Cannot get pushback or reverse to work

After many many attempts and even watching a Youtube tutorial video (

)I cannot get the pushback tug to hook up with my Beechcraft and push back. I even selected the same departure airport (MMUN) as used in the Youtube video in case there was some problem with my departure airport of choice and still it will not pushback.

I start engines, alternators on, select ATC, request clearance and acknowledge, set transponder code and active, rqeuest taxi and acknowledge (exactly as per the video) and then ground services.

That's where it all goes 'pear shaped',

Firstly the tug lined up to the right of the nose wheel and ended up under that aircraft. I stopped pushback and tried again. This time the tug would not even attempt to connect with the nosewheel.

What am I doing wrong which the author o the video does correctly?

I cannot just taxi foward otherwise I will have a dismembered pushback tug operator!

I thought then I should reverse the aircraft using reverse thrust.

I press the F2 key (brake is released) - the aircraft does not move. I then drag the throttles back into the -15% reverse position but the aircraft still refuses to move. Once again what am I doing that is incorrect?

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Thanks but it was not a case of having to wait while the tug drives around. At first the tug did not line up with the nosewheel and drove UNDER the aircraft right through a spinning prop. Another time the tug moved to a position closer to the aircraft and then just stopped and did not move again.

I have not had any problems with pushback of an A320 and so wondered if it is a 'hit and miss' with small aircraft - maybe (dare I say) a BUG?

John

I mostly fly the Longitude and with this aircraft the pushback tug misses the nosewheel 9 times out of 10 and trundles off down to the right. If I wait it will suddenly jump into position and start the pushback. It is indeed a bug, but not a game changer at this point in time as there are other more important bugs to sort out. Hopefully a third party developer will release a better tug system. It would be nice to see the tugs wheels moving too which is another minor immersion spoiler IMHO.

regards

Stinger

It is indeed a bug, ....... It would be nice to see the tugs wheels moving too which is another minor immersion spoiler IMHO.

regards

Stinger

Thanks.

At least I now know that it isn't something I am doing wrong although it is annoying. That still leaves me with a problem how to depart from a gate/ramp which requires the aircraft to go backwards as I would use reverse thrust to move backwards if I could get it to work. I wonder how the author of the video got the pushback to work correctly. Maybe he was just lucky (he was using the same aircraft at the same airport as I used).

Also it would be great if someone could develop and addon the same as the Betterpushback plugin for X-Plane to take the guesswork out of how much to turn the aircraft during pushback and end position at end of pushback. Hopefully in time.

John

I've no idea why your King Air won't push back or even reverse, it does seem like a bug - have you tried uninstalling it from the Content Manager and re-installing it?

Failing that, there's a great pushback helper mod available here: https://flightsim.to/file/853/pushback-helper-v2-0

Bookmark that website, or add it to your Favourites list, you'll find plenty more like that over there!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Have you tried whatever you have key bound to "Toggle Pushback"? I use "Shift P" for this and it's probably the default. I just tried that with a cold dark King Air and the tug first drove under the plane and then came back out and connected and moved me back.

have you tried uninstalling it from the Content Manager and re-installing it?

Failing that, there's a great pushback helper mod available here: https://flightsim.to/file/853/pushback-helper-v2-0

Thanks I cannot find how to uninstall and reinstall an aircraft eg 'content manager'. I googled 'content manager' and found “Official Content” menu in the “Marketplace”. When I select 'marketplace' I do not see 'official content'. Please explain.

I have now downloaded the pushback helper (thanks for the url) and will try that later.

Yes I have tried shift p and that works in a sort of way just like you described but I guess it ended in a pushback.

When I attempt to pushback using ATC 'controls' it just won't work and so I have to assume it is a bug and hopefully will be 'addressed' some day. All the same I find it strange that the author of the video seemed to be able to 'control' the pushback using the ATC 'calls'. I will see if there is any improvement once I figure out how to uninstall and reinstalled the Beechcraft. In the meantime I will try another small aircraft and see what happens.

John

I just tried using the Cessna Caravan aircraft and it following the ATC pushback 'commands' unlike the Beechcraft.

If I can reinstall the Beechcraft I will and try it again.

