Steam MSFS2020 installazione

Good morning,

I have the Steam version and I installed MSFS on D: instead of default on C: hoping to remedy insufficient space. I find myself with installation of only 1 Gb on D: and 121 Gb on C: ??? So I wonder what is the use of telling him to install on another path if he then does as he wants and installs on C: For space problems I need to install the complete game on a path other than that imposed by the installation (ed: D). and I don't understand why the installation instead of doing it on Programs (x86) puts it in Users Appdata Roaming ??? Can someone kindly suggest me how to install full MSFS2020 on Hard disk D:

Thank you

There are two parts to the installation, the base application, and the Packages and content. Sounds like you did get the initial install properly pointed your D: drive, but didn't change the default Packages directory location. This is the additional data that is downloaded when you run the sim for the first time. You can changed this directory when you first install the sim by clicking in the field listing the default path. As you have already installed, you may be able to move the Packages directory without reinstalling. I haven't tried this, so can't guarantee it will work, but at worst you will just have to fall back to uninstalling the sim and reinstalling from scratch.

1. Create a path on your D drive, such as D:\MSFS\Packages

2. Move everything in the default Packages directory on your C drive to the new one

3. After everything has been moved, delete the original Packages directory

4. Open the sim. It should recognize that the packages are missing and go through the install process again. This time, click the in the field showing the default path for the Packages, and point it to the new directory on your D drive.

5. The install process should see the files and do a verification on them, rather that completely re-download everything.

As for why it doesn't go into Program Files, there are two reasons. One is that Microsoft Store apps and games, also know as UWP applications, are installed into the WindowsApps folder, partly as a way to protect the applications files from being tampered with, both by the user or by any other programs, and because it is standardized with the Xbox console so the same app can run on both systems. The second reason is that all data that can or will be modified when the application runs is meant to go into the AppData or ProgramData. The previous method that FSX and prior used for add-ons didn't follow this, which is why the UAC issues with permissions came up under Windows Vista and later.

First of all, thank you for your kind and quick reply.

I don't find the process you suggest to me very clear and I don't want to mess it up.

I would prefer to do new full install on D:

So I should name a new folder in: Steamlibrary / steamapps / common and directory name (eg MSFS2020) and when asked where to install MSFS 2020 indicate this path, and it should install everything on D: is it correct?

Sorry but in these things I am quite ignorant.

Thanks again and have a nice day

There are two parts to the installation, the base application, and the Packages and content. Sounds like you did get the initial install properly pointed your D: drive, but didn't change the default Packages directory location. This is the additional data that is downloaded when you run the sim for the first time. You can changed this directory when you first install the sim by clicking in the field listing the default path. As you have already installed, you may be able to move the Packages directory without reinstalling. I haven't tried this, so can't guarantee it will work, but at worst you will just have to fall back to uninstalling the sim and reinstalling from scratch.

1. Create a path on your D drive, such as D:\MSFS\Packages

2. Move everything in the default Packages directory on your C drive to the new one

3. After everything has been moved, delete the original Packages directory

4. Open the sim. It should recognize that the packages are missing and go through the install process again. This time, click the in the field showing the default path for the Packages, and point it to the new directory on your D drive.

5. The install process should see the files and do a verification on them, rather that completely re-download everything.

As for why it doesn't go into Program Files, there are two reasons. One is that Microsoft Store apps and games, also know as UWP applications, are installed into the WindowsApps folder, partly as a way to protect the applications files from being tampered with, both by the user or by any other programs, and because it is standardized with the Xbox console so the same app can run on both systems. The second reason is that all data that can or will be modified when the application runs is meant to go into the AppData or ProgramData. The previous method that FSX and prior used for add-ons didn't follow this, which is why the UAC issues with permissions came up under Windows Vista and later.

I too am with Steam (Never again) I pointed my installation to the F drive it installed the files there no problem.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

The initial part must be on the drive with Windows 10. The second larger part can be on either drive as you wish. The initial has to be on the same drive as W10.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

First of all, thank you for your kind and quick reply.

I don't find the process you suggest to me very clear and I don't want to mess it up.

I would prefer to do new full install on D:

So I should name a new folder in: Steamlibrary / steamapps / common and directory name (eg MSFS2020) and when asked where to install MSFS 2020 indicate this path, and it should install everything on D: is it correct?

Sorry but in these things I am quite ignorant.

Thanks again and have a nice day

Sorry, I have the Microsoft Store version, which uses different folders. That was my mistake.

If you have a Steam library folder already on your D drive, you don't need to create anything further for the sim inside it, and just need to select this library when you install. The next part to watch for is during the initial launch of the sim when it will download the rest of the sim's content data. Make sure this directory is pointed to a folder your D drive. I would suggest this should be outside the Steam library folder in something like D:\MSFS\Packages.

Additionally, you can also set the location of the cache folder that the sim uses to cache the streamed scenery data. I have also pointed this to a secondary drive. In your case you could use D:\MSFS\Cache.

The initial part must be on the drive with Windows 10. The second larger part can be on either drive as you wish. The initial has to be on the same drive as W10.

Which initial part are you referring to? When installing from the MS Store you can install to drives without Windows on it.

No sto installando da Steam, o meglio ci sto provando.....vediamo

Ho constatato nel frattempo che l'installazione iniziale la fa comunque in C: dove c'è Windows. E' corretto?

Dato che siete cosi gentili avrei un'altra domanda da fare.

ho un joystick Thustmaster Hotas X e vorrei configurarlo esattamente come in FSX.

Ho risolto quasi tutto ma non riesco a configurare il POV con le viste libere come FSX.

Pare che non me lo permetta xchè è vincolato alle sue viste predefinite con le varie freccette orientative. E' possibile ovviare a questo e renderle libere?

No problem .... does this mean that what I have proposed in the previous one is the installation procedure is correct?

Install everything on D :?

Thank you

I'm so sorry my sim is with Microsoft Store... I have other stuff on steam....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz