FSX on Win 10 - dx problem

hippicorn

Running Win 10 Pro 64 bit, build 10586, directx version 12.

FSX deluxe with SP2.

FSX immediately reports it cannot run because directx is incompatible and tells me to reinstall directx 9 by running the setup again, or download it from microsoft. So I ran it again using the repair option - no change. Then I noticed the directx folder on disc 2 and successfully installed it from there - no change. I tried using all compatibility modes - no change. Any ideas please?

I'm thinking you don't have a version of DX that you should have, and being Windows 10, it doesn't have it. You need to go to Microsoft's website and get all of the DirectX 9 files. I'm not sure which ones. Perhaps someone here will know.

Hi hippicorn,

Essentially FSX runs with the DX9c API it can also use DX10 API.

Win10 and even earlier OS'es will not have up-to-date DX9c runtimes these are often installed by the software or game.

ie; The FSX installer would have checked that DX9 and DX9b was installed and offered to install from the disk any missing components, but only up to DX9b as that was the API version of the time, other updates (DX9c + updated runtimes) would have been installed by MS update, but things have moved ahead to DX10, 11 & 12, where DX11 & 12 are included in the Win10 OS. We hardly ever hear a mention of DX8 or DX9 these days, its only us Klingons who continue with ancient titles such as FSX that still work with Win7 Win8.1 & Win10 operating systems.

Win10 will have the latest DX10, 11, & 12 runtimes, but may not have the up-to-date DX9 runtimes.

Here's a link to the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Click the Download button > choose Run > the tool will check for any missing DX9c runtimes and install them, FSX should work then.

It is best to run this tool at least a couple of times and restart your machine inbetween (I have found that there are sometimes additional runtimes that won't install until others have been installed).

Don't expect "MS-Windows Update" to update your old DX9 runtimes they stopped doing this when Win10 - DX11 & DX12 was released.

Thanks for the quick reply Jethrom - I had tried that "Dx end-user" prog before and it ended up with failure to install (win 10 is not on the list of supported systems), but this time I tried it "as Admin" a couple of times and it updated fine and eventually reported that it was up to date. So, I launched fsx and I got the initial screen followed by the "scenery files" message and then . . a fatal error - with no more info than that.

Hi hippicorn,

Scratching my head, what else could be causing your problem. Have you run "dxdiag.exe" "run" from the start button search box, it might reveal what is going on with DirectX, It won't reference DX9 it may only reference DX11 or DX12 in Win10 OS but should reveal if DX9 backward compatible components are working or any other DX display issues. In the first display tab check notes it should show any DX display problems, then click the 64bit button on the Dxdiag opening screen then check the Display tab again there should be notes (no problems found).

Edit: Another thought - what Graphics card are you using, and is it enabled in bios as primary graphics, ie; disable onboard graphics. Also what version Graphics driver are you using, could you elaborate on your PC specification & hardware.

Hippicorn, you may also want to verify that your Win 10 installation is fully updated.

I run Win 10 myself, but way back when, before I installed FSX I installed these DirectX updates, and my FSX version is Acceleration.

Jorgen

Yes, if Win 10 is a recent installation it can take several days or weeks to upgrade to a current version because many updates are updates of previous updates.

The indication here is that your Win 10 Pro installation is FAR from the most current.

I would fix that first...

You're quite right, Mallcott, it can take quite a while on a new installation, but once that's done you only have to worry about the mothly updates.

The absolute priorities for a new system are:

1. Get the hardware set up right, with all drivers updates to the latest level, and

2. Get the OS fully updated.

Some of these tasks may overlap each other.

Jorgen

@ hippicorn,

Instead of using the web installer linked by jethrom in post #3 go to this LINK and download the Direct X Redistributable pack from MS. This file, which dates from Jun 2010, contains not only the latest DX9c files available but also contains files relating to V10, 11 and 12.

Save the .exe file to a temp location - do not select Run from the download options but use the Save (file will automatically be saved into your Download folder) or the Save As options (to save in in a location of your choice).

Right click on the file and select Run as Administrator - this is essential as it will override UAC which may block the install.

Let the installer do its stuff - it will check your system for missing, corrupt and outdated files and then automatically install the relevant files in the appropriate folders.

After the installer has finished reboot the PC using the Restart option (do not use the Shutdown option) and then test FSX.

Regards

Brian

Thank you all for taking the time to answer with your suggestions. I have taken them all on board with the exception of updated win 10 (because that does take some time) and, after reinstalling fsx to c:/fsx rather than the recommended location IT WORKS!!!!

AND so on to the next problem . . . have installed runway12 and EZ sceneries (into Addon Scenery folder) but am unable to add them into the scenery library - on clicking ADD all it does is open up the folder to display the Scenery and Texture folders.

Ah then your issue WAS caused by UAC! In Win 10, UAC seems to be more aggressive then in earlier versions of Windows.

Here's a trick that I use - instead of adding these (and other) libraries to the scenery library, I add them to \Scenery\Global, and this works fine.

So the scenery folder of the library goes to \Scenery\Global\Scenery, and the texture folder of the library goes to \Scenery\Global\Texture.

Jorgen

I assume that you are adding the sceneries in separate folders created within the default Addon Scenery folder - e.g for example Addon Scenery\\

Follow this procedure:

1. In FSX got to the Scenery Settings page and click on Add Area - a new window will open.

2. Navigate to the scenery location (i.e Addon Scenery\\), click on the folder to select it and then click on OK button at bottom right of the window - a new window will open displaying the contents of the folder.

3. Left click anywhere on the white area (not on any of the folders) and click OK.

The scenery should be loaded and appear as the top entry in the list and the database will be rebuilt.

This solution is required because since Win 7 (and the introduction of UAC) something has happened in the way the OS and FSX interacts thus requiring the extra step of clicking on the white area.

Regards

Brian

Archived