monitors of different make and size

Hello all,

i got a present of LG 38 inch 1440p ultra-wide screen curve monitor. I want to add 2 more monitors to my MS flight Sim 2020 set up, but do not want to spend load of money on expensive monitors. I would like to add two 32 " ViewSonic or AOC 1440p that are far cheaper than LG

I want to check if anyone has mixed up monitors of different sizes, refresh rate, make and model. Will it work and what type of challenge this setup can have.

I am using two monitor from different manufacturers, with different refresh rates and resolutions, and have never had any problems.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

I want to check if anyone has mixed up monitors of different sizes, refresh rate, make and model. Will it work and what type of challenge this setup can have.

No problem here either with mixing monitor brands, sizes etc. The only issue I ever had was getting the monitors to match in image quality, though this can usually be fixed with a few minutes of tweaking each display's contrast and brightness controls.

I've been using a triple 1080p monitor setup for several years now, which has gradually evolved in the screens and the stand.

It was originally three Phillips 24 inch, then I replaced the centre screen with a Hanns 27 inch IPS monitor to get greater colour accuracy and a slightly larger image of whatever "window" I was working on.

So for shared desktop use it worked ok as long as I didn't leave any windows spanning the joins.

It also worked surprisingly well with xplane 11 in triple monitor wide view setup, because the human brain could compensate for the slightly different colours and pixel sizes.

However, I've now replaced the two outer monitors with the cheapest 27 inch IPS monitors I could find, made by HP, at only £120 each. Despite being different makes, the screen images now match perfectly, in colour and size, and the HP monitors have very narrow bezels, so with them wrapped around they look like just one ultra wide 5760x1080 monitor, with a diagonal of approx 75 inches.

The immersion in flight sims is excellent, especially when used with Trackir. In Xplane 11, I have them setup as three separate full screen views (left/centr/right), and in FS2020 for now I use them in windowed mode, which I just draw out to the full width, (until Asobo incorporate individual monitor views).

They're only 1080p (each), but I find the ultra-wide view more immersive than a 16:9 4k image, and is less demanding GPU-wise.

One thing to watch out for with any triple monitor setup is the stand, if you go for a single combined one. Almost all of the ones advertised as for 27 inch are too small, not enabling the wing monitors to be angled correctly. I eventually bought a https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/vonhaus-gas-triple-monitor-arm-with-usb-port

This is much better than the run of the mill type, with balanced gas-assist of the height of the wing monitors, enabling accurate alignment.