Display lags/freezes for a split second

I have noticed that when using outside view of aircraft where the display is mostly the ground below and in front, that the display lags/freezes for a split second about every 10 seconds. I seem to remember that in FSX it was often reported that it was caused when the sim was reading more data from the drive.

What is the most common reason for this happening with FS2020 and what can be changed to improve/eliminate this?

I have developer mode ON

Most graphic settings are HIGH

Would in increasing RAM (from 16GB) improve/fix this?

Would the cache setting help. I use automatic?

I did a search of this forum and didn't notice any threads asking the same question.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

I have noticed that when using outside view of aircraft where the display is mostly the ground below and in front, that the display lags/freezes for a split second about every 10 seconds. I seem to remember that in FSX it was often reported that it was caused when the sim was reading more data from the drive.

What is the most common reason for this happening with FS2020 and what can be changed to improve/eliminate this?

I have developer mode ON

Most graphic settings are HIGH

Would in increasing RAM (from 16GB) improve/fix this?

Would the cache setting help. I use automatic?

I did a search of this forum and didn't notice any threads asking the same question.

I cannot offer much help, but I think turning off Dev mode would be a good place to start.

I don't feel that increasing the RAM would help.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I have no technical opinion on the ram.

I noticed however that I use between 18 and 24 gigs of my 32 gig ram when MSFS is on the runway

I wonder what would happen if I installed 64 ( go down to 16)

With 64 would I use more ram or would it stay between 18 and 24?

17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

Check out youtube video from jayz2cents. He's a tech guru and also a flight sim enthusiast...

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Thanks everyone.

I will start by turning developer mode off - I had it on to test something I found and at present don't need it on.

Maybe I will get another 16gb ram but that will be my last resort. I have read somewhere about how 32Gb RAM is better than 16 but can't remember why. I know that MS state that 32Gb is the ideal system ram but don't know why.

I will watch that video later and how that lags/freezes is covered as I am not particularly after a higher fps.

I also was wondering if data cache settings might have an effect. I started creating manual caches last night for two different areas and ran into trouble (see separate thread regarding FS2020 crashing during manual cache creation.

John

I would say this "micro lag", as I call it is the single biggest problem on msfs now. If the display is totally smooth, you think you are really flying, but these small lags bring you back to reality. The big difference between fsx and msfs, is that the latter constantly needs data from the internet. If the internet lags, the sim may lag. When a computer is playing a video, it can buffer the frames, and be totally smooth. But since the sim is real time, dependent on user inputs, it can't be buffered. It would be good if there was some indicator, in performance meters, that told you the sim isn't getting the internet data it needs. Sometimes you can see, the scenery in the distance, is filling in more slowly.

Thanks. Great reply and suggestion.

I am now wondering if creating a manual cache of the area you prefer flying in and turning off internet connection would eliminate the 'micro lags'? Is that possible I wonder?

I 'restricted' fps to 30 (instead of 60) and since then haven't noticed and 'lags' but that could be co-incidental.

My internet connection runs at around 53Mbps (download speed) but that of course if at the 'mercy' of the server both locally and overseas as well as the actual loading of where ever the data comes from which I guess varies constantly.

John

Thanks. Great reply and suggestion.

I am now wondering if creating a manual cache of the area you prefer flying in and turning off internet connection would eliminate the 'micro lags'? Is that possible I wonder?

I 'restricted' fps to 30 (instead of 60) and since then haven't noticed and 'lags' but that could be co-incidental.

My internet connection runs at around 53Mbps (download speed) but that of course if at the 'mercy' of the server both locally and overseas as well as the actual loading of where ever the data comes from which I guess varies constantly.

Yes, I would think using cache would eliminate internet caused lag. But my experience has been, that if you turn off internet, you don't get bing scenery, even with the area cached.