Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you fly today ?

Those are the Canary Islands.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Thanks
    I could not remember their name at 4 AM.
    I guess that explains the nice airports.

Default KHIO-KSEA and some Seattle sightseeing

I finished my U.S. border-to-border trip in the Daher TBM, flying from Portland-Hillsboro (KHIO) to Seattle (KSEA).

Previous legs chronicled here included: San Diego to Santa Monica; Santa Monica to Santa Barbara; Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo; and San Luis Obispo to San Carlos. From San Carlos, I continued to Santa Rosa, the last "sainted" airport on my list. From Santa Rosa, I flew to Arcata, near the Calif./Oregon border, and then on to Coos Bay, Or. before flying on to Portland-Hillsboro, where I flew an RNAV final approach. Fun fact about the ILS approach to RWY 32 at KSTS--Charles Schulz-Sonoma County airport: two of the intersections, LUSEE and PIGPN, are named after Peanuts characters. There's an intervening intersection called EDOVE. I haven't been able to figure out if that's also named after one Schulz's characters.

Anyway, back to today's flight. I set up a low-level IFR flight plan with an ILS approach to RWY 34L at KSEA. I picked that runway because it was the shortest and presumably less favored by the "heavies." I dutifully followed ATC's direction to climb to 18,000 feet, but they told me to commence my descent before I got there. I had clear live weather all the way and did a lot of rubber necking while the autopilot had the controls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KHIO-KSEA climbing out.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	226579
    Climbing out of Portland-Hillsboro

Name:	KHIO-KSEA Mt. St. Helens.jpg 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	226580
    Enroute to Seattle I enjoyed this view of Mt. Saint Helens (Mt. Adams is in the background)

Name:	KHIO-KSEA greater Seattle.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	226581
    Greater Seattle ahead

After landing at KSEA, I did a little sightseeing, taking off from Renton Municipal in a Diamond DA40 TDI and heading northwest to Seattle proper, where I circled the Space Needle...

Name:	KHIO-KSEA Space Needle.jpg 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	226582

... and then landed at Boeing-Kings County

Name:	KHIO-KSEA Boeing-Kings County final.jpg 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	226583

I'm finding the Daher a joy to fly, especially with the autopilot doing most of the work. I'm deciding where to go from Seattle next; perhaps north, to Alaska?
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

4. Default

Leg #2 of my world tour, from W05 (Gettysburg, PA) to KACK (Nantucket, MA), with a long detour to D.C. and up the coastline to the Big Apple, and across Long Island. All in the DA40NG with gorgeous views.

Name:	sm dc monument.jpg 
Size:	286.6 KB 
ID:	226606

Name:	sm white house buzz.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	322.9 KB 
ID:	226607

Name:	sm windmills close.jpg 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	226608

Name:	sm lady liberty.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	226609

Name:	sm big apple.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	226610

Name:	sm brooklyn bridge.jpg 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	226611

Name:	sm chrysler.jpg 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	226612

Name:	sm central park.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	226613

Name:	sm da40ng.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	226614
    Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Default WN-10 to WN-10 (Mt. St. Helens Aero Ranch)

After flying past Mt. Saint Helens in the Daher TBM on my way to Seattle yesterday, I decided I wanted a closer look at this volcano that blew its stack 21 years ago this past May. The Mt. St. Helens Aero Ranch (WN-10) is the closest "airport" to St. Helens, so I took off from its grass runway in the Diamond DA40NG for a tour of the volcano.

Name:	WN-10 St. Helens WN-10.jpg 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	226624
    The St. Helens Aero Ranch is off to the left as I climb out through a river valley.

Name:	WN-10 St. Helens ext..jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	279.3 KB 
ID:	226617
    After climbing out from WN-10, I begin my fly-around of St. Helens.

Name:	WN-10 St. Helens south.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	313.1 KB 
ID:	226619
    Crater ahead!

Name:	WN-10 St. Helens crater.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	226620
    Thar she blew!

Name:	WN-10 St. Helens heading back.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	354.3 KB 
ID:	226621
    Heading back to the (Aero) ranch

Name:	WN-10 St. Helens final.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	226622
    On final for WN-10
    Full disclosure: This approach was the first of several unsuccessful attempts to land the DA40 at this short airstrip. I came in too fast the first time, and crashed into trees at the end of the field. So I went back to the World Map for a do-over landing pattern. I couldn't stop in time again and had another losing argument with a tree. On my next attempt, I put the plane down, but this time in a meadow past the end of the field, likely on somebody else's property. On a third attempt, taking off in the opposite direction, I spun out and in when I turned back to the field too abruptly. The best thing about MSFS being that you can learn from what would otherwise be fatal mistakes, I finally did manage to shed enough speed to safely land in the above direction--then turned around, taxied back to the start of the runway, and parked.

