1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Hyper-threaded (8 total)

3998.16 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    3351.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

hp DVD-RAM GHA3N [Optical drive]

Recently Windows 10 crashed and the shop fixed it. FSXX wouldn't run so I tried to do a clean install. When disk 2 is almost done I get a message to insert disk. When I try to do this it spits it back out. Any ideas?

Let's start at the beginning - because if you needed to take this to the shop, it was not just a "Windows 10" crash.

What really happened? What did "the shop" really do?

We need detailed information here.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post
    Let's start at the beginning - because if you needed to take this to the shop, it was not just a "Windows 10" crash.

Jorgen

Did they ALSO reinstall FSX? Probably not, so you could be messing any number of SimConnect or Visual C++ redistributables...
    You need to be much more thorough with what you, and you shop, have done.

You may want to try cleaning the disc. Usually a dirty disc will just result in read errors but sometimes it can also cause the drive to no longer continue to recognize the disc at all which will, in turn, cause the program (in this case FSX) to think it's been removed from the drive.....Doug
    Last edited by W2DR; 03-26-2021 at 07:54 AM. Reason: kant spel
    Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post

Jorgen
    Everything was working fine. I turned the computer off and when I turned it on windows would not load. Kept closing and trying to restart. The shop fixed that. I don't know what they did. FSX wouldn't load. I then got rid of fsx with ccleaner and tried to reinstall it. The shop checked the disk drive and they say it's fine.

With respect I would say: Get FSX Steam and you'll be flying FSX Gold in minutes. (No DVD's and more important: no code's, no authorizations, and you do get Steam ability to verify your installed FSX integrity at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by piet06273 View Post
    With respect I would say: Get FSX Steam and you'll be flying FSX Gold in minutes. (No DVD's and more important: no code's, no authorizations, and you do get Steam ability to verify your installed FSX integrity at any time.
    Am I going to have to pay more? And it will install fsx? Can I import my logbook? If so I may try that. I miss FS.

Uninstalled using CCleaner? Why? I bet you have leftovers? Have you done a full search of your PC and registry to ensure its all gone?
    i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance mobo, Gainward Windforce GTX 960 OC 2GB, Windows10 64bit, 256mb Crucial SSD, 500GB Seagate HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by pomak249 View Post
    Uninstalled using CCleaner? Why? I bet you have leftovers? Have you done a full search of your PC and registry to ensure its all gone?
    I used that program because it's the only one I had. I will check the registry again.

There's a lot going on here and in all honestly I would need to sit if front of your computer to get it to work. Let me just itemize some things.

1) Windows 10 can be a real PITA when it comes to installing FSX. There is a method to the madness and you'll want to search or ask how to install FSX in Windows 10. I've never had to do it because I'm in Windows 7. I do know Windows 10 apparently lacks the Directx 9 driver version and that'll need to be installed for FSX to work correctly (could be why people get a black screen). No, it doesn't overwrite your current version of Directx. It adds to the DLL library of Directx so to speak.

2) Windows 10 updates have a low QC (Quality Control) and can and will muck things up. So once you get FSX up and running, the possibility of an update hosing the whole thing over is pretty good. Not to single out Windows 10, but I've read the same thing over and over from many tech forums I've been a member of for some 15 years for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1.

3) Instead of using Ccleaner to remove a program, use Revouninstaller instead. Also, never EVER use Ccleaner's registry cleaner. That is mostly snake oil and can and will mess your system up. The registry should never be messed with unless you know exactly what you are doing. The registry is just a database and while it will grow, with today's modern computers and speed you don't need to optimize the registry and all this stuff. As they say, leave well enough alone. I do. Unless I'm doing something. And of course I know what I'm doing.

4) You need to install FSX to the root of C drive and not in the programs folder. The programs fold is protected by Windows and can give you issues. It may not be apparent at first, but it will eventually and then you'll find yourself moving the whole installation and reinstall a mass of bought add-ons. So since you're starting out with a new install, install FSX to a fold on C drive it's self called FSX. So the path would be C:\FSX The FSX folder would have your install. You can create this folder first on C drive and when you go to install browse to that folder to direct the installer to install to that location.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast