WIN 10 Install Issue - Request Assistance

Qballbandit

Hello,

On a new Win10 Gaming desktop, I installed a fresh copy of MSFS/FS9 into a directory outside of "Programs*', called MSFS_FRESH. I then installed the patch, followed by the No/CD patch. Working fine.

From my WIN7 machine, copied my entire MSFS directory over to the WIN10 machine.

I renamed the MSFS_FRESH directory to MSFS_DEFAULT.

I renamed my WIN7 MSFS directory to MSFS_FRESH.

I copied the FS9 execute from the MSFS_DEFAULT into MSFS_FRESH.

Finally, I saved the new FS9.cfg file off safely, and then copy/replaced my WIN7 FS9.cfg into the WIN10 machine.

Per a post I read, I made sure I installed "directx_Jun2010_redist", and "Visual C++ for 08 & 10 (could not find one for 05, which was also recommended...is this needed ?)

When I click the FS9 execute (which is set to "Run As Administrator), I see the COF splash screen come up for a few seconds, then disappear.

What steps have I missed completing or file installing?

Many thanks for your assistance and patience.

Neil

Hi Neil,

As per the post at the top of the forum, did you:

5. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties

6. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP

7. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'

That should do the trick.

But

You confused me with all the renaming...

So, you installed a fresh install into C:\ (NOT Program Files)

You did the patch & no-cd crack & it all works.

Did you do the above 'Properties' steps?

Then you renamed it to MSFS_Fresh & it all worked

Remember to rename the FS9.exe as well!!

And it all works?

Then you copied over your full install from Windows 7, also into C:\ (not Program Files)

It should still have the original named Main folder & FS9.exe

Do the 'Properties' steps as above, with the FS9.exe, then right-click it & 'Send to Desktop"

Run it!

So Now you have 2 FS9 installs, an original install, called MSFS_Fresh, with a matching exe,

& you should have a 2nd install, from your old Windows 7, with it's original folder name & exe name...

Both should work!!

If not, we can try something else, BUT 99.99% should be working!!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

.....could not find one for 05, which was also recommended...is this needed ?)

Hi Neil

Yes it is needed. You can find download links for earlier versions HERE

You will need to download the relevant 'bit' version for your OS (i.e. 32 or 64 bit). Click on the required link and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Install each package separately, starting with the oldest version, and reboot using the RESTART option between each install. The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated.

Regards

Brian

When you copied the fs9.exe file from the Default to the Fresh you might have overwritten the no-CD patch? I know you said you didn't, but try reinstalling the no-CD patch into the Fresh folder.

The other problem may be the copying of the fs9.cfg file over to the new machine. Due to video card settings in that old cfg file it may not work with the new one. Try renaming it to fs9.cfg.win7 and restart FS. It will create a new one and that might work better.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Brian - I get nothing when I click on the link "HERE" that you provided in your reply, but found it anyway and installed it. I now have 5/8/10 installed.

Tom - I reinstalled the no-cd patch. I then deleted the FS9.cfg file and tried to start the sim - a brief display of the COF screen, and then it's gone. No startup. It creates a new .cfg file which is empty; no values inside.

Robin - other ideas are certainly welcome.

Neil

Try using the FS9.cfg that worked. You said you also swapped over the FS9.exe. Try it with the original one that worked before.

Uncheck run as admin and any compatibility modes. You almost certainly don't need these.

DirectX and Visual C would also not be required.

Mark Daniels

I've done all of that multiple times with no luck. There is something wiggy about my Win7 version that is just no allowing a full start.

Whether I use the new default fs9.exe or not, whether I rename the folders or not, the darned COF splash screen, starts sits a few seconds, then boink - gone.

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it doesn't like my old version?

The only thing I have not done yet is physically copy/paste my Win7 Version into the fresh default WIN10 folder (saving the patched .exe off first, then copying it back).

It is probably something simple, and that is what is driving me nuts!

Neil

I was going to suggest that.. You might have a Scenery issue, that could be sorted out.

First, just to try, copy everything EXCEPT FS9.cfg & the scenery.cfg over (yet)

To safeguard everything, if you have the space, make a copy of the working FS2004, the main folder, & call it FS2004-Backup, so if anything dies, it's easy to copy & replace from the backup.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

As long as you keep the folder name of the desired copy the same as the one originally installed, you should be OK.

Trouble is the moving method with multiple installs requires of of them to be renamed. Some installers though still cant find it. If its not in the x86 programs folder - which on many previous installs on different PC's I never ever ever ever had any issues with - it cant find it.

I'm having that issue now reinstalling it with Aerosoft and FSDT sceneries. So I'm going to have to make a new install using the disks into the x86 folder just to install sceneries which kinda defeats the purpose of many things.

The flight1 registry tool makes zero difference. Some add-ons were made with installers that will only point to the C:\Program files (x86) folder otherwise no go Joe.

Aerosoft. FSDT. Tropicsim or LatinVFR are the same. Which I have several of each. Wont accept installation in any place other then the default location.

You can install FS9 anywhere just some of the add-ons don’t allow any choice for their install location.

Which is kinda odd when some have installers that allow you to browse other locations for your FS9 installation. But then wont let you install the add-on there.

Maybe I am just a little dumb. I dont know..too much beer? Red wine? Who knows....

Which is kinda odd when some have installers that allow you to browse other locations for your FS9 installation. But then wont let you install the add-on there.

The add-ons that allow you to pick a location to find your FS9 would be so you can still install the add-on if your registry pointing to your FS9 folder is screwed up.

The add-ons that don't allow you to choose your FS9 location expect you to fix your FS problems before messing with their add-on. lol

Mark Daniels