Moonrise LA Harbor and one more

Stans2Low

Couple shots, FSX gold, no addons, cheap laptop that broke couple years ago. The Harbor looks better in the moonlight. The second one is on the river near Tumlingtar Nepal. Tumlingtar is one of the few airfields in the Himalayas that doesn't have a scary approach. The trike tops out at 85 mph (a 2018 Air Creation Trike goes 100 mph with the standard engine, please developers make a realistic performance trike like a Revo with the modified 912S, I'd pay) but if you take off from there you can go overspeed all the way to the flatlands East of Kathmandu. Not challenging unless you want to dodge the trees but a nice run.

Moonrise LA harbor.jpgNepal river.jpg

As a Sim pilot that's been around the world four times now and been to many, many places thus far and crossed countless thousands of miles of oceans, I've seen that moonlight reflection on the water whether the moon was out or not. I think M$ took the lazy programming route and added the reflection, but never made it homogeneous with the moon visibility when it's in sight or not. I kept seeing the reflection and wondered where it was coming from.

Look at this sucker. 8,848 meters * 3.281 gives you 29.030 feet! Been around this area many times. Flying into Katmandu with low visibility can be pretty damn harry. Really important to have a TAWS over there. Usually I get runway 20 and I found out you should be no more than 5 NM abeam from the threshold and slow way the hell down to make a safe landing. If you go farther out on your base you'll be in the mountains and once you're about 5 NM away from the runway you have to do a steep dive. It wouldn't be so bad in a single or twin GA, but a 737 could be a real bugger. I just fly my F-22 all over the place right now. I have landed the Lear 45 there and took the Lear around the world and though South America.

dp3e8lP.jpg

It's funny VNKT's glideslope for 20 is just 3 degrees. I don't know if that's the Sim or not, but it should be like 7! LOL

Yeah 29000 ft is a challenge. I wrecked a Baron 58 up there, not even near the summit. There was a ridge that looked easy to get over but I was out of ceiling. Tried to turn away when I saw it was going to hit but not enough control. Love flying in the Himalayas though. The lower slopes look good with no addons, need a scenery for the icy peaks and base camp though. Saw a couple of lakes on the FSX cockpit map approximately between Lukla and Kathmandu, went looking for them and got this shot:

Nepal mountain lakes.jpg

Archived