Help!!!

outcast1563

Instead of WinZip, try 7Zip. It's a more universal sort of zipfile handler. It does super well at unzipping, or creating zipfiles.

It's freeware. Just google 7Zip. You'll get it on the first or second entry.

Second, is your FS9 in the dreaded C:\Program Files or C:\Program files(X86)? If it is, I recommend moving it out. Put it someplace like C:\, or even another drive, if you have one. Especially if you have Win10. It is real touchy about allowing modifications to ANY program in one of "those" folders. Like it stops it entirely. That includes adding ANYthing to FS9. Like, oh, let's just say an aircraft, just for example. :rolleyes:

If you're still having trouble, let us know!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Try to unzip into a temporary folder & have a look whats there. You will probably find a readme there.

You will also be able to see the different files that have been unzipped.

Open the directory where your flight sim sites, & copy & paste the files from the temporary folder into the corresponding folders within the sim itself.

Often, when unzipped, the aircraft is within an "AIRCRAFT' folder., which can be copied over to the sim directory.

If the aircraft is NOT within an AIRCRAFT folder, open the AIRCRAFT folder within the sim, & copy & paste the aircraft from the temp folder into the AIRCRAFT folder of the sim.

All should work.

Take note of the above suggestions, if you have Windows 10, with FS2004 installed in it's default folder in any of the Program Files directory!

You can actually copy from Program Files to C:\ Not forgetting, when you have done that, delete the FS2004 icon on the desktop, open the new folder in C;\ where you have copied the sim into, rightclick the FS2004.cfg file, & send to desktop (create shortcut). It's actually quicker to do than to explain.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I found my FS2004 in program files x86 Im not sure how you want me to move and to where? Also there are several folders in the FS2004.

Yes, there are a number of sub-folders under the FS2004 folder. You want to move any and everything under the folder FS2004 OUT of the \Program Files(X86) folder. Add-on Scenery, Airplanes, Texture, you name it. If it exists in (under) the FS2004 folder, it all goes.

Move it to anywhere you like. Move it so it's under C:\, or D:\Games, where-ever. Just OUT of Program Files(X86).

The only problem is that you will need to UN-install the FS2004 you have now, then install it, again, someplace else. Where-ever you decide to move it to. You haven't added much to it yet, I seem to recall you mentioning, no? If you have added anything, you will need to preserve whatever you have added. Copy the added stuff to a temporary folder, then, once you've installed FS2004 someplace, you can install it back into the new location.

Un-installing, then re-installing someplace else is no great shakes. I don't know how many times I've done it with mine. But it's been more than a few times, I know that.

Hope this helps a little :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Good words indeed, Pat.

So, to recap. My technique is as follows, & I use this to create multiple versions of FS2004.

1. Go to C;\Program Files (X86)

2. Find Microsoft Games, & double-click

3. Copy the whole Flight Sim 9 folder

4. Go back to C:\ & paste the whole Flight sim folder there

5. Go to Step 1 above

6. Go to Step 2 above

7. Rename the original sim folder (just put a 1 at the end of the name)

8. Open the sim folder & find the FS9.exe & also rename it (put a 1 at the end of the name.)

8A. Go to your Desktop & delete the Flight Sim icon.

9. Go back to the pasted sim folder in C:\ & open the folder

10. Right-click the FS9.exe & 'Send to Desktop.

Run it!

You have just created a copy of your original sim, & put it where it will work.

IF you have Window 10, it just might not work, so, right click the new desktop icon, select Properties, select Compatibility Mode (XP) & select Run as Admin.

Voila!

I've used that way to create backups as well as my 6 different versions of FS2004.

It takes longer to explain than to do (apart from waiting for the copying to take place)

P.S... No need to uninstall the original installation, you can just delete the whole thing.

Go to https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library & download the Registry Repair Tool & run it.

This tells the registry where the new copied sim sits.

Phew, a bit long winded, BUT it works!

PM me if you get stuck.

Regards, Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived