FSX-SE SIDs/STARs

Dragonpilot

When I file an IFR flight there doesn't seem to be a provision for including SIDs or STARs. I can't even add them with an aircraft that doesn't have a working FMS...or am I missing something?

I have taken to modifying my route by adding waypoints that sorta look like the published SID/STAR. I suppose it's better than nothing, but unless I upgrade to something like XPlane or PMDG with a functioning FMS I guess I'm in the cheap seats.

Standard Instrument Departures and Standard Terminal Arrivals are simply a compendium of procedures and techniques to combine features contained within a flight plan or approved route. They do NOT exist as separate parts of a flight plan but rather as approved procedures along the route, mostly to enter or leave the airway system...

What aircraft are you flying that you expect would contain SIDS and STARS?

The method I use to fly today's charts. I live close to KBNA. Pilots depart KBNA and my favorite intersection to hear them fly on departure is BGDDY. 1) go to your GPS and type in BGDDY. It should not be there. 2) google FSX intersection update. the site you are looking for is http://www.aero.sors.fr/navint.html. 3) On that page you will see a list. It says Selected regions. Choose North America and save that BGL file. 4)Use whatever method you unzip zip files and take that BGL file and place it in your FSX Addon Scenery/ Scenery folder. 5)Start the sim. 6)Go to your GPS and type in BGDDY. It should be there. Lucky 7)You will now be able to use today's charts.

Added Bonus: On that website there is a download for a simple flight planner. 1)download that stand alone program and install it where ever you wish.(http://www.aero.sors.fr/designer_pilot_utilities2.html) 2)open the program and type in the flight plan. In the empty box you can type in the intersections (in order) off the SID or STAR chart or any chart you want for that manner and save the flight. 3) fly any chart (RNAV for example), SID or STAR in any aircraft you wish. For me, this method works like a charm. I've flown the famous RYYMN Two STAR into KBNA in the default B737 a few times. Certainly gives new life into an old sim.

mgytn...excellent! I got everything loaded per your instructions. However, I haven't been able to discover the appropriate sequence of keystrokes/knob hits on the GPS to enter multiple waypoints such as those one would find on a FMS SID. For example the BLUIT THREE FMS DEPARTURE (BLUIT3)(PILOT NAV) at KSEA shows the following waypoints: SEA08, F356J, F038M, F069X, and BLUIT. I can add the SEA08 waypoint, but when I add the F356J waypoint the SEA08 disappears, as do any other waypoints I try to add.

mgytn...excellent! I got everything loaded per your instructions. However, I haven't been able to discover the appropriate sequence of keystrokes/knob hits on the GPS to enter multiple waypoints such as those one would find on a FMS SID. For example the BLUIT THREE FMS DEPARTURE (BLUIT3)(PILOT NAV) at KSEA shows the following waypoints: SEA08, F356J, F038M, F069X, and BLUIT. I can add the SEA08 waypoint, but when I add the F356J waypoint the SEA08 disappears, as do any other waypoints I try to add.

picflightplan.jpg

The only way I know to do that would to use the simple flight planner that you can download from that same website. To make it simple, I used the default FSX flight planner for the route KSEA-KDEN using VOR-VOR. Next I inserted the waypoints into the box including your SID for the route and I let the program compile a flight plan for my FSX. I used the default GPS to make sure the waypoints you gave me are valid before inserting them into the flight plan. By default the program will tell you if a waypoint is not in the database. If you run across a waypoint that is missing, then simply do not include it in your plan. I noticed that the waypoint F069X is missing and the program said as well so I simply did not include it in the SID. Bottom line, to include a SID or STAR in a flight plan type in all the waypoints from a flight plan including the waypoints from the SID and or STAR into the simple flight planner and it will put it all together. Hope this helps.

Beyond awesome! So, just to be clear, using this particular simple flight planner a flight plan must be manually built into the route box, right? IOW, unlike SimBrief, it doesn't generate an automatic flt plan, one must take the routing from another source...like a chart OR SimBrief and manually plug it into the simple planner, otherwise there's no way to inject it into FSX-SE...a somewhat primitive sim when compared to XPlane or PMDG (which I haven't gone to yet, obviously). Your help has opened some amazing doors! Thanks!

Beyond awesome! So, just to be clear, using this particular simple flight planner a flight plan must be manually built into the route box, right? IOW, unlike SimBrief, it doesn't generate an automatic flt plan, one must take the routing from another source...like a chart OR SimBrief and manually plug it into the simple planner, otherwise there's no way to inject it into FSX-SE...a somewhat primitive sim when compared to XPlane or PMDG (which I haven't gone to yet, obviously). Your help has opened some amazing doors! Thanks!

Exactly. I think you have it figured out. It might be a pain to type in the route manually but I think it is really cool to be able to fly a real life route or as i frequently do, I like to fly RNAV or published ILS approaches easily in any aircraft. Happy flying, enjoy flying updated charts.

Looks like since using this method an inconvenient bug has crept in. I'm using 'bot ATC and get CD and Ground OK, but can't change to Tower freq...when I click on "Change to tower freq" or whatever it says, it switches back to CD or ATIS no matter how many times I try. So, I've been relegated to just taking off without a Tower clearance, am scolded repeatedly by Ground, until a Departure freq pops up then I request an IFR clearance in the air. From that point everything proceeds normally. ????

Archived