Which PC would you pick for FSX?

Jord44

hi guys, im getting a new PC in the next couple days. two different PCs caught my attention...

A)Processor Type

Intel Core i7-8700K

Processor Speed

3.70 GHz

Processor Cores

Processor Cache

12MB L3 Cache

3TB HDD/240GB SSD

RAM

32GB DDR4

Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute)

7200 rpm

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Dedicated Graphic Card

Yes

Video Memory

11 GB

Sound Card

Integrated

Power Supply

800 W

OR??

B)Processor Type

Intel Core i7 9700K

Processor Speed

3.60 GHz

Processor Cores

RAM

16 GB DDR4 2400

2T HDD/480SSD

Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute)

7200 rpm

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI

Dedicated Graphic Card

Yes

Video Memory

11 GB

Power Supply

your help is much appreciated

For me this is simple to answer.......simply call JETLINE, let them tell you what you think you should have and let them build it.....I just did and actually have done it twice and I could not be happier...good luck.(like I told I only fly P3D and FSX)

+1

If you're spending that kind of money, specify your own computer...

For me this is simple to answer.......simply call JETLINE, let them tell you what you think you should have and let them build it.....I just did and actually have done it twice and I could not be happier...good luck.(like I told I only fly P3D and FSX)

Hey Malcott, It is all paid for and I am pretty old man and just want to fly the pmdgs...not build computers...If I have a question I , as I said, simply call JETLINE...have a good day/.

Definitely the 1st spec listed. You don't need SSD's for flight simming. And my advice: get two 1 Tb HDrives and put Windows on C drive and FSX on D drive. Works better. The specs makes this PC 'future proof' as well. Nothing to upgrade unless you want to overclock and then you will need liquid cooling plus a couple more fans. But that '3.7' is when in Turbo Mode (automatic) as it will idle down to 1.6 on it's own - THAT is why I can let my PC stay on 24/7 - it is 'smart' that way. The 800 watt PS is more than you will ever need (good choice). As it is it will be all you need for Simming (and/or video gaming, as far as that is concerned). I bought the parts (got advice of course) and put it together myself. Cheaper that way. But...time is money so a pre-built from these guys is 'ok' (but NOT ok if from Best Buy - they will stick you with cheap 5400 rpm HDrives and you will find you are screwed when it comes time to fly in FSX - get Western Digital Black 7200 rpm (or 10K rpm) or be doomed! Cheers & Beers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Look here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

There is a 117 point difference between the 8700k and the 9700k. The obvious answer is PC # 2. But to be honest, a 117 point difference won't matter all that much.

FS is a CPU driven game, and thus you want the fastest CPU possible. To make matters worse FS is a single threaded game. So you want the fastest single threaded CPU you can afford.

SSDs are nice for loading terrain, etc, and they are practically a huge upgrade in themselves. If you don't have a SSD for the main drive now a days you're doing it wrong. You really don't need NVMe though, the speed is vastly faster, but you won't see it unless you have Apps that use HDD speed. With an SSD your Windows load time should be no more than 10 seconds or lower.

What is the name brand of the PSU? If that's junk forgetaboutit. PSU goes and it will take your whole system with it.

You don't include your budget, or rather, how much cash you have to spend on a new PC: But as stated above, go all in on the CPU you have installed. New Intel chips are currently being introduced that may lower the price on some of the higher-end chips which should be more than adequate to run FSX...

+1 Yes. call Greg at Jetline systems. I have never bought one but I know him and I know of the great systems they built geared directly at flight sim. Great customer service also. :) Personally I build my own systems but have 35 years in the Computer industry supporting fortune 500 company's.

I put this together a few months ago:

i7 8086K @ 5.1 GHz,

CORSAIR H115i Pro Cooler

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,

16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz

8GB GeForce GTX 1080

250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO Series M.2, 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO Series M.2, 1TB WD Black HD

EVGA 650watt SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD,

Corsair Black Obsidian Series 750D case

LG WP50NB40 Ext Blu-ray/CD/DVD Rewriter

Win10 64 bit

I use mine for many flight sims (FSX, P3D, CFS2 etc) exclusively so I tried to consider the future in my parts selections. I would like to explore VR eventually so I built it accordingly, IMHO. I spent $2600.

i7 8086K @ 5.2 GHz, H115i Pro Cooler, GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7, 8GB GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz, 250GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 500GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 1TB WD Black, EVGA 650watt SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD, Corsair Black Obsidian Series 750D case, LG Ext Blu-ray/CD/DVD, Win 10 64bit, Samsung 32” Odyssey G70B 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync

Archived