Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick Setup Recommendations

First of all I am new to flight simulators. I am looking for the best "settings" lineup for my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. I am experiencing real issue with some buttons not appearing to be working. Also I cannot keep the plane straight on take-off as it wobbles back and forth across the runway. Too dam sensitive. I would like to know the best setup with the most automatic settings as well as max. assistance so I can learn to play the sim decently and then adjust the sim settings later to a higher level of difficulty once I have a higher comfort level. Looking for a detailed response covering ALL setups not just a brief overview. If there are any excellent starter YouTube vids please paste links as well. I looked at a few but found them a bit too advanced. Starting from Ground Zero, lol.

Thank you in advance.

Have you calibrated it in Windows? If not, open your start menu, type in joy.cpl and that will bring up the calibration tool

#2-My advice, is to set it up to how YOU want it to be. There are a LOT of different settings. Here are a couple of mine. Trigger is for brakes. I have one of the keys on the left for the parking brake, another set for a close up view of the instrument panel. And one I call the thumb button on the handle, I use to switch to outside view.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Have you calibrated it in Windows? If not, open your start menu, type in joy.cpl and that will bring up the calibration tool

#2-My advice, is to set it up to how YOU want it to be. There are a LOT of different settings. Here are a couple of mine. Trigger is for brakes. I have one of the keys on the left for the parking brake, another set for a close up view of the instrument panel. And one I call the thumb button on the handle, I use to switch to outside view.

Hi Davidc2, I'm assuming you have the Logitech Extreme 3DPro. I find you have to put a lot of pressure to manouvre it. Is it the same with you? I found a tutorial how to weaken the spring but it's to complicated for me as you have to take the thing apart. Any thoughts? Thanks

Roy

Hi Davidc2, I'm assuming you have the Logitech Extreme 3DPro. I find you have to put a lot of pressure to manouvre it. Is it the same with you? I found a tutorial how to weaken the spring but it's to complicated for me as you have to take the thing apart. Any thoughts? Thanks

Roy

I've read about that (taking it apart).

Mine is about 4-5 years old, thus broken in. So far, I've not had to take it apart.

Calibrating it might help (can't hurt) :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

As for tutorials, go to YouTube and search for a guy that goes by the name "Squirrel". He's got a lot of videos including a series of about half a dozen really good tutorial video's that will get ya started. Also, don't overlook the MSFS tutorials. They're a bit rudimentary and leave much to be desired but they will help.

I've got the Extreme 3D Pro joystick and for the most part the default mapping has worked well for me. That controller does feel a bit stiff but over time you'll get used to it. If I can ever find them available I'd like to get a Logitech X56 but the 3D Pro is working fine for now. I've had it since FSX came out, over 10 years.

If you're having a hard time with directional control, for now just go into the Assistance menu (I think that's the name) and turn on rudder assist.

Edited by jf1450

A detailed response would be very long to write up, but here are some videos that I made targeted for newcomers that can help you get started to understand what's happening at different stages of flight:

I don't have anything specifically for the Logitech controller, but I'm guessing that most of your problems are actually "normal", in the sense that it's something you need to learn to correct for. For example, on takeoff, I'm guessing it's either wind or not enough rudder use that's causing you to wobble back and forth across the runway.

Flight Simmer since 2001 - Host of Flight Sim School, a YouTube channel that teaches newcomers to MSFS all the details they need to enjoy the game at it's fullest.