Anyone know what causes this arch over the runway?

This is an older download that I haven't used in a while. As you can see there is a black arch over the runway. It happens at different airports, but only with this one aircraft? Download is a David Robles F4 VMFA531 F4 Phantom II download. I would give you a file name if I had one readily available. I could probably find one, but thought someone might know what generates this arch?

2019-5-31_23-34-12-911.jpg

2019-6-1_0-14-0-76.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm ready to just delete if I can't get rid of the arch, but, I hate to do that, as the F4 that is in this download is one of the best I have seen.

Thanks - Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Hi Rick,

Are you sure the anomaly is associated with the aircraft and not the airfield scenery, does the arch move with the aircraft or is it stationary. Can you try a default aircraft at the same location and external view.

What airfield is that, and can you indicate what the name of the .zip file is, I'd like to test this one out as I haven't seen an arch like that before.

Edited by jethrom

OK, just to be clear... I have a F4B download [f4-vmfa531upx.zip]with the VMFA 531 and 1 Air Force skin, as well as the F-4 'reborn' collection (that uses the same model). Neither package shows the defect you picture at KEDW as test site (the only place I checked). You might try a reinstall and see if that makes any difference. I'll check at a few other airports the next time I fire up the sim. Using Disk set w/Acceleration in Win 7. I can test with SE in Win10, if that's what you are using.

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

I have had some anomalies but in the air, normally a large black rectangle which I can fly straight by. Not sue but thought it might be linked to my use of Rex 4. it only appears in one place that I have found.

Happens often in FSX Rick, you get artefacts and anomalies. I have what looks like a UFO formation hovering over Cumbernauld airport (EGPG) in Scotland. Because of ORBX or some (any odd) other add on I guess?

Cumbernauld.jpg

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Rick,

Are you sure the anomaly is associated with the aircraft and not the airfield scenery, does the arch move with the aircraft or is it stationary. Can you try a default aircraft at the same location and external view.

What airfield is that, and can you indicate what the name of the .zip file is, I'd like to test this one out as I haven't seen an arch like that before.

Jethro - I thought it was stationary at Charleston AFB, but after I posted last evening, I took off in the Panthom and the arch took off with me. It follows the aircraft! I have had this aircraft on here for a very long time, no issues until last evening! I will keep plugging away at it, will keep all of you posted!

Okay, thanks for all that responded to this problem. I have gone ahead and deleted this aircraft, as I had another F4 Iris aircraft. This drove me crazy last night. I deleted the aircraft and then went to my external hard drive and recovered this same aircraft from a backup I did back on 04/15/19, and it did the same thing. Something has become corrupt in one way or the other, but I have deleted it entirely and the issue no longer will bug me, I hope!

Jethro - I did find the download file from Simviation, but I don't think there's any problem with that file, something going on here? Here's the file:

fsx_f4_vmfa531a.zip It is a Chris Evans download, never was a problem until last evening!

Thanks all! Rick :cool:

There's lot to be said of the saying "Perserverance is a virtue!" I walked away from this download this morning after deleting it from FSX. I was very frustrated! I went outside into today's 90-93* temperature, did some work on my sprinkler system. Came back inside to the very cool comfortable A/C, thought to myself, let me give this download one more chance!

I have two liveries to this download. One download which was giving me trouble was the VMFA531 Marine texture and the other was an Air Force livery. Now, this morning, much to my surprise, I tried the Air Force livery and that flew without arch's, all was good with that livery! This told me it had to have something to do with the Marine texture. I just now (I think better in the A/C), did a side-by-side comparison of the 2 liveries and the Air Force liveries had 12 extra files in it's texture folder. I identified the files and copied those over to the Marine texture, and "lo and behold" I've got my download back without arch's and no issues what-so-ever! I shouldn't say that totally, as with this download, the aircraft flight surfaces are bass-ackwards on the ailerons and the rudder on the vertical stabilizer. This has always been apparent, since my friend GeeBeeJim had pointed this out to me! I never knew it was there until he pointed it out! Not a problem for me, though! Anyway, my download F4 Phantom is back again! Take a look!

