Long loading times

Loading times are understandably quite long, though FSX was as well. My solution has been to set W10 to hibernate with the sim loaded on occasions, though of course it needs a fresh restart in order to install updates.

Following hibernation, my flight is up and running again in a flash when I reboot.

If your PC won't hibernate, all it takes is a quick little registry tweak to enable hibernation.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Long load times aren't understandable to me, I think you're too forgiving. There are ways of eliminating 90% of that wait time if Asobo felt the need. I think we should all be complaining to the Zen center (and while we're at it we might ask them what the purpose of "ready to fly" after we select the airport; once we select "fly", shouldn't that be enough?)

BTW

cianpars, is your stated resolution a typo? You've got a 3070 while I'm running at 2560 X 1600 with a 1080ti. Is there some reason you have your resolution set so low?

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Long load times aren't understandable to me, I think you're too forgiving. There are ways of eliminating 90% of that wait time if Asobo felt the need. I think we should all be complaining to the Zen center (and while we're at it we might ask them what the purpose of "ready to fly" after we select the airport; once we select "fly", shouldn't that be enough?)

BTW

cianpars, is your stated resolution a typo? You've got a 3070 while I'm running at 2560 X 1600 with a 1080ti. Is there some reason you have your resolution set so low?

Running at that rez because that's the native rez of my monitor until I get around to upgrading it. No point running any higher.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Use Addon Manager, which is very easy to use and allows you to load into Community folder only those files needed for a particular flying session. In my experience this reduces load time to 1-2 minutes. Also, with Addon Manager I have tons of files organized in an efficient way, making life a lot simpler.

I click the MSFS icon in my desktop PC start tray and walk into the kitchen for a fresh cup of coffee or a soft drink. By the time I return to the computer desk it's pretty much good to go. Thankfully I'm not in a race to start sim flying nor penalized for the start-up time. I' mean.... it's loading the whole flippin' World... I'm willing to let it take however long it takes - LOL

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Yeah, I don't keep anything in my community folder that I'm not using - I too have noticed a big impact on loading times. I also find something else to do when the sim is loading - sometimes make a coffee, but usually read the flight sim forums.

Use Addon Manager, which is very easy to use and allows you to load into Community folder only those files needed for a particular flying session. In my experience this reduces load time to 1-2 minutes. Also, with Addon Manager I have tons of files organized in an efficient way, making life a lot simpler.

Where can one get this Addon Manager?

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

This and most of my freeware comed from http://www.flightsim.to - If you've not been there yet, you should find tons of stuff to play with :)

Looks interesting. If I can get past the error message, I will start getting some programs.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Looks interesting. If I can get past the error message, I will start getting some programs.

A reboot fixed the downloading problems :)

I'm curious, how long are the loading times in general?

I bought a NVMe SSD over the holidays. Using that, I'm in the main menu 90 seconds after I launch the sim, with just three small mods in my community folder. I don't consider that excessive by any means.

Previously, I used an ancient 5400RPM HDD, which took more like 7 minutes. That was getting a bit much...

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Yeah, I don't keep anything in my community folder that I'm not using - I too have noticed a big impact on loading times. I also find something else to do when the sim is loading - sometimes make a coffee, but usually read the flight sim forums.

Exactly what I do! The more items that you have in your community folder the longer its going to take to load. Especially scenery like Yosemite Valley etc.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

I use an external SSD and it loads in 90 seconds as well. Ready to pick a flight after all the update checks in 2 1/2 minutes. I don't think it unreasonable.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

I only have the Systemappsdata folder in my Community folder, running off of an SSD. Takes 4-5 minutes to just the selection screen, then about another 90 seconds before I am able to start.

Shaving 2-3 minutes would be nice :)

I only have the Systemappsdata folder in my Community folder, running off of an SSD. Takes 4-5 minutes to just the selection screen, then about another 90 seconds before I am able to start.

Shaving 2-3 minutes would be nice :)

This seems excessive for sure. The only thing that takes time for me is launching from desktop, then launching a flight. But neither takes 4-5 min...

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

I have always believed that computers should wait on people, not the other way around.

I don't understand this tolerance some people have for long wait times.

They are unnecessary.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

After following this thread my curiosity got the better of me just now so I fired up the stopwatch app on my phone and noted the following results:

From a cold start to the WELCOME screen took 2min 25 seconds.

After selecting a plane and one of the 37,000 airports I was at the location in 1 minute 30 seconds.

So.... ready to fly my choice of airplane and my choice of anywhere on planet Earth with a runway in roughly 4 minutes. Now I AM retired and 72 years old so I am likely not a member of the normal sim/gamer demographic....... but I have NEVER in my life sat down at my desktop PC to do anything, let alone fill some idle free-time with play, wherein 4 minutes was a 'make or break' factor. And I started 'computing' with my noble Commodore 64 back in late 1982.

I would respectfully submit that if a person can't endure a 4 minute wait, maybe they honestly DON'T have the free-time to play a game? And if age has taught me anything it is that my life vastly improves the less I try to run it by a stopwatch and more by a sun dial or wall calendar.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

A vanilla installation with a good SSD and fast CPU may well take only 4 minutes, but add on a couple of aircraft, a few airports and some photoscenery and I can be waiting for 15 or 20 minutes and I've got a half decent system with W10 on one SSD and MSFS on another.

I also have the premium deluxe version. It is 1minute and 56 seconds to the welcome screen.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Well, I guess the older I get, the slower it seems times passes.

From starting to load to the check for updates, 58 seconds (1 minute)

Selection screen-1:55 (total)

Loading up the plane, scenery, airport 3:25

Guess I can't complain too much :)

Also, this included using the program Jump Starter 2020

Edited by davidc2

"I don't understand this tolerance some people have for long wait times."

1st I should note that contrary to your apparent "insult"(?) I am neither 'political' in any way, shape or form nor can I recall watching Fox 'news'.

My post is NOT an attempt to slam any particular comment you made, more my attempt to clarify why I don't view 4 minutes as being either 'long' or a situation requiring 'tolerance'. If you feel I did otherwise or were hurt by my words? I sincerely apologize.

However I only gotta keep ME happy and that is how I approach life. Life is too short to sweat what is only a trivial game.

Since the last update, my load times significantly increased for some reason, I managed to make a brew and pay a visit to the toilet and when I got back, it hadn't even got to the 'checking for updates' screen. I have quite a few addons but the load time literally doubled after the last install. Loading a flight doesn't seem to of changed however.
System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller