I have given up!

Jerry6730

I just got New machine with Win10. MS cfs2.

Tried "compatibility settings"....no luck.

Hoping for some "LUCK" here.

I've read some of the other threads regarding this, but it's a little over my head.

BUT....thanks in advance for any help/;advice!

Hoping for some "LUCK" here.

I've read some of the other threads regarding this, but it's a little over my head.

BUT....thanks in advance for any help/;advice!

It works perfectly with Win 10, but `compatibility settings` are definitely NOT the way forward.

……...

A new vanilla install of Win 10 equals a long list of missing earlier versions of essential libraries that older titles such as CFS 2 need.

This will include such libraries as:

Visual C++ - probably a version of Visual C++ 2005 or earlier.

Direct X - CFS 2 requires V7. It will be included on the disk but will be well out of date and incompatible with Win 10. Will need to source a copy of V7 but also suggest V8 and V9 for completeness.

.NET framework - probably V3.5 and V4

Google is your friend here when sourcing them. TIP - do not install direct from the download but save the files to a temp location. Install them by RIGHT clicking on the file and selecting Run As Administrator. Install them in order of version (i.e. .NET V3.5 followed by V4) and reboot using the RESTART option between each version install - a PITA but essential to ensure that system files and the Registry is updated.

WRT Compatibility mode - it will only work if the correct essential libraries are in place. As well as using Compatibility mode also run the game in Administrator mode - do this by right clicking on the desktop shortcut and selecting Properties then click on the Compatibility tab. Place a tick in the Run this program as an administrator option, click apply and then close the Properties box

Regards

Brian

Thanks Brian. Until Microsoft comes out with a windows operating platform that will allow CFS2 AND older versions of CFS to run, I putting my CFS's in the hangar. Sure loved flying those old war birds.

If you had CFS2 running on say Windows 7 just add another 250BG HD to your pc and install Windows 7 on it along with CFS2. You can also do this with XP though it is trickier. If all else fails buy an XP pc, with hardware from say the 2008 era, and run old software on that.

Direct X - CFS 2 requires V7. It will be included on the disk but will be well out of date and incompatible with Win 10. Will need to source a copy of V7 but also suggest V8 and V9 for completeness....

All DX versions are backwards compatible and mutually compatible, each installs in its own folder. DX12 contains every previous function, the issue comes from how the particular, usually older, program calls the function. DX9.0c was the last "old" DX, its functions are contained in numerous small dlls, with DX 10 MS consolidated all the functions into fewer, larger, dlls.

Newer software will always call the function by name, so it will be found in DX 10, 11, or 12; but some older programs call the function by path and name, so will not find it on a newer system since it will be seeking a specific DX9, or earlier, path.

So we end up several different installs of DX to cater to these older programs. There's no conflict here because W10 ignores these installs unless a program calls a DX function by path, in which case W10 finds that function as easily as if it were in DX12.

Checking "Programs and Features" will show what is installed - any Microsoft Visual Basic C++ listing is DX, it's not uncommon to have 2005, 2008, 2010, installed along with the default for your OS.

Thanks Brian. Until Microsoft comes out with a windows operating platform that will allow CFS2 AND older versions of CFS to run, I putting my CFS's in the hangar. Sure loved flying those old war birds.

Well I guess we can consider you retired then. That's not going to happen anytime soon! Sorry!

Archived