Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almanac and Celestial Navigation Calculator

Default Almanac and Celestial Navigation Calculator

Hello All,

I was advised by ET2SN over at subsim.com to contact Tom Gibson from "Cal Classics" about a spreadsheet I'm working on. It contains a perpetual almanac, sight reduction calculator, position log, great circle route planner (including a database of ~15,500 cities) and a map on which routes and fixes are plotted. I thought it might be handy for simulated celnav.

I tried the search feature but could not locate anyone by that name here. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with him? Thanks in advance!

Also, here is a link to the spreadsheet, if anyone is interested. It's still in beta, but the remaining bugs are very minor (see bottom of instructions tab).

Holy bat map, batman. That looks amazing. I have no idea how that works, or what its telling me, and what I should do with it, but its impressive nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMR View Post
    Holy bat map, batman. That looks amazing. I have no idea how that works, or what its telling me, and what I should do with it, but its impressive nonetheless.
    Totally agree! Love it when something I don't understand at all looks incredibly good and I have to learn what it does.

Tom will almost certainly see this post.

Could you please inform us of any updates or otherwise a link where we can look for them ourselves?
    I'm looking to get into SH3 at some point. I assume this may be good for that?
    Mark Daniels

I've grabbed a copy too! It meshes with my ideas of science through flight simulation! I was thinking of restarting My Jonesing With Indy pieces from The Old Hangar! How does a Sea Captain cross the Great Lakes? Lot's of Trigonometry!

Thanks, Sean!

Christopher Tarana

Hi,

Tom Gibson here.

This is way over my head, and I only have the free online version of Excel which doesn't display the map.

I have posted the link to this message in my forum, so hopefully those more knowledgeable about celestial navigation will take over.

Thanks,
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher12 View Post
    Totally agree! Love it when something I don't understand at all looks incredibly good and I have to learn what it does.

Tom will almost certainly see this post.

Could you please inform us of any updates or otherwise a link where we can look for them ourselves?
    I'm looking to get into SH3 at some point. I assume this may be good for that?
    I will certainly try to remember to post any updates here. Eventually I want to turn it into a mobile app, but I'm still learning how to do that.

If you or anyone here has any questions about celestial navigation, I'd be happy to help. I'm somewhat familiar with the techniques used in the air (more so in the water).

Back when I was playing FSX, I had no idea there were celnav mods. I really wish I had. Maybe with the new release it's time to get back in the saddle ... er, cockpit!

Please be advised: I have recently learned that opening my spreadsheet in LibreOffice or any program other than modern versions of MS Excel may result in loss of functionality or errors in output data.

Far North Coast, New South Wales, Australia

Am not surprised that Chris Tarana posted. See his thread in forum FS2002 "Southern Lights Found in Fs2002" and his post #9 and #11 "Fs2000 Douglas R4D NATS by Bill Rambow, Roy Chaffin, and Jan Visser. It here in the file area!" includes a sextant and screenshot of the cockpit with the sextant. Chris also listed books link in #8 "The Survivors Library website has books about Celestial Navigation also. I grabbed 12 to read! http://www.survivorlibrary.com/". Haven't got into celnav myself but have always been wanting to, given my astronomy interest, and space, and boats, including in-space celnav. Similarly for orbital mechanics. Lovely maths, but all a bit mysterious! . Amazing stuff Sean C, the hours of work that must have taken to develop. And all in Excel too, wow!
    Last edited by MAD1; 01-07-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMR View Post
    🙂

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
    Please be advised: I have recently learned that opening my spreadsheet in LibreOffice or any program other than modern versions of MS Excel may result in loss of functionality or errors in output data.
    Got it!
    Thanks again, this looks insanely good!
    Mark Daniels

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast