FSX will not display texture for AI aircraft or execute flight plan

OleGreyGhost

I am trying to set up a test flight plan with a small local airline using the "ai_cessna_c208b_grand_caravan.zip" by htai. This was D/L from their website: http://htai-models.com/downloads.html . A note on the page related this is an updated file. Could this be a problem??

I set up Doug Roths' repaint of a Southern Airways Cessna 208B: "SA_N905PA.zip " D/L from this sites' library as the texture.

Some files had to be gathered & restructured plus setting up the aircraft "cfg" properly. This was placed in its' own folder {AI Aircraft\AI C208B Grand Caravan} under SimObjects. Double checked my work with Owl Tools a/c editor. The plane displayed the textures w/o any errors.

Set up a simple flight plan using AIFlight Planner v3.2.15. Used a local a/p with a roundtrip of 150 miles. {2 legs} The traffic file was created & placed in the proper scenery location with the other traffic files.

Fired up FSX which loaded w/o any errors. It updated the scenery files, as expected. Started a flight 3 minutes before the flight plan was timed to execute. Observed the Cessna 208B at a parking ramp on the field. When I zoomed in to inspect the aircraft, I noticed it was all white. There wasn't any hint of the Southern Airways texture on the plane.

I noticed during setup that there was a blank texture which came with the model. PS CS6 was not able to load this {BMP} texture due to an improper EOF marker. Dougs' repaint loaded w/o any problems.

Could the repaint texture be in a different {BMP} format??

Also hanging around the a/p revealed that after 20 minutes the Cessna did not execute the flight plan. It just remained parked on the ramp while ground services drove around it.

Additional point of info: I was able to get the original 208B to display its' texture properly while I am still learning to utilize the AIFP software, when I read that using the FSX model would cause framerate problems. Hence the switch to the AI a/c.

Any assistance in resolving this problem will be greatly appreciated....

A note on the page related this is an updated file. Could this be a problem?

Could be if you're using DX10 preview. Try unchecking it.

...while I am still learning to utilize the AIFP software...

One thing to check is if you're using local or UTC (Zulu) time for the FPs.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Thanks for the quick response

I am using local time with the ICAO identifiers..

I just finished figuring out how to get FSX to run smoothly in DX10 and have been enjoying the improvement in the graphics. Would be a real bummer going back to DX9...

Will give it a shot and see what happens...

... and have been enjoying the improvement in the graphics. Would be a real bummer going back to DX9...

I know. I discovered a whole new FSX as well, when switching to DX10 some time ago.

Considered getting Steve's DX10 fixer ?

But first see if switching off DX10 sorts the texture problem.

Wim

switching off DX10 sorts the texture problem.

I now have Southern Airways parked on the tarmac.. But it seems to be running an hour & ten minutes late.

There seems to be is a timing problem with AIFP program. In the .ini file, I have it set for summer, but it seems to load with the standard time checked. When I save the traffic files, the program says it notices the discrepancy in time & makes the correction from standard to summer.

FSX is set to the system clock, to keep everything current.

Which is the better setting, local or UTC ??

Steves' fixer was applied early on. It was one of the main reasons for returning to this sim. Even though the graphics are dated, it's fun poking around & improving the immersion.

Hopefully there is a way to get this into DX 10....

Thanks again, for pointing me in the right direction....

Hopefully there is a way to get this into DX 10...

Tried it when I came home for work.

I see no problems (just did some cosmetic change to the propdisk).

Could it be that, by mistake, you've selected the default blank texture for your FP?

BvSJWcR.png

BTW. Speeling error in the texture filename, it's SAE_N905PA.ZIP.

Wim

Remember that FS9 and FSX AI flightplans don't work together, ALL your AI flightplans MUST be one or the other. FSX native models should be DX10 compatible, FS9 or earlier models won't be.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Remember that FS9 and FSX AI flightplans don't work together, ALL your AI flightplans MUST be one or the other.

OP's flight plan works (see OP).

FSX native models should be DX10 compatible, FS9 or earlier models won't be.