2019-6-1_12-4-50-546.jpg

So nice, not seeing any extra structures! Thanks again for all your comments! - Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Hi Rick,

I did actually test this aircraft package out, I loaded it up in the same situation at Charlestown AFB, though a little too late to be of any real help. It sounds like you have sorted the problem. Chalk one up for tenacity, you didn't give up, and won !!

Upon extracting the fsx_f4_vmfa531a.zip (Marines) file I notice that there is a separate folder containing Effects textures (503 files to be exact), I was a little dubious at the prospect of overwriting my current effects textures and so made a backup before installing. I don't know why but many of these effects textures seemed to be a file dump from the effects textures folder from Chris Evans sim, how many of them were actually needed for the functionality of this model one can not know, example Orbx textures and a vast array of light textures, some babes clothed and unclothed.

Will these scantily clad women be joining me before boarding, or assisting me on the tarmac for preflight checks.

The aircraft test itself went well, (not a bad looking model, quite good really) I did not experience any artefacts or the black arch, the only thing that was disappointing was the aircraft engine sound in external view (inaudible), in VC the engine sound was (barely audible) until airborne, engine sound in VC was (only audible in VC when canopy was raised).

Afterburners were intermittent operated by Lights "L" key, ailerons were "tiny" barely rising from the wing surface (no experience with RW aircraft so this might be normal) Aircraft was very responsive to joystick movement non-the-less.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209866[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209867[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209868[/ATTACH]

Thanks Jethro, yes, I got mine going for sure. It was a hunt and peck mission. Nice pics of your flight test!

Pics are very crisp and clear; you can even see a crack in the tarmac (pic #1).

If you still have this downloaded, check out the weight and balance section. I believe it is in "Station Load.2" there is an entry for 15,000 lbs for ballast????? I quickly got rid of that non-sense!

Also, the fllght surfaces (ailerons and rudders on vert stabilizer) move in the wrong directions. Plane still flies like a dream, but just something to bug you/me as to why? Kind of like someone leaving the Starbucks coffee cup in the episode of "Games of Thrones!"

Thanks Jethro for checking this aircraft out. Hope you had some fun in doing so! Have a nice day! Yes, she is a beauty, and that is why I stuck with it until I got rid of the arch! :rolleyes:

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Hi Rick,

Not that it matters now, since you have everything working, but I think I may have an ID on the Black Arch seen in your first pic, I don't know why it appeared externally though.

What it looks like is the an external view projection of the Black canopy seal being projected beyond the aircraft, only huge in proportion to its actual size on the model. It may have been a glitchy way of showing the missing textures.

The shape almost exactly matches the Phantom II VC picture below (Purple area) even the 2 areas where the mirrors meet the Black seal seem to line up with the gaps at the top of the arch in your pic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209952[/ATTACH]

Edited by jethrom

Hi Rick,

Not that it matters now, since you have everything working, but I think I may have an ID on the Black Arch seen in your first pic, I don't know why it appeared externally though.

What it looks like is the an external view projection of the Black canopy seal being projected beyond the aircraft, only huge in proportion to its actual size on the model. It may have been a glitchy way of showing the missing textures.

The shape almost exactly matches the Phantom II VC picture below (Purple area) even the 2 areas where the mirrors meet the Black seal seem to line up with the gaps at the top of the arch in your pic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209952[/ATTACH]

You know what jethrom, I think you are on to something here! I agree, the shape of the cockpit enclosure almost agrees with the shape I encountered! Also, the two transition pieces at the bottom of each side, match what was projected.

I know one thing, I am not going to try to resurrect the issue!! It damn near drove me mad trying to figure out where it came from. It definitely had something to do with missing files (approx 12) from the texture file. Once I found out what was missing, I copied the files over from one of the other textures and that solved it. How those files came up missing, I have not a clue!

Thanks for sharing and GREAT detective work! We might keep you around, just in case...............!

Rick :cool: