Backing Up P3d?

LTCSZ

This might be a moot question, but here goes...Is there any easy way to move P3d V4.4 to a new drive without re-installing the entire program? I am collecting more scenery, planes, etc., than I ever thought I would, and the drive on which I originally installed the simulator is rapidly approaching full...I would like to move the entire installation to a new SSD with lots of room, but I shudder at doing a complete re-install...Suggestions would be welcome...Thanks!

This might be a moot question, but here goes...Is there any easy way to move P3d V4.4 to a new drive without re-installing the entire program? I am collecting more scenery, planes, etc., than I ever thought I would, and the drive on which I originally installed the simulator is rapidly approaching full...I would like to move the entire installation to a new SSD with lots of room, but I shudder at doing a complete re-install...Suggestions would be welcome...Thanks!

Don't move the entire installation and risk the MOAFU.

Instead add a folder on the new SSD and create a link to the new folder location in the Prepar3d.cfg. Or just move stuff to a folder called `hangar` on the new SSD - you can only fly one aircraft at a time, and if you want it just move it back

For scenery you can place it anywhere you like, and link to the location in the scenery menu. For those scenery items that HAVE to be co-located in the main folder there are symbolic links - I have my ORBX folder linked to a folder in my 2TB hard drive.

Plenty of choices there: It is easy to move many of the folders in P3D.

if you look here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/add-ons/add-on_packages.html

and here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/add-ons/add-on_configuration_files.html

you will see that there is complete flexibility in specifying where P3D should look for add-on material.

You could leave your exisitng P3D install where it lies, and simply add new stuff to folders located on a new drive.

Doug

So, If i simply make a new folder on the new SSD and call it Add on Scenery and start installing new stuff onto it referencing it in the Scenery Library, everything should work? Thanks again...

Read the SDK. It contains the other alternatives, such as installing using the xml method.

Get the Lorby Add on organizer freeware - you can use it to create and organize the add on xml files

http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived