Out of Memory FS2004

zswobbie1

Hi all,

I have about 7 FS2004 installs, & I'm getting an OOM error & aircraft initialisation error.

I'm only getting this with one of my installs, & I'm running that 4GB patch & I have deleted & rebuilt the cfg file.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi all,

I have about 7 FS2004 installs, & I'm getting an OOM error & aircraft initialisation error.

I'm only getting this with one of my installs, & I'm running that 4GB patch & I have deleted & rebuilt the cfg file.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Robin

Have you checked it's not because of the default saved flight? Create another and use a different aircraft.

I'd check this first and then look into it further from there if you still have problems.

Mark Daniels

The aircraft initialisation error is caused by a previously saved flight, which when opened, can no longer find the aircraft which was initially saved with it.

A (Windows) OOM error is given, not when you don't have enough memory for FS, but when an access to a memory item is attempted outside your Windows memory area. One of the possible culprits could lie within something which is programable, e.g. a gauge, an effect, etc. However, I agree fully with Mark Daniels, that you should first check your newly generated FS9.cfg file to see if the default flight specified in there is still correct.

There are numerous forum posts on the OOM subject and just as many possible causes.

Why do you have 7 Fs2004 installs ?

Hope this helps.

Regards

Hans

I did not want to overload a single install with loads of scenery & planes, so I have a normal install, Golden Wings, a dedicated Ford Tri-Motor install - separate, as my normal install has scenery that changes coastlines & that affects the Ford install, a Vintage install (pre WWI) a Historical install (WWII), a Space install (Pendergraft space scenery & planes, I'm beta testing updated scenery) & an Alaskan install (Tongass, Misty, Glacier Bay) & an install for members of my VA, so we are all have the same scenery & planes.

Each has unique UI's & splash screens. This way, I don't have scenery clash issues & it makes the installs more compact.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

As soom as I start this install, it comes up with this error:

Your computer has run out of available memory, Flight Simulator will now exit. You may not have enough free space on your hard drive. Run Disk Cleanup to free up space & then try running Flight Simulator again.

I have plenty of free space!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

As already said before, in most cases OOM's have oothing to do with lacking space. It frequently occured when a file isn't compatible. It might be in a scenery or aircraft folder, or due to a bad AI traffic. If you deactivate either all sceneries (besides default ones) or all Aircraft or AI traffic you should be fixed very fast where to search. If the issue has been created by on of these, you should deactivate and reactivate them step by step. I would began with some letters together - like A to D and so on - and see what happens. Finally l the resonsable file will be found.

I agree, it would take time, but it's the most efficent way to solve such issues.

The sim will not even start up. It trys to run, then just before the aircraft selection screen, or any other, pops up, I get the error message & the sim shuts down.

A few ways to deal with this. Chances are likely greatest it is a scenery file.

You could download Scenery Config Editor and use it to disable scenery without needing to go into FS first. Take a look at it. It's much better than using the in-built system. I use it all the time.

Hopefully that's all it takes. If not, there are other things that can be done. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Mark Daniels

FS Scenery Manager available here might be an other option. Very simple but fast to handle. More than thousand entries could be reactivated step by step within one hour. First backup your scenery.cfg, change all lines "Active=TRUE" to Active=FALSE" (besides the first two "area.00x") and try to restart FS. If it's running ok, so you might start FS Scenery Manager and reactivate the sceneries step by step (a couple of twenty ot thirty) and restart FS every time. Note which one was the first and latest entry, in order to know which couple of sceneries could be infected.

BTW, I would suggest to everybody to have always a basic FS9 installed and do backups regularly, as Long as FS is running normal. This way it will be easy to use either a default scenery.cfg or the one which was running well before.

Archived