Rudder control fix

I've just posted this on the official forums, I'm re-posting it here for those who don't visit the official forums.

If your plane veers off the runway in the slightest crosswind and won’t turn back even with full rudder, this fix may work for you.

It’s a formula for reducing the crosswind effect and increasing the rudder authority on any aircraft.

I’ve tested the formula on the DA40, C172 and DR400 so far and can take off, fly a circuit, land and taxi them all in a 20 knot crosswind.

This fix requires a few edits of the flight_model.cfg file with Windows 10 Notepad and Calculator, that’s all:

Open your chosen aircraft’s flight_model.cfg file with Notepad and scroll down to the [AERODYNAMICS] section.

Look for the side_force group of entries, there will be four in total:

side_force_slip_angle = -2.12726

side_force_roll_rate = 0.25450

side_force_yaw_rate = 3.09566

side_force_delta_rudder = -1.79189

Copy the value for the first entry, e.g. -2.12726, and paste it into Calculator. Now divide by 4. Copy the result and paste it back into your flight_model.cfg like so:

side_force_slip_angle = -0.531815 ; -2.12726

The ; between the two values is there to retain the original value while making it inactive.

Repeat this process for the other three values.

Now look for the yaw_moment group of entries, there will be eight in total but we’re only editing two of them:

yaw_moment_yaw_damping = -16.27597

yaw_moment_delta_rudder = 0.64763

Copy and paste the yaw_damping value into Calculator and divide by 2:

yaw_moment_yaw_damping = -8.137985 ; -16.27597

Copy and paste the delta_rudder value into Calculator and multiply by 2:

yaw_moment_delta_rudder = 1.29526 ; 0.64763

Save the flight_model.cfg file and enjoy the improved ground handling!

This formula can be applied to any aircraft with a flight_model.cfg file.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

This is great. Been struggling with this for so long. I do like the challenge of cross wind landings though. Does it remove or lessen effects when on approach or just when on ground? Edited by Leadraft

Mike

Windows 10 Home 64bit / Intel i7-8700, 6 Core, 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM DDR 4 / GTX 1080 OC / SSD(2) / 27" 165 Hz 1440p Monitor / Internet 805 Mbps down, 24 Mbps up

It doesn't appear to lessen the effects on approach, or in the air in general, it's just when on the ground while taxiing, taking off and during landing roll-out.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64