Sea water up the sides of an island

hjwalter

Hi Guys,

Now that we are in a corona lockdown anyway, it's become a good time to take another look at some of my older sceneries and one of those is the Hierro airfield (GCHI) on the Hierro island, which is part of the very well made Canary Island archipel, made by CanarySim quite some years ago.

The (Scasm) airfield itself is also very well made but it has a "thorn in the eye" problem with sea water climbing up the island's cliffs, not only on the sea side of the airfield at 105 feet elevation but also everywhere around the island and mostly where cliffs meet the sea. This visible anomaly, especially around the airfield itself, is so great that even trying to somehow mask it, e.g. with Abacus EZ or RWY12 scenery objects, becomes impossible.

It's most probably some kind of conflict between mesh and LC scenery, which seems especially bad because the island has a very jagged coastline. Small flattens at zero feet to remove the water walls on the sea side of the airfield do in fact work but these do not remove the water texture on the thus produced new cliff side(s).

Ideas or solutions anyone ?

Thanks in advance.

Hans

Hi Guys,

Now that we are in a corona lockdown anyway, it's become a good time to take another look at some of my older sceneries and one of those is the Hierro airfield (GCHI) on the Hierro island, which is part of the very well made Canary Island archipel, made by CanarySim quite some years ago.

The (Scasm) airfield itself is also very well made but it has a "thorn in the eye" problem with sea water climbing up the island's cliffs, not only on the sea side of the airfield at 105 feet elevation but also everywhere around the island and mostly where cliffs meet the sea. This visible anomaly, especially around the airfield itself, is so great that even trying to somehow mask it, e.g. with Abacus EZ or RWY12 scenery objects, becomes impossible.

It's most probably some kind of conflict between mesh and LC scenery, which seems especially bad because the island has a very jagged coastline. Small flattens at zero feet to remove the water walls on the sea side of the airfield do in fact work but these do not remove the water texture on the thus produced new cliff side(s).

Thanks in advance.

Hans

What is your mesh setting?

I presume there is a beach texture around the island? It is this texture that generates the "wave" movement in the water, and this sometimes spreads onto the land too. I presume that describes your problem? If so, without getting rid of the beach texture there is no way to stop this. If you want email me a screenshot rogwen at rogers dot com

these scenery glitches have always depressed me in all of the flight sims, they really do spoil the illusion for me....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Roger,

I'll send you some screen shots and more technical details tomorrow but I already have the feeling that there's a structural problem at play here, a problem which cannot easily be solved, except of cause to flatten the whole island and the sea around it, to zero feet !! However, in that case deleting the island and all it's "to and from" flight plans, would then be a better but sad option.

Anyway, I'll first await your reactions to my screen shots, etc.

Regards and stay safe.

Hans

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Hans

Perhaps it could be a mesh resolution issue and you need to adjust the Terrain_Max_Vertex_Level in your FS9 configuration file. I'd check the CanarySim instructions to see if a higher value of say 20 or 21 is needed to run the scenery properly.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll certainly look into it tomorow first thing.

However, it must also be said that the other islands in the CanarySim archipelago, all with steep cliffs in some places, do not seem to have the water wall problem.

The big question then remains: What could the other islands have what the Hierro island dosn't seem to have, or vica versa ?

In the meantime I've also noticed that one of the other islands, Fuerteventura, has what look like offshore reefs (with ocean waves breaking on them) at varying distances from the visible land edges. These are quite obviously the correct shorelines but which seem to somehow be missing the visible coastal land reaching up to them.

In the meantime I will certainly download the CanarySim scenery again, if only to see if it contains any specific installation instructions.

Thanks again.

Hans

After many hours of trial and error testing there was only one option left and that was to flatten the Hierro (GCHI) afld elevation down to sea level.

Not very accurate in terms of the local real life situation but I felt that a total deletion would be just too drastic for this overall beautiful island VFR scenery. However, this only solved the coastal "water walls" at both ends of the airfield but not for the rest of the island. However, I can (learn to) live with that, at least for the time being.

The "reef" problem was solved by re-downloading/re-installing the complete CanarySim package. Problem was evidently caused by a missing file somewhere.

Thanks for all your reactions.

Hans

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys, 

I need some help here... I do have an Issue with the Scenery of Sultan Babullah (ICAO: WAMT - Nowadays WAEE), in Indonesia (Made and provided by Rahmat Abdullah) for Microsoft Flight Simulator FS2004.

I allready contacted him on his E-mail, but didn't got any replies... nor does the Readme of the File say anything about this... 

Actually the Terrain overpasses the Scenery... as shown in the following Screenshot: 

366494628_10230595878670666_2894689937632069903_n.thumb.jpg.626b22d55c5c6e472b2cc60975f931af.jpg

I do need something like a Flatten.bgl to settle the terrain around the Island down towards the walls where they touch the Ground. 