Name:	WN-10 St. Helens parked.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	416.4 KB 
ID:	226623
    Only in MSFS at a little field like this: a firetruck. (And note the power-transmission line immediately adjacent to the runway final...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WN-10 St. Helens south.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	226618  
    Last edited by Aptosflier; 06-22-2021 at 05:38 PM.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Unfortunately, you are off by 20 years. Mt St Helens erupted in 1980. I should know. I lived in Spokane Washington at that time and can still remember the dark clouds coming over the city. We had no idea what was going on as there was no internet or any mobile communications back then. You had to rely on the (extremely limited) television news for what was going on but there usually was a long delay of information. We thought a storm was coming but it got as dark as night. Then it looked like it was snowing but it was volcanic ash. It got a couple of inches deep and I did not own a car back then and had to walk though all that for a couple of miles to go to work and back home. It was miserable. Had to wear a scarf around my nose and mouth so as not to breath in that ash. It was a very fine power, like talcum powder, and got into everything including automobile engines, which destroyed them. I didn't know until the next day that a volcano erupted (Millennials would have had a fit back then since they could not get instant information). I worked at a auto repair shop at the time and we replaced many engines through the vehicle owner's auto insurance. Looking back, those were good times compared to what's happening now. Even today, if you drive from Spokane to the Tri-Cities in Washington state, you can still find piles of ash on the side of the highway. I even have a bottle of it on a shelf in my basement just to remind me of the good old days.
    Last edited by kevinfolsom; 06-22-2021 at 08:56 PM.
    MSI Lightning Gen 4 Z590-A Pro M/B, I9-10900K 5.3 Ghz, 32 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB Ram, 2 x 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drives, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfolsom View Post
    Unfortunately, you are off by 20 years. Mt St Helens erupted in 1980. I should know. I lived in Spokane Washington at that time and can still remember the dark clouds coming over the city. We had no idea what was going on as there was no internet or any mobile communications back then. You had to rely on the (extremely limited) television news for what was going on but there usually was a long delay of information. We thought a storm was coming but it got as dark as night. Then it looked like it was snowing but it was volcanic ash. It got a couple of inches deep and I did not own a car back then and had to walk though all that for a couple of miles to go to work and back home. It was miserable. Had to wear a scarf around my nose and mouth so as not to breath in that ash. It was a very fine power, like talcum powder, and got into everything including automobile engines, which destroyed them. I didn't know until the next day that a volcano erupted (Millennials would have had a fit back then since they could not get instant information). I worked at a auto repair shop at the time and we replaced many engines through the vehicle owner's auto insurance. Looking back, those were good times compared to what's happening now. Even today, if you drive from Spokane to the Tri-Cities in Washington state, you can still find piles of ash on the side of the highway. I even have a bottle of it on a shelf in my basement just to remind me of the good old days.
    You are absolutely right. I looked up the date, because I’d forgotten the year. Then I mistakenly deducted 20 years. I’m 76. I think I was subconsciously trying to turn the clock back 55 or 56. My bad. Senior moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I flew from Norman Oklahoma to the Beech Factory in
    Wichita Kansas.
    I had an appointment to have my Beloved Baron repainted in the colors of FlightSim.com.
    I would show you the new colors but I have yet to master the art of photography with this sim.
    Not a whole lot to see in Oklahoma. Just miles of flat country.
    You have to travel to the south east part and a few other spots to see anything close to what we call mountains and other people call hills.
    I flew a 172 all over Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas in real life in the 80’s and now I am recreating some of those flights in FS20.
    I made 10 touch and goes on this trip with only 2 or 3 bounces.
    The trip was at 2000 ft.
    I lifted off 12 AM and somehow it was really bright outside as though it was High Noon.
    VFRguy
    Last edited by VFRguy; 06-23-2021 at 04:40 AM.

Actually, flying from Duncan to Hobart at 4,000 feet will cross some pretty rugged terrain. The only bad thing is you can't stop in Meers for a Meersburger (one of the best hamburgers in the country!).
    What is even more impressive is to look out north from the heart of the Wichitas and realize that the rocks you are standing on, are about 50,000 feet below the surface just 10 miles to the north.
    BTW, I am at 5,000 feet, and skirting the south side of the mountains in this trip. I have another set flying north out of Lawton somewhere in the screenshot forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lawton.jpg 
Size:	380.4 KB 
ID:	226626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M tScott.jpg 
Size:	351.0 KB 
ID:	226627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWichita.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	376.4 KB 
ID:	226628  

Last edited by plainsman; 06-23-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Try KDUC to ONEST to KHBR.
    BTW in real life you are restricted to above 5,500 feet, but the bison don't hear you in the sim, so they are not disturbed at lower altitudes.
    Last edited by plainsman; 06-23-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast