Well after 'googling' this and searching on this forum I don't seem to have discovered exactly how much disk space is not only required for initial installation but the recommended disk space. I have read "at least 150GB".

I have my disk 0 (main disk) partitioned into a C: and D: drive because some sims in the past recommended that they not be installed on C: drive.

Currently I have 172GB free space on D: drive and could increase that by decreasing my C: drive which has 156GB free space. I could do that now before I receive FS2020 but it will result in some effort and time but it will be preferable to doing it after I install FS2020.

Should I increase free space more than 172GB? I realise that as time goes by there will be more aircraft and maybe 3D buildings/scenery but just what is space will be required for these?

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Previous versions of flight simulator have always worked better when installed on a difference drive to the C drive. I’ve always had Windows on one drive & kept FS on another. It’s probably best if you can install the new sim on your D drive. You’ll get away with just 150gb at first, but you’ll probably need more with each update. Is getting a separate drive an option? There are other things to consider.. what sort of drive do you have... is it a standard HDD or an SSD for example?

The best option would be to have a separate drive.. say 250gb or 500gb for flight simulator only and for this drive to be a solid state drive (SSD) you’d get better performance this way.

There is even a new type of drive.. “M.2” which is even better as regards to performance, but it all depends on whether or not your motherboard has a socket for this.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Probably the 150Gb figure is accurate. Keep in mind if you want a download cache to store scenery for offline, you will need storage for as much as you can afford! In my case is 10Tb.

No, let me explain what the boxed version actually contains. Microsoft Flight SImulator (that's the name, not FS2020) contains four major parts (Note the sizes are estimates from what we know at this moment.)

1. The simulator code itself (the 'sim') that is around pretty small in size at 900 MB, this is a mandatory part of the sim.

2. The world and aircraft delivered by Microsoft, (that content depends on the version (the 'content') that is around 90 GB, this is a mandatory part of the sim.

3. Optional online streamed content (this is an optional part of the sim)

4. 3rd party files (clearly fully optional)

Our DVD's contains 'all' of part 2, apart from the updates Microsoft and Asobo do between the moment the the DVD's are pressed and release. When you install, the sim will updates all files immediately form the servers and you will get the very latest code for the simulator itself and all content is updated. This is very much a simulator that depends on the cloud if you want to use it to its full potential. So the boxed version makes it possible for people on a slower internet connection to get the sim installed without downloading the 'content'. So the simulator is in every way, 100% the same. The boxed retail version just gets you a nice box, printed manual and about 90 Gb you do not have to download. There is no difference between boxed retail and the verison MS sells directly.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Thanks

My drive is a SSD drive. I also have a smaller (125GB) SSD drive so will move all from my D: drive there and I will then have 229GB which hopefully will be enough for some time.

Maybe also I might resize C: drive partition and add it to D: to get around 250GB.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick