FSX military bases

CRJ_simpilot

As most of you probably full well know, M$ didn't do jack with military bases. They took the time to add the damn things, but never included parking. Why would they do that? What good is the airport even being placed in the FS world world without parking?

Every time I want to fly to a military base I have to find it here in the library. What a PITA.

Yep, big PITA. Back in the day, information like diagrams and layouts were controlled and was hard to get. Over the years, I've built up my military base collection using the excellent military airfield work posted by Jim Cook, JB Loney, MAIW, and Ray Smith. I use ADE to tweak to my liking, and I get information from AirNAV, Air Force Magazine, and the Air Force Times Installation Guide that includes all services. I also rely on my personal experience having spent time at many military installations. I can't thank the early developers like Jim Cook and JB Loney for getting me started. For the record, I don't publish or share files because the work and credit belongs to the owners. Good luck.

That's basically what I do for every new location I fly to.

Unlike you, I call it "Part of the Hobby".

Wim

Well, I download airports all the time because I know in large part the default airports suck and don't even have enough parking for all of my AI. I'm just stating that FS took the time to code and throw in all of those military bases but never even bothered to add parking. I just deem it half a$$ as far as I'm concerned. It's like why even bother? Perhaps acceleration includes the parking? I was going to buy it, but I placed it on the back burner for now. Been busy with other things atm.

.....Perhaps acceleration includes the parking? I was going to buy it, but I placed it on the back burner for now. Been busy with other things atm.

Nope - the Accel pack provides no updates to any airports - it does add a few new locations, all associated with the air racing circuits and mission, namely Reno, Istanbul, Longleat, Berlin and Edwards AFB.

Regards

Brian

Well, I download airports all the time because I know in large part the default airports suck and don't even have enough parking for all of my AI. I'm just stating that FS took the time to code and throw in all of those military bases but never even bothered to add parking. I just deem it half a$$ as far as I'm concerned. It's like why even bother? Perhaps acceleration includes the parking? I was going to buy it, but I placed it on the back burner for now. Been busy with other things atm.

Ease up -- people seem to expect all kinds of stuff from a low cost program that was advanced for its time. There are all kinds of things to complain about, if you expect million dollar perfection from a $50 program, which by the way was dropped (remember that) shortly after release, but if you take it as something that hasn't been updated in 12 years (other than P3D) and was a nice improvement over previous versions from a studio that was cash-strapped from MS, then it actually was a pretty good bargain for its time, warts and all.

Of course no one forces you to use it... :pilot:

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Well, I live my life with my glass half empty. Right down to every single particle of hydrogen and oxygen... LOL And I'm a perfectionist and expect perfection. It is perhaps one of my greatest flaws I lead on this rock called 'dirt.'

I swear I'd do this, but I'd need some backers and form an INC. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?306278-If-I-won-the-lotto

I am waiting for someone to do Trenton-Mercer, and Joint Base McGuire–Dix–Lakehurst. They are the fields I remember. But this simulator that we have is what we make of it. I still say it is like a train set. How much detail do you want? Microsoft, I feel they gave us a good platform to work with. We have to build this sim.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Well, there's a scenery for Trenton etc HERE, in the avsim library. Also, in the Avsim library is the Trenton-Mercer scenery, HERE.

There's military add-on scenerys for a LOT of bases. You just have to put forth a little effort. I think the search for the two I just found took me nearly 30 seconds or so. When I say a little effort, stress on the word little.

Good luck, and have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Microsoft, I feel they gave us a good platform to work with. We have to build this sim.

At this point given the vast amount of computing capability and graphics of modern games, FS is pretty well worn in the tooth. It's like trying to keep a model T running and turning it into a hybrid that runs off NG. (Wouldn't that be cool though? LOL :D)

But it is what it is, M$ abandoned us and we are forever stuck with old tech. Yeah, there's X-Plane, but I tried the demo and didn't care for the ATC at all. The night vision was a nice touch. FLIR would be awesome, too!

Archived