Help with re-installing FSX

capndon

I can't re- install FSX. The installation wizard gets to "removing applications" and hangs up. I have removed all the old files I can find including fsx.cfg and it still hangs up. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Amen to the power of Google, Duck Duck Go etc. Did you use regedit to remove any lingering traces of entries of FSX in the Registry? Open regedit then open Edit. Select Find or Ctrl+F and remove the highlighted entry. Then F+3 to find the next entry? If not it's back to Google, Duck Duck Go etc to learn that first. Be extra careful what you delete. Only highlighted entries are to be deleted. Hope it helps.

i7 8086K @ 5.2 GHz, H115i Pro Cooler, GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7, 8GB GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz, 250GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 500GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 1TB WD Black, EVGA 650watt SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD, Corsair Black Obsidian Series 750D case, LG Ext Blu-ray/CD/DVD, Win 10 64bit, Samsung 32” Odyssey G70B 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync

The installer taking a long time is normal. All you need to do is wait for the installer to finish.

(Or better yet, instead of waiting go and do something else. Eat something, watch tv, etc.)

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd say: go to Steam as long as it's available there. May cost you around $15,00 but you'll be flying in 20 mins. No disks, regs, authorisation troubles. FSX Steam equals or is even better than boxed FSX Gold. But first remove each and every little last trace of a boxed FSX from your system.(uninstall, delete every item that may refer to any previous FSX boxed install. Like Name\App data etc etc........... and don't install your new FSX SE in C:\Program Files' Create a new Folder somewhere on your C: root, then point the Steam installer to your new created Folder. This works for me, 6 years install, never a problem............. regards

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm having to do this now as I want to run FSX and all its add-ons from an external drive. I used to have FSX-SE installed but it kept on crashing and no one at Steam seemed to care, so they're out.

Installing FSX and Acceleration the first time seemed to go OK, except when I ran it I couldn't get any of my add-on aircraft to work, and the add-on scenery looked rubbish (That was VFR's UK scenery package...) and it was suggested I did a re-install.

The disc popped up with the 'Do you want to repair or Uninstall it?' question so I hit 'Repair'. What's the first thing it does? It removes the application!!!!! Why did it bother to ask me what I wanted if it was going to un-install it anyway?

Having gone through that rigmarole it then told me some vital file was missing and I should re-install it all AGAIN! Needless to say it's now 'removing the application'.

I think I may go back to model railroading,. or take up knitting. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

Retgards

Kit