The flatten Commands would be the following: 

Flatten.0=49,N0 49.66,E127 22.98,N0 49.66,E127 23.02,N0 49.60,E127 23.02,N0 49.60,E127 22.98
Flatten.1=49,N0 49.56,E127 23.06,N0 49.56,E127 23.08,N0 49.53,E127 23.08,N0 49.53,E127 23.06
Flatten.2=49,N0 49.88,E127 22.78,N0 49.88,E127 22.89,N0 49.74,E127 22.89,N0 49.74,E127 22.78
Flatten.3=52,N0 49.91,E127 22.71,N0 49.91,E127 22.74,N0 49.88,E127 22.74,N0 49.88,E127 22.71
Flatten.4=49,N0 50.01,E127 22.77,N0 50.01,E127 22.83,N0 49.93,E127 22.83,N0 49.93,E127 22.77
Flatten.5=49,N0 49.97,E127 22.73,N0 49.97,E127 22.75,N0 49.94,E127 22.75,N0 49.94,E127 22.73

Does anyone of you know how to make a Flatten.bgl and or can create it for me, as I don't know how to do that? 

Thanks a ton in advance! 

Sincerely... 

Airbasil_1,

What's the file name of your problem airport and from where did you download it ?

If it's freeware I would like to download and temporarily install/test it myself, to see if I have the same problems and of cause, to see if I can somehow correct the issues. I will then report back in this thread.

Regards and take care.

Hans

On 8/12/2023 at 4:09 PM, hjwalter said:

Airbasil_1,

What's the file name of your problem airport and from where did you download it ?

If it's freeware I would like to download and temporarily install/test it myself, to see if I have the same problems and of cause, to see if I can somehow correct the issues. I will then report back in this thread.

Regards and take care.

Hans

Hello Hans, 

That is a very friendly option... thanks for that. 
Yep it was a freeware once indeed... though it is not available anywhere online... as I think, i downloaded it somewhere (I can't even remember where). 
I can make you an offer to send you the scenery if you want to install it yourself to eventually solve the issue... let me know if that works for you. 

Airbasil_1,

Do you still have the originally downloaded zip file ?

If you can firstly confirm this in this thread I will send you a private message containing my e-mail address, so that you can send me the file as an e-mail attachment.

Regards

Hans

4 hours ago, hjwalter said:

Airbasil_1,

Do you still have the originally downloaded zip file ?

If you can firstly confirm this in this thread I will send you a private message containing my e-mail address, so that you can send me the file as an e-mail attachment.

Regards

Hans

Hey Hans, 

Yep, It still is the original download file… I haven't done anything to it… so if you want me to send you the file, I'll be happy to do so… 

I decided to visit the islands, and indeed the problems are there. They do tend to change with disrance. Apart from the sea walls it is very nice scenery:

Pic1 El Hierro from a distance (the problem is visible to the left of the picture).

ElHierro1.jpg.30c296189987df8df29a07f795202207.jpg

Pic 2 Closer to GCHI airport:

ElHierro2.jpg.a58f2ac9ca1d0ddbb826959703be10de.jpg

Pic 3: Water up the left side of GCHI

ElHierro7.jpg.c46c2d8f9f1b8112225eaead1daa294d.jpg

Pic 4: Sea up the cliffs further round the island.

ElHierro6.jpg.7efd4478cd9f2ec048d472dc8debd516.jpg

Pic 5: Same problem on the neighbouring island of La Gomera although the problem goes away as you get closer. See left of pic.

ElHierro1.jpg.4b0a72fabf806ab2cd67be84779ace06.jpg

Pic 6: no problem as one gets closer:

LaGomera6.jpg.07f364c61118bfe327a6b5cb3cf90574.jpg

Still fantastic scenery.

ScottishMike,

In my own FS9 I have solved the "sea walls" problem at El Hierro airport by making a series of fairly large flattens at zero feet at both ends of it's runway. It's not really true to real life but approaches now at least look a lot better. However, more of such flattens are really necessary in order to cover the rest of the island. Havn't got around to that (yet).

Regards

Hans

Thanks Hans,

life is just too short to fix everything.

I can live with the oddity as it does not interfear with the approach or landing.

In the pdf from CanarySim I posted it does say a mesh is included for the islands, but it does not cover El Hierro or La Gomera. It suggests a mesh that can be downloaded, but I never did so, maybee that would fix the problem:

"Canarias Project 2006 by CanarySim. V1.0 Release Edition
Project Canarias 2006 is the result of several months of non stop work and a lot of efforts trying to
develop an scenery for FS2004. Using the best tools and materials available we’ve reached an
unprecedent realism level never seen before. Some of the main features you’ll be able to find out are
these ones.. enjoy!
- 19.1 m resolution mesh (never seen in any other scenery!) for La Palma, Tenerife and Gran
Canaria. 76.4 m resolution mesh are available for El Hierro and La Gomera.
- Full photorrealistic coverage for all islands packaged, using colour correct"

Regards

Mike