Flight planning tool

I use Little Navmap, Skyvector, and the one built in :)

Me too!

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Im just wondering, Skyvector says you can only use it for real flights.

What does that mean for usage in a sim??

For US airports small and large, all of the radio references, NAV references, and the "plates" containing waypoint information for ILS approaches work perfectly for MSFS. It is still helpful for non-US airports but the site has less data on them.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

For US airports small and large, all of the radio references, NAV references, and the "plates" containing waypoint information for ILS approaches work perfectly for MSFS. It is still helpful for non-US airports but the site has less data on them.

SkyVector is also great for low and slow VFR. I’ve done flights through New Zealand at low level after planning them on SkyVector. You can plan legs there that aren’t based on Navaids (from valley to valley), and then follow them in FS2020 because the FS VFR map matches SkyVector (but not as detailed).

Agree, Little Navmap, Skyvector and the MSFS planner are what I use all the time. Little Navmap gives you tons of info, including fuel report and loading, bearings, distance and ETE to waypoints, ability to send to Skyvector, etc. Skyvector gives you accurate terrain and altitudes and, if you can decipher the codes displayed when you hover over one, you can right click and get airport diagrams and ILS/VOR info. ( I have a pretty good list as to what the Weather Station codes are (although actual Barometer pressure rarely agrees with MSFS ATC info, varying as much as 0.16mm). I always check a flight plan (imported from Little Navmap) with the one the aircraft shows as a flight plan. I find that I have to modify the imported flight plan from time to time. I've flown VFR from waypoint to waypoint, using Skyvector landmarks and heading.

One of my favorite features of Little Navmap is the elevation profile.

If you pick out a route, it will visually depict the profile on a graph, so you can plan your altitude(s) for the flight. During the flight you can even flip back to see where you are on the profile geographically, as it syncs with MSFS.

For anyone new to the app, you'll need to do a little bit of tinkering to get the elevation feature to work. The app's author provides good instructions on how to do that. I am not especially computer literate and got it working on the first try.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.