An unusual problem concerning drive C & E

Hello from a (FS2020) newbie.

This might be an unusual problem, as I cant find any reference to it in searches.

To get started, here is my PC specs: i5 9600K OCed to 4.8 GHz. 32 GB Corsair Vengeance (32K). Nvidia GTX 1660 - factory OCed. Drive C is a 256 GB M.2 NVME (and getting a bit full). I have an oldee worldee mechanical HDD 1TB (D) used to store back-ups.

I didn't want to use Steam to install my FS. My C drive didn't have enough space. So I bought a new 1TB M.2 NVME with the intention of using it solely for use by FS2020, and I duly installed FS to my nice new E drive.

It didn't take long to discover that anything I was putting in the Community folder (E drive), was automatically appearing in the Community folder on the C drive. As I installed MS on the E drive because my C drive was getting a bit short of space, I was sort of hoping that it would stay on the E drive. But it seems that as the community folder on the C drive is getting filled up anyway, then that little space left on the C drive is slowly disappearing - which is what I was trying to avoid! By the way, deleting anything from the C drive is automatically replicated over on the E drive (and vise versa)!

I'm not quite sure of my options here. First thought is to copy the contents of the C (boot) to the E and use that as the boot drive, but I have nightmares of all the problems that would incur. Second thought: Un-install FS2020, format E, copy C (boot) to E (renaming the 1TB as C drive) and then re-install FS2020 on the new C.

Question: Could I somehow re-install FS2020 without buying another copy? That would be pretty easy from a DVD of course, but not sure about a digital copy.

Well, I had fun trying to explain all that, hope it makes sense to some of you! I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks in advance

Glenn

Yes, you can reinstall the digital edition as many times as you like (and have the bandwidth for).

When installing the sim did you specify your own directory for the Packages the first time you ran the sim? I pointed mine to G:/MSFS/Packages and all my add-ons use the Community folder created in this location.

Edit: See the link below for where to change the Package installation path.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015910560-Can-I-choose-or-change-the-installation-path-Install-on-the-D-drive-instead-of-the-C-drive-for-instance-

Edited by loki

Hiya. Thanks for the advice. When installing from scratch, I instructed flight sim be installed on drive E, a brand new formatted 1TB NVME drive. I (perhaps naively) assumed that this would install everything on that drive and keep it there! I have, thanks to your pointers, since found the DATA section in the settings options and pointed everything to the E drive. It's made no difference to the original problem - anything that I add or delete in the community folder (E drive) is automatically mirrored on the C drive and vice versa.

To save my sanity, I purchased a new 1 TB NVME drive and spent a good few hours cloning my C drive to it. 2 TB would have been prefered but funds said otherwise. It hasn't cured the problem of course, but at least now I wont run out of space quite so quick.

Thanks for your help.

Have good days zipping around the skies.