Not when you use the fixer. Above model is FS9, with DX10 enabled.

Wim

Wim: The OP's flight plan won't execute; see the thread title and post#1!

FS9 models have to be converted with Steve's DX10 Fixer to work with DX10, they won't work without it.

OleGreyGhost: AIFP is a very versatile tool for checking and fixing all kinds of AI flightplan and aircraft errors like this, it's well worth reading the manual or just exploring all the drop-down menus to see what's available.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

@ f16jockey_2,

Thanks for taking the time to test the model. Nice to know it will work in DX10. Will finish my trouble-shooting there.

Some files had to be gathered & restructured plus setting up the aircraft "cfg" properly.

The original model did not come with the complete file structure like the FSX AI planes. The {fallback}texture folder was missing. So I created one using the {blank} texture folder.

I realized it might be the blank texture being accessed, so I deleted the [flitsim xx] references to those blank textures. Still, the problem persisted. At this point, I sought some help.

As far as the misspelling {SA}, everything that I can observe is spelled the same way. At this point, it is probably better to remove everything & start from scratch in DX 10. Hopefully I can get it right this time.

@ tiger 1962,

Thanks for taking the time to assist.

I did read in the manual, that when you used the older traffic files, that you must open them up & then convert to the FSX format. In this case, I was starting from scratch & making a new flight plan. Still have a lot more to learn from the manual..

As to it not being executed, I extended the testing time which revealed, the flight leaving more than an hour later.

It seems that when first accessing the program, it defaults to the standard time. Even though I have the program set to {summer} in the .ini file. FSX is set to DST. Probably will just have to train myself to check the summer entry.

Will let you know how it all progresses...

That did not go very well..

Deleted the aircraft & traffic file plus AIFP. Re-installed the aircraft & AIFP. Recreated the flight plan.

Fired up FSX & still had the gray aircraft w/o any texture. This time I did not create the fallback texture folder. Seems it doesn't make any difference.

Switched to DX 9 & the aircraft displayed with the Southern Airways texture w/o a hitch.

At this point I reread Steves' notes on the DX 10 shader fixer. He refers to this as one of the problems that should be corrected. So I re-installed the DX 10 shader fixer.

Fired up FSX, switched to DX10 & shut it down. Fired it up again to let it recompile the DX 10 shaders. No luck.

All I am getting is the gray aircraft w/o any texture.

Tried to load the texture into CS6, but it complains of an unexpected EOF marker. Loaded the texture into XnView w/o any problem. Tried converting it to DXT 3 or another bitmap format w/o any success.

I think this is the old OS/2 bmp format MS finally killed like a lot of other stuff in Win 10.

Is there any other graphic format that this FS 98 aircraft will accept for the texture ??

I am open to suggestions at this point....

I did find another texture that could be read by CS6, so I possibly could work on it.

When I set it up with a flight plan, it just displayed the same grey texture. Steve related that his fixer probably wouldn't work on all machines.

So, like you say, it is best to call it a day on this model even though it came with the airline texture I was looking for..

The Cessna 208B planes on this site use the same FS 98 base model for this AI plane, even though they label it FS 2004.

If anyone can point me to a link for a true FS 2004 or FSX { AI } model it will be greatly appreciated.

I haven't been able to locate a true FS 2004 or an FSX model for this Cessna 208B.

Thanks to all for the assistance......

Any flyable model that displays properly in FSX can be copied and turned into an AI model by editing the aircraft.cfg file and creating an AI plan for them. The downside is if several or many of these show up in your instance, the high polys will cost you frame rates.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

The HTAI C208B is an FS9 model and works fine in FSX. Even in DX10 mode with the use of a fixer.

Capture.JPG

This is in DX10 with the use of Addon Converter X which does the same thing as Steve's DX10 Fixer.

Are you using the payware version of Steve's Fixer or just the freeware shaders?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

@ Jorgen,

Thanks for the heads up to AIG, I'll check them out. It is not the model giving me trouble, it is the texture. Doesn't make sense to buy the model & then find out the texture is still doesn't display.

