Unreadable text

Dave170297

Hello, recently I bought a new PC with Windows 10. And since then the text on the FMC is unreadable and also on the blue thing on the left screen of FSPassengers the text is also unreadable:

Knipsel2.PNG Knipsel1.PNG

How can I fix this (asked the same question on Simviation and AVsim and they completely ignore me)

Hi Dave,

While I don't have either FSP or the FMC in your pictures, clearly the fonts are difficult to read, even cutoff in FSP, there are things you can try depending on your hardware and setup to alleviate the issue.

First thing I would try is using the Windows 10 "Adjust Clear Type Text - tool" found by Desktop search tool Click on "Adjust Clear Type" when it comes up in the listed programs, then turn ClearType on,in the first panel of the open dialog wizard, then run through the wizard process to ensure your screen fonts and text sharpness are the best they can be.

If this does not resolve your FSX font readability, read on!

What Graphics hardware are you using, Nvidia or AMD/ATI/Radeon?

What is your native screen resolution for your monitor?

Is your Sim FSX DVD with Acceleration or SP1&SP2 or FSX:SE AccPack included?

fsx.cfg can be found in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Open fsx.CFG with MSnotepad to view/edit if necessary.

Do you have HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the [Graphics] section of your fsx.CFG For FSX-A? (FSX:SE which has HIGHMEMFIX=1 already added to fsx.CFG )

For Wide Screen monitors do you have WideViewAspect=True in fsx.CFG [Display] section?

Is your Fullscreen Sim resolution set to the same as Desktop resolution?

What Resolution are you using in sim?

Are you in Window mode or FullScreen mode? (AA does not work in Windowed mode), which may effect fonts and instrument readability.

Are you using Nvidia "DSR" (Dynamic Super Resolution)?

Are you using Preview DirectX 10 with or without Fixer Payware or Freeware, or Default Dx9 mode.

I have no instructions for AMD/ATI/Radeon Graphics, I have never owned or used this hardware, Catalyst settings are foreign to me. Perhaps there are settings of similar to Nvidia NVIP.

If using Nvidia Graphics are you using Nvidia Profile Inspector, if so, in the "Antialiasing" section have you (Enabled Maxwell Sample Interleaving (MFAA) "On") & ("Toggle FXAA on or off to "On")

The effect of these 2 component settings in FSX sharpens/applies Antialiasing to fonts in the sim, such as instruments and panels, Scrolling Banner notices & popups Sim Menu list fonts, and sharpens the spinning aircraft AA on the "Fly Now" setup screen, ( most noticeable on the default Trike cables supporting the wing structure and fuselage & wings of other aircraft models on the Fly Now selection screen).

In your Graphics Card Settings or NVIP also make sure you have "Anisotropic" filtering set to x16

And your Antialiasing set to 8x, you could also use 8xS, I personally have my Nvidia GTX770oc card set to 16x AA.

That's all I have for now, but its a start, leave your money on the fridge:D.

Jethro

Edited by jethrom

Here I am getting ignored as well

Most of us have jobs and such so we may not reply in lightning fast fashion.

Also, “I bought a new pc” tells us nothing. Give us specs.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Most of us have jobs and such so we may not reply in lightning fast fashion.

JOBS?? WORK?? 4 letter word alert! Jeff, that's almost swearing;)

OP...Flying in full screen mode? Does your FSX resolution match your Windows screen resolution?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Mr Zippy, look up "DaveHagen"- Avsim Member posts, I think this is the Post Dave is talking about.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/561189-corrupted-text-since-w10/?do=findComment&comment=4078249

I tried to answer another of Dave's Topics on AVSIM about Freezing Screen sound continuing, a post which you also replied to. It seems that theres more wrong with Dave's FSX sim or Win10 installation than first thought.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/560933-fsx-freezes-mid-flight-but-sounds-continue/?do=findComment&comment=4075095

Edited by jethrom

PC specs:

Windows 10 home

Model: Medion PC

Processor: Intel Core i3-7100 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz

64-bit with 8,00 GB RAM

Monitor is a Philips FTV with resolution of 1920x1080 (originally a combi of computer and television, now it's only computer)

I have FSX:SE

@jethrom: Thanks, I thought I remembered that post...because I was the one that moved it into the PMDG user to user forum. There are responses to his question. The server has been a little futzy lately and may be the cause of limited response.

Possible corrupted font(s)? Dave also states that it only happens with PMDG aircraft.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

@jethrom: Thanks, I thought I remembered that post...because I was the one that moved it into the PMDG user to user forum. There are responses to his question. The server has been a little futzy lately and may be the cause of limited response.

Possible corrupted font(s)? Dave also states that it only happens with PMDG aircraft.

Can you read? I said it happens with FsPassengers too, that's why I posted a screenshot of the PMDG 737 FMC (have the same on the MCDU of the Aerosoft A320) and the flight info thing (blue) of the FsPassengers

It was a calculated guess. Internal Graphics is far from the best option for FSX.

IMO in yr case, it's struggling to get your graphics on-screen.

More technically knowledgeable people can drop in, but a "budget GPU" (like a 1050Ti) could help a lot. Not only with the Font problem.

Wim

[EDIT]If your computer allows it. As said not I'm not a technical genius, far from...

Edited by f16jockey_2
b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Dave,

We can only read what you provide, your computer specs don't state the Graphics Card you are using.

Wim's correctly calculated guess identified that you are using on-board Graphics, more precisely the HDMI port connected to (Intel® HD Graphics 630) on the under powered CPU chip which already has quite a job to do in 32bit FSX where Core0 is heavily in use. PMDG flight models are demanding on any system's resources, I don't know if the AeroSoft aircraft are as demanding, but it can only help your system and CPU resources which are quoted under the 4GHz-4.2GHz threshold (i3 7100 3.9Ghz DualCore CPU Non-Turbo - with HT 2 Logical 4 with HT/on) to have a dedicated Graphics card in command of all graphics throughput.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i3-processors/i3-7100.html

I tried to look up your Medion PC with the particular specs provided but found nothing useful. The actual Medion model number may have helped in this regard.

When I tried looking up the Philips FTV requirements there was also little info, one thing I did find was a requirement for drivers specific to your Philips FTV monitor/TV where connected to a PC/Laptop. Mind you these are different drivers to any on-board or dedicated Graphics Card drivers.

So basically your PC is struggling, CPU is not coping with the heavy resource load, CPU calculations and graphics load together. Find a budget GTX1060Ti, install it on the Motherboard PCIeX16 slot if your motherboard indeed has one, overclock your CPU above 4.2GHz if you can, but this may present a problem on a non un-locked CPU where even TurboMode is unsupported. Potentially this PC will not do well with upgrade as it is uncertain what rating Power supply (Wattage) and Motherboard has been installed by Medion.

Edited by jethrom