ADE - Am I missing something here???

bmatt569

Hi All,

The other day I was going to make a flight for one of the VAs I fly with (Deer Vallley Flying Club, great bunch!). IO was going to fly into Payette, ID (S75) airport. I did a search to find an add on. No luck.

So, I thought, what the heck, let's get into ADE and build one. Lo and behold, there was one already there.

My question, if there is an airport in ADE how do you use it to update the default airport in FSX (specifically, FSX SE)?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Generally, I start with loading the default airport into ADE, then I modify it. I can add/remove/replace buildings, add static aircraft, rearrange the runways and taxiways, etc., then it just needs to be compiled. This avoids conflicts and/or minimizes managing .bgl files for the default airports. But you can also take the one you've built, put it in an add-on scenery folder (I have a folder structure for many of them), then add it into the scenery library, bing sure it's above the default airports and such.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. As you can guess I'm just getting started with ADE. I've watched a few good tutorials adn tried a bit. My problem is getting the SDK for FSX SE so that I can compile my efforts. But, that's another story.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

And note that you can't edit the runway/s without omitting the default first. The default will always take precedence. I have been meaning to do this myself and I have an airport I've been meaning to redo, but it requires deactivating the default airport so that it's not active and overlaps your modified version. There is a tutorial on how to do this, but I lost the link. It's at the FSDeveloper website somewhere.

And note that you can't edit the runway/s without omitting the default first. The default will always take precedence. ... it requires deactivating the default airport so that it's not active and overlaps your modified version.

You do not understand how ADE works.

When you edit an airport in ADE, then compile it and place the .bgl file(s) in an active scenery folder that has higher priority in the Scenery Library than the default airport, your edited airport will show in the sim and none of the default airport will show.

You do not have to worry about removing the default airport, ADE does that for you.

peace,

the Bean

(Note: the above comments assume that you are editing the default airport and not trying to modify another addon)

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

And note that you can't edit the runway/s without omitting the default first.

As Bean says, that's not necessary, which is why I said, "then add it into the scenery library, bing sure it's above the default airports and such."

Should be being.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

If you want to change an ICAO, you have to go through a process.

If you want to change runways you have to go through a process. I have changed the Mag on a couple of runways and I ended up with the defaults and the new.

Trust me, I use ADE all the time and this has been my experience.

Same thing for scenery. You have to create exclusions and then move or delete those objects.

But the OP asked about "to update the default airport", which typically means adding, removing or replacing taxiways, buildings, static aircraft and other objects, none of which requires what you described. Even reorienting the runways and taxiways, or moving the airport don't require that IF you get the scenery library right. Well, you may have to change exclusion zones and such, but that still doesn't mean you have to "omitting the default first. The default will always take precedence." Library priorities take care of that.

But I don't change the airport ID, so I can't speak to that process.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

My question, if there is an airport in ADE how do you use it to update the default airport in FSX (specifically, FSX SE)?

When you open ADE you search first for the default airport you want to change. Then make your changes that are desired. When done you compile the airport. When the compile window opens change the compile path to the scenery folder that you find in your add-on scenery folder. Once the path is set, compile, the next window will ask you if want to save. It is your choice. It will not effect the compiled airport. When done close the program and open the add-on scenery folder, then the scenery folder. You should see the airport that you have completed. It should have your initials that you chose in setting up ADE. Now there is no need to change anything else. What the sim is actually reading is something like a copy of the default scenery, but with the changes. The only change that was made to the default scenery folder was by adding a .off extension. Which is done automatically when you click compile.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Once the path is set, compile, the next window will ask you if want to save. It is your choice.

You should save your work. If you decide you want to come back later and make changes to your airport, you do so to the saved airport, not the compiled airport.

The only change that was made to the default scenery folder was by adding a .off extension. Which is done automatically when you click compile.

Sigh,....no, that is not what happens.

ADE does not make any changes to the default files, and neither should we.

The .bgl file that ADE produces contains code that tells FS to ignore the default airport data and use what is in the ADE-generated file instead.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Sigh,....no, that is not what happens

#1 You're right there Bean. My bad. I was looking at another airport.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Archived