Copy and paste Fs9 backup

HoratioWondersocks

Hello All

In the near future it looks as though I am going to have to reinstall a new copy of Fs9 from the original discs and then copy over it with my backup on external drive.

I have done this many times ,but I feel the need for a bit of clarification on the method .

Do I 1.Just copy the backup folder itself (not open it )and paste it into my new Fs9 installation folder.

Or 2. Open the backup folder,COPY all the contents ,open the new Fs9 installation folder and PASTE into that OVER the new installation.

I hope this is making some sense.

I have done this many times before ,but simply can't remember which method I chose. I think it's the latter.

It's an age thing.😀

Thanks Andrew

When I reinstalled FS2004 years ago using my backup, I did the copy/paste method myself. But any pay for add-ons will have to be reinstalled from scratch.

Hello

Thanks for your reply.

When you say you used the copy and paste method did you open your backup folder and copy all the contents and then open your new installation folder for Fs9 and then paste into it.

Iam thinking that this must be the correct way of doing it ,rather than just copying the backup folder itself and pasting it into the new installation folder as this would surely mean just a copy of the the backup folder itself within the new installation folder.

I am beginning to confuse myself now.

I don't know why Iam getting such a bee in my bonnet about this as I have managed it before.

Anyway I know some of my add-ons ie fsglobal for instance will have to be reinstalled ,but that's usually fairly straightforward to do.

The only gripe about all this is copying ,pasteing and reinstalling is the time it all takes.

Thanks for your thoughts

Andrew

Hello All

In the near future it looks as though I am going to have to reinstall a new copy of Fs9 from the original discs and then copy over it with my backup on external drive.

I have done this many times ,but I feel the need for a bit of clarification on the method .

Do I 1.Just copy the backup folder itself (not open it )and paste it into my new Fs9 installation folder.

Or 2. Open the backup folder,COPY all the contents ,open the new Fs9 installation folder and PASTE into that OVER the new installation.

I hope this is making some sense.

I have done this many times before ,but simply can't remember which method I chose. I think it's the latter.

It's an age thing.😀

Thanks Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Have a look at this article we recently published:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?19087-How-to-Create-Multiple-Installs-of-FS2004

It might give you a few ideas.

Regards

Dominic

As everyone should do (!), I backup regularly my complete FS9 on a external hard drive. Sometimes it happens that I had do delete completely current sim (through Setting/Apps) and reinstall it completely. In order to get a correct registry I install a basic FS9 and rename it like FS9 original. Then I paste the whole backuped FS9 to hard disk. Before that I save FS9.cfg as well and replaces

the default one. While doing this way I get all former settings back.

Hello Dominic

Thanks for the link.

Can I ask you this.

When my pc comes back to me repaired it will come back with my hard drive having having been erased ,along with my Fs9 installation.

This is not a problem as I have this installation backed up on an external drive.

Now this is my question...Can I simply copy and paste this backed up installation into my newly repaired PC And if so will it work?

Or ! should I install a brand new installation of Fs9 from the original disks into my PC and THEN copy my backed up version over this installation?

Obviously the former would save me time but whichever method works (perhaps they both do ) I just want a working sim.

Thanks Andrew

If all you saved was the flightsim folder itself then you will need to install FS9 from the disks before doing the copy and paste. That will set up the needed folders and files in the Documents and Settings/Users folder that you didn't save. It will also add the Registry entries required for many addon programs to find FS9.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hi Andrew,

So, you have a backup of your sim on an external drive.

You have 2x options.

Either do a fresh install. If you are installing into Windows 10, there are a few things to do first, we will come back to that if & when neccessary.

Or, Copy & Paste your backup of the sim into C:\

Right-click & send the FS9.exe to the desktop.

When you run it for the first time, a new fs9,cfg will be created, so you will have to double-check & maybe re-do key assignments.

You will also have to re-install all payware stuff, as these affect the registry.

Yiu can also download & run the registry tool from Flight1, that sorts out the registry for you.

https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Doing this quicker copy & paste works like a charm, however (yup, always an however), you will probably loose whatever flights that have been saved in My Documents\Flight sim files (or whatever its called)

Doing things this way will also allow you to set up multiple sims. I have 8!

Hope this sorts you our,

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas .

As I mentioned in my original post I have actually had to this (reinstalling and then copying over my backup) on a number of occasions ,but I have done in a sort of hit and hope but usually getting there in the end sort of way and never quite remembering HOW I had done it .Once the sim was up and running again I was just pleased to be airborne once more and soon forgot about how exactly I had achieved this. My post was about trying to eliminate guess work and finding the definitive way of getting Fs9 up and running again as quickly and smoothly as possible as it a long winded business.

Again thanks for all your replies.

Thanks Andrew

Again many thanks to all of you for helping me out with this reinstalling ,copying ,pasteing Fs9 query.

Iam happy to report that Fs9 is now running correctly on the latest updated version of W10 (that was a very pleasant surprise too, as it would not run correctly without black screen issues when clicking screen .

This would occur after windows 1803 big Spring? update. On version 1703 sim also ran correctly as well.

So happy but watchful .

Thanks Andrew

PS must check which version of W10 I am actually running now.

Archived