GS3000 - how to include a STAR

I am wondering the correct method of creating a flight plan externally from FS2020 to later be loaded and approach added.

Should the flight plan ONLY contain waypoints between the departure and arrival airports and NOT any manually added waypoints to allow the aircraft to join the airport circuit with downwind leg, base leg etc and then allow the G3000 to add a selected approach?

Also if I select the ILS approach (instead of leaving it at automatic) my flightplan approach is replaced with what I consider a strange approach - refer the following images - the first shows the approach when ILS approach is selected, the second image shows the approach from my loaded flight plan with approach left as automatic. Should the approach be set to automatic and adding an approach using the G3000? Is that the correct method?

ybthysri ils 28-z.jpg

ybthysri ils automatic.jpg

Edited by jparnold
major change to most of it.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

I am wondering the correct method of creating a flight plan externally from FS2020 to later be loaded and approach added.

Should the flight plan ONLY contain waypoints between the departure and arrival airports and NOT any manually added waypoints to allow the aircraft to join the airport circuit with downwind leg, base leg etc and then allow the G3000 to add a selected approach?

Also if I select the ILS approach (instead of leaving it at automatic) my flightplan approach is replaced with what I consider a strange approach - refer the following images - the first shows the approach when ILS approach is selected, the second image shows the approach from my loaded flight plan with approach left as automatic. Should the approach be set to automatic and adding an approach using the G3000? Is that the correct method?

Only create route waypoints because the default approaches all begin 15-20 miles from the airport and you'll need to select and load your approach long before you're in the circuit!

The 'strange' ILS approaches have been logged with Asobo and will hopefully be fixed soon. The flight planner always selects the destination airport NDB as a waypoint which makes you fly over and past the airport before turning back on the final approach. Very unrealistic.

I'm just about to try an RNAV approach which is a more reasonable flightpath to the final approach, and I'll manually tune the NAV1 to the ILS frequency before switching to APPR mode.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim

I am learning.

I had added extra waypoints on the flight plan after the initial flight plan was created by Simbrief by editing the waypoints made before exporting for FS2020 (I know that you use Little NavMap which I am looking at) not realising that the G3000 could add the (star) approach as I did not like what FS2020 was doing when I selected the ILS approach. I put it down to creeping OA :(

John

Thanks you are quite right and just a slip on my part.

John