@ pvarn,

Thanks for the info.

I originally started out with the default 208. As I progressed thru the manual, they pointed out the downside of using the default high poly models. That is when I found the HTAI model.

So, it is now back to searching for a working model.....

Are you using the payware version of Steve's Fixer or just the freeware shaders?

I am just using the freeware shaders. Like Steve said, there are some who will not benefit from his DX 10 fixer.

As an added note, I have FSX running outside windows UAC without using the admin privileges, I want to keep it this way.

Thanks for the response..

Enlighten me about the Addon Converter X....

I am just using the freeware shaders.

Those will not allow you to use FS9 models in DX10 mode, do not bother trying.

To do what you want will require spending a couple bucks.

Enlighten me about the Addon Converter X....

I bought it before I knew about Steve's, wish I had not.

ACX will not work with FSX:SE, last I checked, and there was no indication that would change.

Both programs run in the background and modify files on the fly so FS9 content works in DX10.

I am not up to date on what AIG has done, maybe they have converted the FS9 model to an FSX model. Hope they had Henry's permission.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Those will not allow you to use FS9 models in DX10 mode, do not bother trying.

DX10 displays the model for me & the plane will follow the flight plan. It is just the texture that will not display.

ACX will not work with FSX:SE,

I already own the game, why should I have to ask steam for permission to access it. My surprise when I returned to FSX early this year, to be bombarded with steam ads. Took me all of 2 hours to turn them off. Am not a steam fan.

This is the info posted on the AIG site:

HTAI C208B For FSX Grand Caravan with and without Cargo Pod

New in this model; take off flaps, FS9 style Cabin lights, full night landing lights.

Credits: Gavin Cole (gavinc)

Graham Eccleston (ggeccles)

Tony RD (peluso5)

Works with original HTAI textures with one restriction (see note below), Must convert them to DDS, for better performance.Some notes:

1.- Tested in FSX & FSX DX10 preview mode, with Steve DX10 fixer

2.- Converted to FSX with FSDS3.5 and MCX

3.- To have cabin lights working you must add the included alpha channel in all your day textures repaints

4.- The included xxxx_l texture goes to the main FSX texture folder, to save HD space.

5.- You must delete the old xxx_L texture, not needed any more

6.- Thanks to Henry to let me convert and share this model

7.- If you go to AVSIM, and put in the search term "tomprops*" you will find a variety of FSX prop textures that you can use

Updated with permission from Henry Tomkiewicz, original model available at http://htai-models.com/downloads.html

So my question becomes:

Is Steves' DX 10 Fixer guaranteed to clear up this texture display problem ?? Maybe some one who owns the Fixer can answer this....

Thanks for the honest appraisal of the other program...

Will check out Tonys' solution to see if it will work for me...….

Those will not allow you to use FS9 models in DX10 mode

DX10 displays the model for me & the plane will follow the flight plan. It is just the texture that will not display.

Well, if you want to use FS9 model in DX10, without textures, then you can.

I guess I should have said "not allow you to use FS9 models with correctly displayed textures"

It says right in the AIG description that "Tested in FSX & FSX DX10 preview mode, with Steve DX10 fixer"

I think it is safe to say it will work with Steve's Fixer. That is what the fixer is designed to do, allow us to use S9 models in FSX DX10 mode.

I already own the game, why should I have to ask steam for permission to access it.

I do not understand this comment and how it has anything to do with my statement that ACX does not work in FSX:SE. It is not a permissions issue, ACX was never updated to work with FSX:SE.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

@ StringBean,

Thanks for your help. I got Steves' fixer& it has made a huge improvement, without a big impact on framerates. It also helped with some of the textures.

As for the old FS9 textures, I realize there isn't much that can be done. But you got me digging deeper & in the fine print i realized I missed the difference in the models. That is why I could not get many of the textures to display.

I did find a texture on this site that would work. That allowed me to learn the rest & complete the flight plan project.

Thanks to all who responded....

Archived