Best hardware for instrument rating training?

mreastvillage

Been a private pilot all my life, and now ready to make a run at instrument rating. I'm in NYC so its very expensive to go up to White Plains to rent planes, so I want to get as much procedural training as I can at home as to make the most of my actual time in aircraft.

1. Should I try to get something like an FAA-approved FTD and log hours toward my instrument?

2. Should I just get a high-fidelity sim as option #1 will be expensive?

3. I grew up with steam gauges, and aren't sure what types of aircraft I will be doing my instrument in; makes me wonder if I should try to train on the G1000, or just call the FBO and find out what aircraft I would be doing my checkride in.

Anyway, let me know what you guys recommend. My budget is around $3,000, but can go higher if needed.

P.S. Started with MS-Flight Sim around 1992, stopped flying sims in 2000. I have a lot to catch up on, but learning quickly (Love X-Plane!)

A good computer, a good stick/yoke and rudder pedals and FSX or Prepar3d can provide all you need for procedural training, and for helping to develop your scan. The FAA's online manuals can provide some very good information about flying in general and, in particular, the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Aeronautical Information Manual can help you a lot, even before you start formal training and get your groundschool materials.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived