point at ALOMR at 3000 ft. I then get my capture at FELLR at 2000 ft.

In Little NavMap, I get a completely different procedure that doesn't hew to the plate. Color me confused! If you look at the screenshot attached, you can see the highlighted waypoints for the approach in the flight plan table. Not only that, the fix is apparently at 3,000 ft.? I included the info on the right for the procedure in the event I'm missing something there that someone can educate me about.

I do see, however, that I can create my own approach, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that with the information from the plate. I'll set the entry threshold at where I see for FELLR at 3.7nm at an altitude of 2000 ft. as indicated on the plate, but then the glidescope is way more than 3 degrees!

Clearly I have a lot of learning to do, but I thought the two would be on the same page.

FlightAware_CLE_IAP_ILS OR LOC RWY 24L.PDF

LNM approach.jpg

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Managed to answer my own question!

So it turns out LNM uses an older Navigraph AIRAC by default (1801), thus the naming of the waypoints and such were outdated. This is where the confusion was.

To fix, I simply disabled Navigraph from the scenery library database in LNM to use the default one in MSFS 2020 as that uses the latest AIRAC anyway!

I think perhaps that should be disabled by default now.

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Managed to answer my own question!

So it turns out LNM uses an older Navigraph AIRAC by default (1801), thus the naming of the waypoints and such were outdated. This is where the confusion was.

To fix, I simply disabled Navigraph from the scenery library database in LNM to use the default one in MSFS 2020 as that uses the latest AIRAC anyway!

I think perhaps that should be disabled by default now.

Caveat: Little NavMap does NOT have SIDs/STARs yet available for MSFS. That's forthcoming, so don't be alarmed by that.

For example:

To depart KBOS (Boston) and arrive KMVY (Martha's Vineyard), simply copy / past these way points into

LNM New Flight Plan from Route Description:

KBOS CELTS DUNKK PEAKE CHOPY BEPAY KMVY

LNM will also show approach plate info.

KBOS-KMVY-FPL-ROUTE-DESCR.jpg

LNM-KBOS-KMVY-FPL.jpg

KMVY-Approach.jpg

LNM-KBOS-KMVY-FPL.jpg

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

Then export your LNM plan to FS2020

FLIGHT-PLAN-D.jpg

FLIGHT-PLAN-A.jpg

Edited by inky160
RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

Wait a minute, LNM has approach plates built in? I didn't know this, where is it?

The KMVY Approach Plate illustration is not taken from LNM. Instrument Approach Procedures from Sky Vector are opened by clicking on ILS or LOC RWY 24 as shown below. Sorry for the confusion.

kmvy.jpg

Ahhh ok, for a moment there I thought I missed a major perk of LNM.

I'm ahead of you, I've already started making routes from SkyVector and plugging it in LNM and implementing an approach in LNM. I'm finding that this is the most efficient way to flight plan, at least until LNM adds in SIDs/STARs from MSFS. Until then, I've been manually inputting the STARs.

I tried flight planning through MSFS...it's horrible! I don't know what logic/algorithm MSFS uses for routes, but it's not efficient or even realistic at all.