John

I've no idea why your King Air won't push back or even reverse, it does seem like a bug - have you tried uninstalling it from the Content Manager and re-installing it?

OK FOUND IT.

Content Manager is 'under' PROFILE.

When I select the (aircraft) Beechcraft KingAir it displays -

The following content is required to run properly

-fs-base-propdefs-Required version 0.1.2.

Is that just information or is it advising me that it is missing? If so how do I correct it?

Also I see that I can remove the aircraft but how do I reinstall it later?

Lastly I have created a new keyboard 'profile' and set reverse thrust as follows

F1 (key) assigned to Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust

F2 (key) assigned to Hold Propeller Reverse Thrust

When I press the F1 key nothing happens

When I press the F2 key it reverses but continues to reverse until I press F1 key. I thought that HOLD meant that the key had to be held down continually (and that toggle meant press once to start 'action', press again to stop 'action).

John

When I select the (aircraft) Beechcraft KingAir it displays -

The following content is required to run properly

-fs-base-propdefs-Required version 0.1.2.

Is that just information or is it advising me that it is missing? If so how do I correct it?

Also I see that I can remove the aircraft but how do I reinstall it later?

It's just for information. When you've uninstalled the King Air, restart MSFS, go back to Content Manager and download it again. Hopefully the pushback issue will have gone.

Lastly I have created a new keyboard 'profile' and set reverse thrust as follows

F1 (key) assigned to Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust

F2 (key) assigned to Hold Propeller Reverse Thrust

When I press the F1 key nothing happens

When I press the F2 key it reverses but continues to reverse until I press F1 key. I thought that HOLD meant that the key had to be held down continually (and that toggle meant press once to start 'action', press again to stop 'action).

F1 won't work because there's no reverse detent on the King Air throttles, F1 will only set the throttles to 0%.

You've assigned F2 to Hold Prop reverse and that's what it's doing.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim.

I remove/uninstalled the Beechcraft and then reinstalled it. I THINK it almost solved my 'problem' - see below.

I also changed the assignment of the F1 and F2 keys to TOGGLE Throttle reverse (I note what you stated about throttle reverse detent) and TOGGLE Propeller reverse and tested.

Firstly the pushback via ATC request although the tug does not initially line up with the nose wheel rather to the left and then proceeds (pity the operator and the spinning prop :( ) and then disappears for a split second and reappears connected to the nose wheel correctly and then pushes back. I bug needing correction I guess.

Secondly the F2 key (toggle propeller reverse) now works but takes a few seconds to 'kick in' and the aircraft to begin going backwards. I also noted that the 'thrust' levers move backwards to the feather position at -15%.

Anyway it now all works in a 'fashion'

I was confused :confused: with the terminology of the word HOLD previously but now decided on toggle anyway.

Lastly (your thoughts please), I noted in a tutorial on how to (re)assign keyboard keys and the use of keyboard 'profiles' where the author suggested that it would be great to be able to 'link' a keyboard 'profile' to individual aircraft instead of having to remember to check and select relevant keyboard when starting. I see heaps of merit in that and hopefully it could be included in a future software update. Is there a 'wish list' somewhere to add such requests?

John

Good to know you've fixed the pushback issue, well done!

The pushback cart IS bugged at the moment, it misses the nosewheel of all aircraft at first before snapping into position.

You can create profiles using the Preset Manager and name each one individually, i.e. C172, KingAir etc. There's a very good guide to this on the flightsimulator.com forums here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-use-the-interface-to-configure-your-controllers/183095

Click on the arrows/bullet points of each heading to read the guide.

I don't think you can link a profile to the aircraft currently loaded in the sim, you still have to select the profile before selecting the aircraft.

Edited by tiger1962

I don't think you can link a profile to the aircraft currently loaded in the sim, you still have to select the profile before selecting the aircraft.

Thanks again Tim.

I had found a video tutorial on creating keyboard profiles which I had followed without too much dramas but agree with the author that the method required to 'deassign' existing controls is a bit annoying. Anyway I got it done.

I wonder if any thought has been given to updating 2020 so that keyboard profiles CAN be linked to specific aircraft? I guess if so then it would be near the bottom of the list as most simmers would probably fly the same aircraft all the time and therefore not have to remember to possibly have to change the keyboard profile when selecting a different aircraft.

John