What is this CTD??!!

Mac6737

OK, so I made the leap from FSX to Prepar3d, and am generally delighted.

Before the shift, I had added a lot of Orbx scenery, Rex clouds and some high-maintenance payware aircraft, and was up against the 32-bit limit on Virtual Access Space. Many CTDs, plus "ghosted" parts of planes, etc.

But last night, I had one of my few CTDs in Prepar3d, apparently triggered when I tried to access the cursor on the GPS screen in the Mooney Acclaim. My Event View identified the "faulting module" as symmap.dll. OK, so it's a driver. Any fresh ideas about how to prevent recurrences?

Thanks all,

Mac6737

OK, so I made the leap from FSX to Prepar3d, and am generally delighted.

Before the shift, I had added a lot of Orbx scenery, Rex clouds and some high-maintenance payware aircraft, and was up against the 32-bit limit on Virtual Access Space. Many CTDs, plus "ghosted" parts of planes, etc.

But last night, I had one of my few CTDs in Prepar3d, apparently triggered when I tried to access the cursor on the GPS screen in the Mooney Acclaim. My Event View identified the "faulting module" as symmap.dll. OK, so it's a driver. Any fresh ideas about how to prevent recurrences?

Thanks all,

Mac6737

What version of P3D? What addons installed?

Yesterday I saw a report of a OOM CTD on L-M's P3D forum, and - hold on to something substantial - this was with P3D v. 4.4!!!!!

The poster was using a LOT of ORBX scenery, and most likely the OOM came not from the RAM, but from the VRAM on the video card. That is a new one for me, for sure.

The thread can be found here: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=133006

So, as Mallcott says: we need version of P3D, addons installed, and also make of graphics card including the amount of VRAM on it.

Jorgen

Thanks for your interest. Details:

P3D v. 4.4;

Specs: Core i7-8700K, GeForce GTX 1070 T; AORUS Z370 gaming motherboard; 16 GB RAM.

Aside from planes brought over from FSX, add-ons are the basic Orbx global suite and some sceneries, Rex soft clouds, and a few Carenado planes.

Mac67737

Just for the record, here's the whole thread as it appears today on L-M's P3D forum at 17:10 my time:

Begin quote:

Out of Memory

Search this topic…

SearchAdvanced search 2 posts • Page 1 of 1

IanHarr

Out of Memory

Postby IanHarr » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 pm

I just tried to take off from London City Airport in a stock single engine Bravo and got the dreaded OoM message.

I was trying out the new Orbx England South.

I have a GTX 1080 8gb,16 gb Ram, and an i7 6700k @ 4.4.

I thought this was impossible with Win 10 and P3D v4?

Ian Harrison

User avatarSimbol

Re: Out of Memory

Postby Simbol » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Can you replicate the error and check your video card memory usage and PC memory usage?

The new Orbx England South has to be tweaked carefully via its control panel as it introduces lots of objects that can starve your video card memory, specially if you have all the P3D settings sliders to the right.

For the record, this is not the same OoM message you used to get with 32bit versions of the simulator, the simulator will never run out of ram as it has now access to the 64bit memory area, however your video card can run out of VRam with very demanding add-on's as ORBX TE South if you are not careful with your graphics settings and the add-on configuration.

The same can happen with any other video game / simulator, I have seem this errors in Unreal Engine, Ubisoft Products, Call of duty, etc. the more you ask to your video card, the more VRAM and power your GPU will need.

Regards,

Simbol

End quote.

So the OP in that thread has not replied back yet with his settings.

Jorgen

Just for the record, here's the whole thread as it appears today on L-M's P3D forum at 17:10 my time:

Jorgen,

Yeah, I read that. Before I switched to P3D I had many CTD/OOMs in intense scenery, such as Orbx England. Not any more.

And I have reviewed my notes, since the P3D install in December, and discover that all but one of my crashes has been for the "symmap.dll" module error, and all those were when I accessed the GPS screen, either initially or to tinker. To the best of my recollection, none was at a time when my FPS was low (I have set the target as 60).

Anyway, the message of the thread you repeat is that you can't have it all.

I knew that.

Mac6737

Jorgen,

Yes, the installer that came with P3D put a "Lockheed Martin" folder in Program Files. That folder has 2 sub-folders: P3D and something else (which I seem to recall downloading with the purchase of P3D). I think you are suggesting I simply move the whole shebang, or maybe just the main P3D folder, to the root directory.

"If something can go wrong, it will go wrong." -- Murphy's Law.

Archived