Sudden CTD’s within the last 24 hours

I started getting CTD’s last night. I was up until the early hours removing addon aircraft...community folder... (even Ge Force Experience!) it became clear it was Leed/Bradford (EGNM) that was the problem, or rather my Orbx addon.

Further investigations & it’s actually a problem with Bing Maps. There are several posts on the official forum regarding it, all of which have appeared within the last few hours. Some are saying the problem started when Microsoft’s servers went down on Thursday night. I think this is probably correct.

I personally haven’t found a solution yet, other than to either disable Bing Maps within flight sim, or uninstall the Orbx scenery.

Apparently though it’s not just affecting Orbx. It’s also affecting other addon scenery & airports.

Maybe this is why Thursday’s update was postponed? I certainly hope they fix this soon.

One of the posts regarding this...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bing-data-causing-crashes-with-add-on-airports-or-scenery/364649

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Steve, I just did a circuit of LBA in the DR400 with no CTD. I haven't had the server issue, I wasn't running MSFS at the time it happened, but I am using mappamundi's terrain spike and coastline fixes: https://flightsim.to/discover?s=mappa&sort=1&category=0&country=0&tags=0&author=0 maybe these would help?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim. I was wide awake during Thursday night & after reading about the server issues, I tried to connect. I managed on the second attempt. Starting to regret trying now LOL

I’ll try the link you posted shortly. I meant to do it a week or two ago but didn’t get around to it.

In the mean time I’ve just tried something else... I’ve gone into the Orbx EGNM folder & renamed the bgl file (simply added my callsign to it) didn’t know if it would work or even if MSFS would launch... but yes, I can have both the airport & Bing Maps on. There are a few comments on the other forum about renaming the bgl file. Seems to have done the trick.

So far no more crashes! :)

I need to experiment a bit further. Probably the next step is to rename that back & try the link you posted. Cheers.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

slight correction... it was th CGL file I renamed, not the bgl file.

Regards

Steve

Yep, long and sometimes angry thread on the MS official forum. Net result is that MS/Asobo have acknowledged the problem and are working on it. Hope it doesn't delay tomorrows update - but I'm not holding my breath!

Happened to me as well and after some experimenting and checking that thread changed the file name (just added .bak) and it all worked fine on Orbx EGNT. This appears to work on any addon that uses a CGL file and seems to be a conflict with Bing Maps.

You can also get round it by turning Bing Maps off in the data settings.

I had my 1st CTD last Friday flying from KPDX to KGEG in VR at (simulator) night time. I was following the STAR and was getting close to KGEG when a warning message appeared stating "you have been disconnected from the server" or something to that effect. Then another message stating "you are connected to the server again" or something similar. It did that twice then I got a spinning hourglass and finally a CTD. I flew yesterday from KSEA to KGEG in VR during the (simulator) day time with no problems at all. It's a mystery.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I've had more CTD's in the last week than the last few months. Not the end of the world, but it's annoying as you have no warning sometimes. The only thing I did different (as everything is stock) is change my cache size to 16 instead of 8 in the sim settings. Who knows.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

What's a "CTD"?

Never mind; I Googled it, which I should've done first. "Crash to Desktop." I had one of those a while back. Other than that, a couple of sim freezes, including one on an approach to the Monterey, Calif. airport and another while taxiing after landing at San Jose Mineta International Airport.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

It's not just Orbyx as you say. I am getting CTDs with my airports from Burning Blue Design too. They sent out an email informing owners of their software. Whatever if is it doesn't seem to affect any of the addons which I have released as freeware, it seems to be the airports where the problem lies.

Is it just a UK issue?. Burning Blue thinks Asobo may have changed something in the Bing data in preparation for the UK update.

Regards

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk