Crazy head bobbing virtual cockpit, prefer 2D panel, way to force 2D panel in Baron?

Amtran618

I have the box vers of X, bought it the day it came out years ago and uninstalled it the next day went back to FS2004. First I have opened it in 10 years, installing it now, never liked it because of the headbobbing virtual panel, I am a 2D panel pilot, in real life my panel does not bob up and down, it stays in the same place. I couldnt even find the option for a 2D panel in the stock baron, which is what i prefer to use practicing GA approaches. Is there a way to force load and stay in 2D mode? Or at least get rid of the stupid head bobbing up and down, wth were they thinking?

Thanks

Maybe this still works, looks like the last time I flew X was 2007, the disks loaded back up on the new laptop, probably about to experience activation errors.. and than download ser packs.. any help would be appreciated to eliminate install activation headaches. I installed in C: directory on win 10

Here is the answer to headbobbing though, hopefully it works https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?155261-How-do-you-disable-the-head-bobbing-in-VC

2D vs VC

to begin with, you have a menu option to select your preferred cockpit: 2D or VC

Second, you have a hot key for each so you can un-bind the vc one so you don't select it accidentally.

Thirdly, you can add the parameter CycleHidden=Yes to the end of the VC camera definition so you also don't have to step past it when pressing the "A" key to cycle through all available cockpit views. It then only becomes available in the view menu list.

Fourthly, when you get one of the 2D views, remember that you've got the "W" key also that cycles through a variety of 2D views, panel, empty, mini-panel, sometime additional ifr panels etc.

And just for gratis, since you avoided fsx for so long, you'll probably miss the "Fixed view" from FS9 so you can add that view back by adding this camera definition to the end of your FSX cameras.cfg

;-------------------------------------------

[CameraDefinition.012]

Title = "Fixed Heading"

Guid = {BFAB347E-8B9C-4189-A427-89D9682D7A53}

Description = Global Fixed spot view.

Origin = Center

Track = FixedChaseLocked

Category = Outside

SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

PitchPanRate=15

HeadingPanRate = 45

PanAcceleratorTime = 0

AllowZoom = Yes

InitialZoom = 1.0

zoompanscalar = 1

SmoothZoomTime = 0

XyzAdjust = True

XyzRate = 10.0

ShowAxis = No

ShowLensFlare = No

ShowWeather = Yes

Transition = No

ClipMode = Spot

MomentumEffect = FALSE

Also don't forget that camera definitions IN the aircraft.cfg will also need the MomentumEffect disabled if you use that method to squelch the head bobbing...

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

2D vs VC

to begin with, you have a menu option to select your preferred cockpit: 2D or VC

Second, you have a hot key for each so you can un-bind the vc one so you don't select it accidentally.

Thirdly, you can add the parameter CycleHidden=Yes to the end of the VC camera definition so you also don't have to step past it when pressing the "A" key to cycle through all available cockpit views. It then only becomes available in the view menu list.

Fourthly, when you get one of the 2D views, remember that you've got the "W" key also that cycles through a variety of 2D views, panel, empty, mini-panel, sometime additional ifr panels etc.

And just for gratis, since you avoided fsx for so long, you'll probably miss the "Fixed view" from FS9 so you can add that view back by adding this camera definition to the end of your FSX cameras.cfg

;-------------------------------------------

[CameraDefinition.012]

Title = "Fixed Heading"

Guid = {BFAB347E-8B9C-4189-A427-89D9682D7A53}

Description = Global Fixed spot view.

Origin = Center

Track = FixedChaseLocked

Category = Outside

SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

PitchPanRate=15

HeadingPanRate = 45

PanAcceleratorTime = 0

AllowZoom = Yes

InitialZoom = 1.0

zoompanscalar = 1

SmoothZoomTime = 0

XyzAdjust = True

XyzRate = 10.0

ShowAxis = No

ShowLensFlare = No

ShowWeather = Yes

Transition = No

ClipMode = Spot

MomentumEffect = FALSE

Also don't forget that camera definitions IN the aircraft.cfg will also need the MomentumEffect disabled if you use that method to squelch the head bobbing...

Loyd

Hey thank you for all that info Loyd, I have been with msfs since version 4 also, got soloed in an old 172 back almost 30 years ago and did the dual crosscountry with an old cropduster cfi and he didnt verify my proficiency in navigation with vor or ndb, and turned me loose and I got myself good and lost and good thing I had lots of gas I had to learn how to make that adf needle take me to the airport I missed twice trying to use vors. I eventually found the field and a friend gave me a couple ms4 3.5 floppys and I learned adf and vor navigation really good before getting back in that 172 LOL.

Now everything is all gps, no way to get lost if you tried, whip out your phone and turn on the gps if you lose everything in the plane. I fly the Falcon 2000 EX now, its nice.

Your head moves in real life in a cockpit.

My head moves here at my computer, too, but the computer screen, window beside me, and the room don't move around. The FSX bobbing effect may be attractive to a few people, but it doesn't give a feeling of realism to me, and to many others. It's done in an unnatural way, too.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

There is a mode in FSX where you can have the cockpit bouncing to attempt to represent the airplane bouncing a bit, but you obviously have that mode turned off.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

All I know is I installed the sim and the first time I flew it, it defaulted to the vc panel, I did my usual shift s to cycle through views hoping to find 2d cockpit, it was not there, so I continued in vc, I pitched and than the panel started moving up and down like a roller coaster ride. Today after I finally got it reinstalled the first thing I did was go into aircraft settings and select 2d cockpit, that fixed it, thank god LOL.

I havent had time to mess with it anymore, will tomorrow, but one thing I havent figured out yet is.. in FS2004 in 2d panel if I wanted to raise seat height I hit shift and enter and would raise, and shift and backspace would lower it, that is not working in FSX. It might be this new laptop keyboard layout, I have encountered an anomaly I havent seen before with this $329. laptop I just bought

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-3-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-vega-3-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-jet-black-with-a-maglia-texture/6273510.p?skuId=6273510

Its running the sim fine no problem running 50fps but the F1-F4 keys I normally use for full throttle and idle and also F5-F8 I use for flaps, these keys are now fn keys, have to push fn and than the F key to set throttle and flaps.. a pita.

but you obviously have that mode turned off.

I think the "bounce" is controlled by:

MomentumEffect = No

in the Virtual Cockpit entry in Cameras.cfg.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Archived