Solid State and Regular Hard Drive Use

Hi,

After being away from Simming for a few years, I just bought a new system along with a TB SSD and 2 TB HDD hard drives along with Prepar3d version 4. I want to get it right from the start, so what types of files should be stored on each drive? A friend suggested all flight sim files and addons should go on the Solid State drive, so what should the mechanical drive be used for? Thanks. Tom

Hi,

After being away from Simming for a few years, I just bought a new system along with a TB SSD and 2 TB HDD hard drives along with Prepar3d version 4. I want to get it right from the start, so what types of files should be stored on each drive? A friend suggested all flight sim files and addons should go on the Solid State drive, so what should the mechanical drive be used for? Thanks. Tom

OS/P3D on SSD.

P3D NOT recommended for the game-standard Program Files. Better on a standalone subset of the C:\ drive:

C:\Prepar3d

Scenery files on HD

IF you use Orbx, that will be better off on the HD as well, using the MKLink command

P3Dv4 will put addon aircraft elsewhere on the C:\ drive.

If the addon wants to be in the P3D install in \Prepar3d v4\SimObjects\Aircraft that is NOT the recommended location, suggesting the aircraft is NOT actually P3dv4 compliant. More research needed before installing!

The MKLink he's referring to is the symlink creation to store files on another drive or partition. What this does is that since ORBX wants to be on your main drive, you can symlink the directory to another hard drive to save space. Seen as how you have a 1 TB SSD I wouldn't even bother.

To redirect your downloads folder to the platter, that is a setting withen your browser. You may also want to store videos, documents, pictures, music, etc on the platter and not the SSD.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

That's a good program, and I've used it, but like I mentioned you really don't have to place ORBX on the platter since he's got a 1 TB SSD. Especially if all one uses is global. Even then, it's not like you're gonna run out of room anytime soon.

Archived