Root FSX folder opens on game startup

Mattie941

Hi,

I recently installed and then uninstalled Navigraph simlink as I only have the airac subscription, so didn't need simlink. However, now every time I start FSX, the root FSX folder opens in windows explorer. I read online that a faulty XML file can cause this. If that is the problem, how do I dig this XML out? Or is it something else altogether?

Cheers,

Matt

UKV1260spacer.png

2.gif

This happens when you double-click on your desktop .exe for FSX? Maybe try opening your FSX root folder, find the FSX.exe, right-click on it and "send to desktop and create a short cut." Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You obviously have some left over components. Without having you dive into all the things I would do, install Simlink again and then use Revouninstaller to completely get rid of the whole lot. When you go to wipe its registry entries, pay very close attention and make sure those registry entries are in fact related to Simlink. Sometimes on a rare occasion when you uninstall a program with Revouninstaller it will list potential registry entries that are related to the program, but are also used by other programs. It doesn't happen all the time but can.

After the complete uninstall I'd do a reboot. If after this you still have issues we can do some deep, really deep diving. It will be nerdy, and it will be dirty. LOL! :D

https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Sorry for the delayed reply. Busy week!

I followed as you said but the FSX root folder still opens when I start FSX. I'm not sure what else to try or even where to start? FYI - I'm running FSX Acceleration (disk version) on Windows 10 with 8 Gb RAM and Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M. A Medion P6661 to be precise: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-p6661-core-i5-6200u-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-950m-15.6-inch-w-30021742/version.asp

FSX is installed on the SSD but all of the addons I install to the HD.

UKV1260spacer.png

2.gif

Open root folder and double click on the FSX executable. That should start FSX. If that works, then create a new FSX icon on your desktop.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Suggestion already offered in post#2. Didn't help him!

No luck unfortunately. Even when I click on the fsx.exe in the root folder and then close the windows explorer. The root folder then reopens again once the game is loading. From what I've read, it's down to a bogus XML that hasn't been removed when I uninstalled Simlink but I have no idea how to find it in order to remove it.

This is what happens: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtBLDmeWaSESjecIjHDiKdC1SHTQ_g

Edited by Mattie941

UKV1260spacer.png

2.gif

C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (please note that the AppData folder is a hidden folder, so you'll need to change the visibility to see it) inside this folder there should be a file called dll.xml, if you open this file using a text editor (like notepad)

This should get you to the .xml file that you need. Might take some careful looking for the "Launch FSX root folder" or whatever it is.

Found the problem. The problem is the Simlink doesn't remove the entry in the dll.xml after install: ​​​​​​​https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtBLDmeWaSESjecJKmie9BU14gudbw

Go and find the dll.xml in C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and open it with notepad. Find the entry for Simlink and delete it. Problem solved!

UKV1260spacer.png

2.gif